Prima cabin selection

ronheg

We will be on the Prima out of Galveston in February.  We have booked a balcony cabin and I’m wondering if we should be on deck 16 just under the observation lounge or if it’s better to be close to deck 8.  On a prior cruise we heard the band playing in a bar one deck below us and we hated it.  We want a quiet cabin during the evening and nighttime hours.  Where would you suggest we book?

My husband is a very light sleeper so here is what I look for on any ship:

1.  Only other cabins above, below, on both sides and across the hall. No public areas above or below and no white space across the hall from your cabin.  Be particularly leery of any space that may be a kitchen

2.  Halfway between elevator banks or at a dead end (cuts down on foot traffic outside your door)

3.  Not near the kids' area, which attracts families and teens roaming around late at night.

4.  No connecting cabins or with many connecting cabins nearby (attracts large/loud groups).

5.  No balcony that is too close to a designated outdoor smoking area.

6.  Not so extremely forward that you might hear the anchor being deployed and not one of the very lowest decks all the way in the aft where you might get rumbling/noise when ship is docking early in the morning.

On the ships (like the Prima) that have expansive decks with indoor/outdoor bars and music venues I would avoid balconies within earshot.

Pretty extensive list, I know, but figured I'd cover all bases. Hope I left you enough to choose from!

For the Prima in particular be aware that there have been reports of cabins in the aft of the ship that have some sort of structural issue that causes loud creaking noises.  This is limited to the Prima.

• Like 2

So, you have established that you don't want to be on a low deck with the potential of hearing people/music. 

And yes, being on Deck 16 (anywhere including under the OL may result in a little sound) 

Pick a deck in between. 

Personally, we are always on Deck 16 (or equivalent on other ships), the highest passenger deck under the pool deck. 

1 hour ago, Travel R said:

Note that we had a balcony above an infinity pool (on Viva, but similar design) and it could get loud outside during the daytime (we were on Deck 11).

Rooms above the pools will be noisy from early until into the evening. It will not bother your sleep, but may be annoying if you are using your balcony. 

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Rooms above the pools will be noisy from early until into the evening. It will not bother your sleep, but may be annoying if you are using your balcony. 

We've had cabins under the pool deck a number of times... the only noise issues we experienced came about in the evenings and mornings when the staff is  "rearranging the furniture" by removing and stacking loungers to put them away in the evenings and then back in position in the mornings.  The dragging noises were quite evident and not great if you wanted to sleep late.  😉

44 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

On Prima I would recommend FWD on Deck 13.  The FWD elevators are more plentiful with less demand.  They drop you right in the atrium.  Deck 13 is easy walk up to the OL on 15.

Edited by ontheweb
delete double post

43 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

On Prima I would recommend FWD on Deck 13.  The FWD elevators are more plentiful with less demand.  They drop you right in the atrium.  Deck 13 is easy walk up to the OL on 15.

We will be mid ship on deck 13. Are you advising that we take the forward elevators?

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We will be mid ship on deck 13. Are you advising that we take the forward elevators?

IMO, yes if it were me I’d use the FWD elevator banks.

also if my post is duplicated it’s because this site is acting up.

4 hours ago, laudergayle said:

IMO, yes if it were me I’d use the FWD elevator banks.

also if my post is duplicated it’s because this site is acting up.

Yes, weird things are happening on the site today, but I did get to give you a like on one post and a thank you on the other, 🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lgdesign said:

We've had cabins under the pool deck a number of times... the only noise issues we experienced came about in the evenings and mornings when the staff is  "rearranging the furniture" by removing and stacking loungers to put them away in the evenings and then back in position in the mornings.  The dragging noises were quite evident and not great if you wanted to sleep late.  😉

I was specifically responding to the post and addressing the infinity pools and day beds on the Prima/Viva/Aqua. They are down on Ocean Blvd (Waterfront) on Deck 8. Our room was above one of the pools and it was pretty noisy all day long and into the evening. 

image.png.97ed5aaaa923a7503105358ea84a6815.png

image.png.7cd4741426047802809fde5eebedb293.png

image.png.c54c51bbfe2be9f9cf50dd91d7bda0a0.png

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, weird things are happening on the site today, but I did get to give you a like on one post and a thank you on the other, 🤣

One other tip we discovered.  Enter the theater on deck 6, port side.  There is a bar there, and you come in in the lowest level where you can easily navigate good seats.  This is also where the Haven has some reserved seating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

One other tip we discovered.  Enter the theater on deck 6, port side.  There is a bar there, and you come in in the lowest level where you can easily navigate good seats.  This is also where the Haven has some reserved seating.

We were on the Prima the summer of 2023, and IIRC that is where we entered the theater.