San Diego Hotel Poll

hardingk

Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn San Diego  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn San Diego

• Hampton Inn
    • Holiday Inn
    • Other

For those of you that have stayed in San Diego Pre or Post cruise, would you recommend staying at the Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn? I have a room booked at both for our cruise next week, but can't decide which one. I have the same rate for both, but at the Hampton Inn I got a suite. Both include free breakfast, the Holiday Inn is right across the street from the pier, the Hampton in is 5 blocks away. Both offer a free shuttle, to and from the pier & the airport.

For those of you that have stayed in San Diego Pre or Post cruise, would you recommend staying at the Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn? I have a room booked at both for our cruise next week, but can't decide which one. I have the same rate for both, but at the Hampton Inn I got a suite. Both include free breakfast, the Holiday Inn is right across the street from the pier, the Hampton in is 5 blocks away. Both offer a free shuttle, to and from the pier & the airport.

You don't need a shuttle at the Holiday inn, you just walk over to the ship. And the ship is right outside your room when you wake up on cruise day (bay view room).:D

We stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott before our Mexican Riviera Cruise last year. It is a relatively new hotel that has spacious suites and is within walking distance of many good restaurants. This hotel also provides free shuttle service to the airport, as well as the cruise terminal.

My husband has spent time in San Diego on business and says that you are better off with the Holiday Inn. The Hampton Inn is near the train station and you can hear every train that goes by all night long.

sue

We stayed at the Holiday Inn before our Feb cruise on Mercury. Just waking up in the morning and watching Mercury sail into the port from the hotel was worth the experience. Never seen anything like it! If you are in the south tower (we were), if you get on the glass elevator, you are looking directly at the ship. AWESOME. We checked out and walked across the street with our luggage to board! I want to go back NOW!!!!

Have a great time whatever you decide. It's a great port to depart from.

Thanks for the advice. I guess we will stick with the holiday Inn. I have read bad things about the train in San Diego. I really just wanted my Hilton Honnors points, but I guess we are better off at the holiday Inn. I did book a bayview room!

Thanks for the advice. I guess we will stick with the holiday Inn. I have read bad things about the train in San Diego. I really just wanted my Hilton Honnors points, but I guess we are better off at the holiday Inn. I did book a bayview room!

Have you checked out other Hilton properties there, maybe one of the Embassy Suites? You can see what is available by doing a search on hilton.com.

sue

Have you checked out other Hilton properties there, maybe one of the Embassy Suites? You can see what is available by doing a search on hilton.com.

sue

Yeah, the ES was $100 more then the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn.

You'll be very happy at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. I don't think I have ever found so many excuses to ride an elevator! Good food places nearby too, from snacks and bar food to restaurants. I walked across to the ship the morning of departure with no hassle.

Phil

Hey Phil!

What's your next cruise?? Still plenty of room on the 7May06 Summit/Alaska and the prices are great. We could do a singalong of Tom Lehrer songs in the piano bar.:D

Have they refurbished that Holiday Inn recently? Even though its location was tempting, we didn't stay there because we had heard from a number of reliable sources that it was not a very nice hotel. Since there are so many good hotels that are in close proximity to the cruise terminal, we didn't want to stay at a place that was iffy.

Have they refurbished that Holiday Inn recently? Even though its location was tempting, we didn't stay there because we had heard from a number of reliable sources that it was not a very nice hotel. Since there are so many good hotels that are in close proximity to the cruise terminal, we didn't want to stay at a place that was iffy.

I have read that as well...but I don't want to listen to a train all night either!

HardingK, do you belong to AAA? If so, they have good discounts on some of the nicer hotels near the cruise terminal that are not in close proximity to a train. You can find out what is available with a AAA discount by going to their website. In addition, some hotels offer a substantial discount if you prepay for the room at the time of booking, but are not refundable.

HardingK, do you belong to AAA? If so, they have good discounts on some of the nicer hotels near the cruise terminal that are not in close proximity to a train. You can find out what is available with a AAA discount by going to their website. In addition, some hotels offer a substantial discount if you prepay for the room at the time of booking, but are not refundable.

Nope, not a AAA memeber...:(

Nope, not a AAA memeber...:(

We stayed at the Holiday Inn prior to our Dec 2005 Mexico cruise and it was great. We were in the South tower with a bayview room and watched the parade of lights and a spectacular fireworks show. I'd stay there again in a minute!:D

I wasn't expecting a luxurious hotel and it wasn't, but it was clean and tidy and well decorated from what I saw. I have to say, the outside colours don't do it any favours, but it was fine inside.

Hey George. Tom Lehrer in the Piano Bar. LOL. What a cultural meltdown that would be! Still have some of his stuff saved on my computer. Have a great cruise.

Phil

I guess I am partial. Just like you, we try to get those HHonors points. We usually stay at Embassy suites or Hampton Inns everywhere we travel. Then when we get enough points we cash them in for hotels in cities we normally could not afford like NY City, London and Rome. Actually we do like Holiday Inns as well, but we like the breakfasts at Hampton Inns better. If you are concerned about the noise enjoy your stay at Holiday Inn. When we can't do Hilton we look for Holiday Inns or nice BEst Westerns. NMnita

Archived