Cruise Patch

pma29223

There are different transdermal patches sold for motion sickness. Most that can be found online are so called natural remedies, and don't require a prescription. Their efficacy is questionable. 

The patch frequently mentioned for sea sickness is scopolomine ( brand name Transderm Scop) which is a very potent drug with a very long list of contraindications, adverse reactions and warnings. For that reason, anyone thinking of using this drug should first consult their family physician. 

Unless you have a history of refractory motion sickness ( motion sickness that doesn't respond to the usual antinauseant remedies or OTC meds), you might first try something less likely to cause serious side effects. Bonine or Dramamine tablets are 2 common examples. Others will likely add their favorite remedies. Any medication you take for the first time should be tried at home to make sure you can tolerate it, after first consulting your doctor or pharmacist.

• Like 2

Please be very careful about medications, particularly if you will be mixing them with alcohol consumption.  I tried a scopolamine patch at home and it was very unpleasant.  Discovered I have never needed anything even on very rough seas.  We also tried a meclazine - in the evening and felt lougey the next day.  I also have seen people cut the patch in half - as it is a slow release they can get a huge dump of drug that way - please do not do that.  Finally helped a very elderly lady that was stumbling around - she was wearing a patch and told me she had taken Dramamine "to the sure".  I did share with her daughter to keep an eye on her  as she was in danger of falling.  I have a medical background and am still leery of medications and their side effects.

Our doctor would not prescribe the patch. He said too many potential side effects.  He insisted on a couple of over the counter remedies that include dimenhydrinate.  In Canada we have an OTC called Gravol that contains this.  We also have Gravol Ginger.  Great product.

We did the Drake Passage on the way to Antarctica and had 10 metre waves both directions.  The ship dispensed this medication under a generic brand.  50mg I believe.

We took 2 tablets daily one in the morning and one later in the afternoon.  This was all we needed.  Beware, that these make you very sleepy!