Don't get too attached to the cabin you selected!

12 hours ago, Pboyd said:

I am an inexperienced cruiser and have a basic question that I think everyone here can probably answer. It is not a response to the OP question, but does touch on the guarantee issues that have been mentioned.  I am on the 01/03/25 Zaandam 16 day Panama Canal cruise.  I have a Category FF Guarantee window cabin at the very back of the ship. These FF window cabins are unobstructed on Deck 1, and there are only 4 of them.  Why didn't HAL just go ahead and assign me one of those not particularly desirable cabins? Assuming they assign them to other passengers for some reason, what does that mean for my window cabin guarantee? Where could I be assigned? Is it  possible I could be assigned to a better cabin, or is it more likely to be a worse obstructed window cabin? Hope I have been clear.  Thanks

When you book a guarantee, that only guarantees that you will be assigned a cabin in the specific category of the guarantee or ANY other higher category.  So, booking a FF does not assure you of a FF and, in fact, it is likely you will be assigned a cabin in a slightly higher category.  DW and I have been doing guarantees for decades (on many cruise lines) and that routinely gets us into a somewhat higher category, although not necessarily a better cabin.  

While some folks are very particular on the type or specific cabin assignment, there are other cruisers (such as moi) who really are not that picky and will simply book a guarantee in the minimum category they find acceptable.  Why do we do this?  In the past, our best cabins have generally been the one's we got by luck...not choice.  And, our worst cabins were among the one's we chose.  For us, our focus is getting a quiet cabin, and in most cases, that is luck of the draw.  One can book the most expensive best suite on a ship only to discover that it has an annoying rattle, squeak, etc.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

When you book a guarantee, that only guarantees that you will be assigned a cabin in the specific category of the guarantee or ANY other higher category.  So, booking a FF does not assure you of a FF and, in fact, it is likely you will be assigned a cabin in a slightly higher category.  DW and I have been doing guarantees for decades (on many cruise lines) and that routinely gets us into a somewhat higher category, although not necessarily a better cabin.  

While some folks are very particular on the type or specific cabin assignment, there are other cruisers (such as moi) who really are not that picky and will simply book a guarantee in the minimum category they find acceptable.  Why do we do this?  In the past, our best cabins have generally been the one's we got by luck...not choice.  And, our worst cabins were among the one's we chose.  For us, our focus is getting a quiet cabin, and in most cases, that is luck of the draw.  One can book the most expensive best suite on a ship only to discover that it has an annoying rattle, squeak, etc.

Hank

I like your plan.  Thanks!

That's more like it! This is like the HAL forum of olde. Amiable and helpful.

Here's my 2 bits worth about cabin choice. Much depends on the size of the ship. On a small Ponant ship (10k GT), location is not critical. Forward cabins are not more than 10 doorways from midship. And, the superstructure might only have 4 decks of guest cabins.

In any case, most of the cabins are similar. Just stacked on top of each other. Unlike HAL ships, which try to cram as many cabins as possible into a ship. Some Verandas have bigger balconies, and some cabins are square and others elongated.

Another consideration is the sea condition where you are sailing. There are truly violent storms in the North Sea and Bering Sea. Being midship and a lower deck would be better.

Of course, some pax are particular about location on big ships. Being closer to the food or to the entertainment, or to the exercise deck. Experience matters because sailing is a personal experience.

• Like 1

FWIW. I had booked a specific balcony cabin for an upcoming panama cruise on Rotterdam and decided to get the Club Orange added on. Part of the "upgrade perk" is an upgrade to the stateroom. That said, on a hunch, I explained to the rep that I was NOT interested in the cabin upgrade...that I picked that cabin on purpose and do not wish to change. She said that is not normally requested but was glad I said something because she put a specific note in my record that I did not want an upgrade to my current cabin (read:be potentially moved).

So far so good. I have been watching the reservation closely to make sure no changes were made before my final payment is due. 

TLDR: If you want a specific room and decide to add Club Orange, be sure to tell them NOT to upgrade the room.

22 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The exclusion clauses were put there by layers to protect the company from liability. On the other hand, respectful companies will offer compensation even if they are not legally required to do so. Particularly if its their fault. :classic_ohmy:

Let's consider this carefully.

There are minor remedial or upgrade work that requires only a few hours. HAL would not close the stateroom for the entire cruise.

There are serious repair issues that may take days of work. Yes, HAL may have to cancel that stateroom for an entire cruise. But, they would do this ASAP. Not give several months notice?

For whatever reason that HAL bumped the OP, a respectful company would be contrite and placate the pax. Particularly since it is not the OP's fault.

Let's remember that the OP made a careful early booking of a coveted stateroom. This was not a guarantee favored by some people on this forum. Therefore, the OP was righteously angered. And, outraged by the lack of respect by HAL. This is the kind of customer service that I would expect from Carnival. Take it or leave it! 🧐

Let's hope that this is not a glimpse into HAL of the future! 😏

It depends upon what work they are doing. Something like a complete failure in a room they might have to do immediately. But other things they might handle such as Celebrity did by doing a few cabins that needed door seals and carpet repla ed by taking a few rooms out of service and having the work  crews on board. All depends upon the work they need to do, when the next drydock is and what is scheduled then. In some cases it is also what could not get done in the previous dry dock due to lack of time or in some instances because needed materials did not arrive in time.

Costs much less to take a few cabins out of service for a cruise including maybe a few different cabins on each of a few cruises  then to have to extend the next drydock or to not have time to get the work done at all.

8 hours ago, JAYVIATION said:

FWIW. I had booked a specific balcony cabin for an upcoming panama cruise on Rotterdam and decided to get the Club Orange added on. Part of the "upgrade perk" is an upgrade to the stateroom. That said, on a hunch, I explained to the rep that I was NOT interested in the cabin upgrade...that I picked that cabin on purpose and do not wish to change. She said that is not normally requested but was glad I said something because she put a specific note in my record that I did not want an upgrade to my current cabin (read:be potentially moved).

So far so good. I have been watching the reservation closely to make sure no changes were made before my final payment is due. 

TLDR: If you want a specific room and decide to add Club Orange, be sure to tell them NOT to upgrade the room.

We were on the Koningsdam November 2023 in an aft facing Verandah cabin, the specific cabin we wanted. Two months after booking the cabin and after reading about CO here, we added the CO and turned down the upgrade since we were already in the highest category. Instead, we were given a $50pp OBC credit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

That's more like it! This is like the HAL forum of olde. Amiable and helpful.

Here's my 2 bits worth about cabin choice. Much depends on the size of the ship. On a small Ponant ship (10k GT), location is not critical. Forward cabins are not more than 10 doorways from midship. And, the superstructure might only have 4 decks of guest cabins.

In any case, most of the cabins are similar. Just stacked on top of each other. Unlike HAL ships, which try to cram as many cabins as possible into a ship. Some Verandas have bigger balconies, and some cabins are square and others elongated.

Another consideration is the sea condition where you are sailing. There are truly violent storms in the North Sea and Bering Sea. Being midship and a lower deck would be better.

Of course, some pax are particular about location on big ships. Being closer to the food or to the entertainment, or to the exercise deck. Experience matters because sailing is a personal experience.

If you book obstructed views at lower prices sometimes with some research you will often find that not all obst views are equal...some are totally blocked with a lifeboat hanging right over your window...others have way better views and some have almost completely unobstructed views...you can see pics of some of the views and try and pick the best views..i did 20 days on diamond and had an obstructed class room but had wide open view....you have to book way in advance to get these rooms which is what i do...once booked i have them mark do not upgrade and so long as it is not a room which holds 3 or 4 which i hate no problems...on diamond i hit the jackpot with great view plus location that i loved...

• Thanks 1