dockworkers strike

suec12

5 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It was a rhetorical question (I knew!  bought 1st house in '83).  They just think it's bad now.

I knew that, but it was too easy to actually find out. And you made me curious...

I think I bought my first new car around that time, and interest rates were crazy stupid!

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

I knew that, but it was too easy to actually find out. And you made me curious...

I think I bought my first new car around that time, and interest rates were crazy stupid!

As they are now,  just not to the same level .  #1 and #2 ...

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

My parents never invested in stocks. They bought CD s with high interest rates. When one was redeemed they shopped around until they found a new one to invest in. They did pretty well with those returns. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

My parents never invested in stocks. They bought CD s with high interest rates. When one was redeemed they shopped around until they found a new one to invest in. They did pretty well with those returns. 

LOL.  That is why the level of investment returns are returns invested with inflation...  Real returns...

The real returns are what determines whether a retiree investing in CDs can survive.  Lately they can't.  All returns should be adjusted for inflation for a real comparison from decade to decade or from year to year..

Why is this not a known fact???

If you get a 15% return and the inflation rate is 15% you are not making money...

I made high returns during this period, but again I did not make money...  Lesson learned...    

Edited by NMTraveller

Interesting discussion . Rates are never the issue on home sales… to the average person its the selling price and monthly payments of the home plus the current Taxes and Insurance cost that slow folks down ….the text book said “inflation is cause when there is to much money chasing too few of good”. So, I think More houses would help all of us 

9 hours ago, markeb said:

too easy to actually find out. 

And a couple of years prior they exceeded 16%.  Those thinking current rates are abnormal are historically challenged.

fredgraph.png

13 hours ago, markeb said:

13.87 for a 30-year fixed conventional mortgage...

According to HUD.

We had a 14% 30 year and were thrilled when it settled at 8.5% years later.

It appears that the Longshoremen have agreed on money terms  but not to the automation of the ports and that issue has been tabled until January 15,25. If that does not get addressed then I assume most winter cruises are gonna in play?  Also ,another Hurricane is heading into Fla and I’m guessing all ports will be closed for at least 2 days and more if damaged . Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. 

41 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

It appears that the Longshoremen have agreed on money terms  but not to the automation of the ports and that issue has been tabled until January 15,25. If that does not get addressed then I assume most winter cruises are gonna in play?  Also ,another Hurricane is heading into Fla and I’m guessing all ports will be closed for at least 2 days and more if damaged . Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. 

There are four ports in Florida.  They won’t all be affected.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There are four ports in Florida.  They won’t all be affected.

There are actually five, although few (one?) ship uses Jacksonville. (Just looked. Right now, just the Carnival Elation. The Norwegian Gem joins it in 2025.)

With the current track (5 pm ET Sunday), the Port of Tampa and Port Canaveral are in the crosshairs.