Recommendations for getting to Florence from Rome FCO

tammyjw305

Maybe most people don't do this, but we have round trip flights, for more affordability, to/from Rome. We have two nights pre-cruise and planned a night in Florence and a night at the embarkation port, Trieste. We have train tickets from Florence to Trieste, but I'm struggling with the Rome FCO to Florence. We have a long travel day(s) already -- flight from USA with a 4 hour layover in London Heathrow. The Italian airport looks like it could require a hour to get through passport/immigration, and the flight looks rarely on time per Flightaware. I have not found any very affordable flexible time options on the trains. I have read that long distance trains should be pre-booked. Being a long day already, I hate to build in hours of buffer and have to sit around the airport for a long time. Any good, flexible options that would have availability for us to buy a ticket and get a seat after finishing the passport control or allowed changes if we are late? Or, does Itabus allow purchased at the airport tickets and have space? Any other options? This is for the end of Oct. 

Thanks!

Tammy 

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the juggling of airport destinations and budget!

There are a few reasons why people suggest the buying of tickets in advance for the high speed trains. The most important reason is that these trains can become sold out precisely because they have assigned seats. And, for that reason, when all the seats have been assigned, then no more tickets can be sold. The regional trains, on the other hand, cannot become sold out because there are no seat assignments and that can mean that you'll be standing on the train (hopefully holding a stability assist but maybe not!).

The second huge reason for buying in advance is to make absolutely sure that you get on a high speed train rather than a regional. When you wait until you're at the train station to purchase tickets, then you really need to know the schedule to make sure that you get on the train that will be most comfortable and FAST. The difference between a high speed train and a regional going from FCO to Florence is hours of travel time.

I've found the following link to be most helpful for me when I'm facing a decision like the one you have.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Rome-Airport-FCO/Florence-Italy

At a glance, you can see what types of transportation you could get as well as a general idea of budget requirements. Hope this is helpful to you.

Edited by Member123
autocorrect can be stupid

I would still do the train. You need to take a local train from FCO to Termini, then connect to the high speed train. Your flight should arrive in the morning correct? You still have the full day to get to Florence. 

Curious to hear from you exactly how late your planned flight is. I doubt its too much...

The most important reason to NOT purchase train tickets for travel immediately after a flight is that you have no control over what time you would be ready to travel.

Reduced fare train tickets are highly or completely inflexible.  In most cases the ticket is useless if you miss the train.

There are so many trains per hour between Rome and Florence that there is zero chance of getting shut out.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2024 at 12:41 PM, tammyjw305 said:

I'm struggling with the Rome FCO to Florence. We have a long travel day(s) already -- flight from USA with a 4 hour layover in London Heathrow.

If you're looking for inexpensive, the bus would be your best option, but I question how wise that is after an already long travel day.

The easiest train option, if the timing works for you, is the 13:53 direct train from Fiumicino to Florence.   It's also the most expensive option, at 64 euro per person for last minute tickets.

The least expensive train options are 32 euro per person, for a regional train from the airport to Rome Tiburtina, and another regional from there.

The least expensive overall option is probably the bus, but Flixbus only has one direct a day and it's not until 3:30 PM, so you'd likely waste a lot of time waiting at the airport.

You could also take the train into Rome Tiburtina and a bus from there.

I booked high speed train tickets months in advance for the cruise port to Florence, with a connection in Rome a few weeks ago. What happened was nearly every train was late, making the connection impossible. I found the cruise port station so uncomfortable I refused to wait any longer and took the next train to Rome to wait. It cost me 44€ but it was worth it. Rome train station is huge and chaotic, but we found seating at Eataly, seats at restaurants were competitive and many families were walking through trying to find a place to sit. The bathroom costs 1€ and is on the bottom floor in the corner, it’s a 10 minute walk from the platforms. Our platform showed up on the screen 9 minutes before the train arrived. We went toward the gate, it was extremely crowded with strollers, dogs, and people bumping into each other. My wife’s ticket didn’t scan immediately, it took a minute to angle her phone the right way for the gate to open. Once onboard, we found business class very nice, the seats were comfortable, there was plenty of room, and the dining carriage was next to us for lunch. 

Also beware of 'helpful locals'  who lurk around the train schedule boards in Rome Termini.  The last time my husband and I were there (and we are pretty familiar with the station as we had used it a number of times in the past) a nice young lady approached and asked if we needed any help. I thanked her but said "I think we are OK".  None-the-less she hung around and when I figured out the correct train she insisted on taking us up to the track. Once there, she became belligerent and demanded money for her 'help'. My husband was getting uncomfortable and gave her two euros. But to our astonishment, she insisted on more.  Finally I dropped all pretense of politeness and told her I was going to the 'authorities' if she didn't leave at which point, glaring at me, she did.

14 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Also beware of 'helpful locals'  who lurk around the train schedule boards in Rome Termini.  The last time my husband and I were there (and we are pretty familiar with the station as we had used it a number of times in the past) a nice young lady approached and asked if we needed any help. I thanked her but said "I think we are OK".  None-the-less she hung around and when I figured out the correct train she insisted on taking us up to the track. Once there, she became belligerent and demanded money for her 'help'. My husband was getting uncomfortable and gave her two euros. But to our astonishment, she insisted on more.  Finally I dropped all pretense of politeness and told her I was going to the 'authorities' if she didn't leave at which point, glaring at me, she did.

That behavior is all over Italy. Even with the fixed taxi rate from the airport to Rome our driver tried tricking me into giving more money. He stood there staring at my wallet and was trying to confuse me speaking Italian, even though I already paid. Getting into the car he spoke English, but after spoke none.