P&O Adventure - looking for some advice please after P&O hiatus

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've cruised P&O, with bulk of my P&O cruises 2005-2012.

We did a short cruise in 2016 and had felt it changed quite drastically, but I'm going to put that down to the very small ship (Eden) and some teething issues they had at the time.

Have booked on Pacific Adventure for a 3 nighter on 27 December, just as a bit of a getaway between the Christmas/New Year closures with work, and looking for some help please with some general queries as I've found things have changed since 2016's short cruise.

I have already downloaded app as a starting point.

DINING

I've read that I can select online my preference of dining time (etc early or late I believe) and that the cruise line will automatically assign us dining across the three dinner dining spaces each night. 

When/where do I make this selection?

Being a three night cruise, would it be fair to assume that we would be assigned one of each restaurants?

Do we find out our allocations when onboard etc a letter in our room?

CHECK IN/BOARDING TIME

When can we expect this to open up for selection? If it's X days prior, is that based on AUS or US timezone? Does it open up particular time of day? Etc with Carnival I believe it was midnight.

THEME NIGHTS

Being a comedy theme cruise, is it safe to assume this is the theme for the three nights and no other traditional theme nights?

Am I okay to assume that there is no longer the traditional "formal night/elegant night and associated attire" that we would need to adhere to, to eat in the three restaurants each night? Not keen on buffet for dinner. My interpretation of what I'm gathering is that P&O is now much more casual and relaxed than 20 years go.

PAST PAX PERKS

Previously there were invites to Captains Welcome event for past passenger. Does anything like this still exist?

Is there anything exciting we should know about sailing P&O again? Any fun events to look out for? Or amazing spaces?

Have read about a cocktail class which sounds great.

Thanks all for your time, have a great day!

It has been a couple of years for us too, and I don't pay as much attention on P&O as we used to. It is a good way to spend Christmas/New Year, and we did pretty much the same on Splendor last year.

Dining options can be selected on the website a couple of months prior to boarding. You can change this day to day by using the app after boarding, or by heading to Dragon Lady. Online check-in is also on "Cruise Control" on the website. Not sure about choosing embarkation, but they may also sit at around 60 days when you are also able to print documents.

Comedy cruises feature comedy shows, but they will usually still have theme nights. Unless advise in your travel docs, a 3 nighter will have Bianco (white) and Gatsby nights. No formal night, but a dressy optional "cocktail" night, which will also be the Gatsby night if they have it.

I think the Captain's welcome still exists, also on the cocktail night.

Dining and embarkation selection is usually available on cruise control 60 days prior to sail date. 

No previous passenger perks on P&O. Not sure about Captain's welcome. Didn't happen on Encounter last year unless I slept through it.🙄 There was a formal night on our 7 days cruise not sure about 3 days.

Can highly recommend the Blue Room, great music and the Bonded Store which is a very classy bar.

I'm going on a Comedy Cruise this weekend (on Encounter, but same same). 

1st night will be Bianco (White night). 

2nd night will be Gatsby. 

3rd night is Smart Casual. 

I picked my dining time and my boarding time in Cruise Control at 60 days before the cruise. But I had my cabin number picked already. So this will be closer to the cruise if you are waiting for a cabin to be allocated. 

No past passenger perks on P&O whatsoever anymore, I wish there was. My next cruise is on Princess so I will benefit then. 

Edited by CDaze71
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your insight and replies!

Re selecting dining and boarding 60 days prior (we already have our cabin assignment), this would be next Monday.

Would this open 00.01am on the Monday (just past midnight) or does it open later in day? Being only a short cruise, we’re keen to make the most of our time onboard and hope to get an early boarding time.

For the theme nights, if we choose not to dress accordingly, will we still get into the bags and dining rooms? Again with a short cruise, want to keep the packing simple and limited.

Thanks heaps!

29 minutes ago, LuckiePuris said:

Re selecting dining and boarding 60 days prior (we already have our cabin assignment), this would be next Monday.

Would this open 00.01am on the Monday (just past midnight) or does it open later in day? Being only a short cruise, we’re keen to make the most of our time onboard and hope to get an early boarding time.

For the theme nights, if we choose not to dress accordingly, will we still get into the bags and dining rooms? Again with a short cruise, want to keep the packing simple and limited.

Thanks heaps!

Those Bianco & Gatsby P&O theme nights have been the same for 10 years, with less and less people participating each time we cruise P&O. You can pretty much get into the dining room with stubbies and thongs, so definitely no compliance to the theme nights in the dining room or anywhere else on the ship. I preferred to wear black on bianco night.

I don't recall specifically about boarding times, but pretty sure it wasn't at 12:01, but sometime in office hours when somebody rolled into P&O with a latte and flicked a switch. Check often.

1 hour ago, LuckiePuris said:

Thanks heaps!

It’s P&O, some people wear shorts and singlets to the dining rooms.

Others have answer the questions but I will make one small alteration to Geoff's first post regarding dining bookings. You will find a letter in your room with your dining bookings. If you want to change anything you can do so. This used to be done in the Dragon Lady Restaurant, but we found on our last P&O cruise that it was at a desk set up near the Reception desk. If you want to change your dining allocation, I suggest you check which location applies on your cruise.

• Like 1

As for what time the bookings open.............. Ours is a 7 day cruise, but I shouldn't imagine that would make any difference. I logged on to cruise control at 8:30am and could select dining, but the embarkation selection was still greyed out. Looked again at 9:00am (yes, Geoff, they might have had a long queue at the cafe for that latte) and still no joy. Rang P&O around 10am and went around in ever expanding circles being told 'you have to wait for the bookings to open'. 'But they are open, I booked dining'. 'You have to wait for the bookings to open'. 'But....' You get the picture. Anyway, I just kept checking and was finally successful at 11am. No trouble selecting the time. All slots were available.

As for the theme nights............ It is entirely up to you. You will still be able to dine in the restaurants, though smart casual is preferred if you choose not to dress up.

• Haha 1

Never seen anyone in stubbies and thongs in Angelos or Dragon lady, buffet yes, but never in main restaurants.

Very, very few dress up, most wear casual attire most of the time.

Just remember it's a budget, family cruiseline so enjoy yourself and don't get up tight about other people and have a great time.

Daz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazadelaide said:

Never seen anyone in stubbies and thongs in Angelos or Dragon lady, buffet yes, but never in main restaurants.

Very, very few dress up, most wear casual attire most of the time.

Just remember it's a budget, family cruiseline so enjoy yourself and don't get up tight about other people and have a great time.

Daz

Yep they are there in Waterfront, Angelos and Dragon lady.  Buffet on last two cruises seems footwear was optional.  We choose P&O because we can drive to port in 40 mins and it’s cheap.  Allows us to cruise 3 or 4 times a year. Not uptight about what others do just making an observation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Yep they are there in Waterfront, Angelos and Dragon lady.  Buffet on last two cruises seems footwear was optional.  We choose P&O because we can drive to port in 40 mins and it’s cheap.  Allows us to cruise 3 or 4 times a year. Not uptight about what others do just making an observation.

+1.

I am happy to let anyone do their own thing on their cruise, as long as they don't interrupt me from having a great time. I don't judge or play ship cop. On our last 1/2 dozen P&O cruises on Explorer/Dawn/Eden we have seen several examples of thongs and casual shorts in the dining room, including on the optional cocktail nights. I will add football jumpers to that as well as the quintessential Queensland formal shirt - the long sleeved fishing rashie. Doesn't worry me in the least, but if someone asks whether they need to make a special effort, my observations will guide my answer.

Maybe I just haven't noticed as clothing options are not something that I stress about.

I spent 40 years of my working life in the rag trade and can appreciate good quality fabrics and styling.

Overall my assessment on clothing has always been wear what you feel comfortable in and don't wear anything that will get you noticed unless that is your intention.

So live and let live just don't interrupt my holiday as I won't interrupt yours

As Arxcards said above, I too don't judge or play ship cop.

I will keep an extra eye out as we are taking the grandkids on the Explorer in early Dec most likely our last P&O cruise.

Daz.

Edited by dazadelaide
spelling
  • Like 2

I must admit 99% of the time I am oblivious to what people are wearing. I actually like the opportunity to dress up, so I usually do for theme nights, formal and cocktail nights. That's my choice. If others don't, that's their choice.

We were on Pacific Adventure last month from OPY Sydney.  I had a 2pm boarding time.  Got a late checkout from hotel and walked to OPT to drop off bags,  we were going to go for a walk to the Opera House.  Saw there was no line at about 1145, wandered over to see if there was any chance we could get on early.  Was told check in times didn’t matter and to go through.  Magnificent- was on eating lunch in the dining room at 1230.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2022cruisey said:

We were on Pacific Adventure last month from OPY Sydney.  I had a 2pm boarding time.  Got a late checkout from hotel and walked to OPT to drop off bags,  we were going to go for a walk to the Opera House.  Saw there was no line at about 1145, wandered over to see if there was any chance we could get on early.  Was told check in times didn’t matter and to go through.  Magnificent- was on eating lunch in the dining room at 1230.

That happened to us on Encounter out of Brisbane last year. We arrived an hour early and were quite prepared to wait (we're not over eager. Just like to leave plenty of time in case of hold ups on the highway). We were waved straight through, though it took a while to get through security.

• Like 1