Extreme Measures

Eleris

I was just browsing the other boards when I found this posting on the big "C" regarding passengers being tossed off the ship. Not tossed into the water but purposely left behind in the Bahamas. The news link is http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...334/1003/rss03

and worth a quick read. I find it quite interesting that they were not at least told by the Captain if they did not gain control of their behavior (assuming it was as bad as they claim) that they would be put off the ship. It sounds to me the grievances they had were quite real and unsanitary to say the least. Perhaps they did not handle it as well as they should have with their complaints but it sounds like they were not getting any resolution from the big "C" either.

I was just browsing the other boards when I found this posting on the big "C" regarding passengers being tossed off the ship. Not tossed into the water but purposely left behind in the Bahamas. The news link is http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...334/1003/rss03

and worth a quick read. I find it quite interesting that they were not at least told by the Captain if they did not gain control of their behavior (assuming it was as bad as they claim) that they would be put off the ship. It sounds to me the grievances they had were quite real and unsanitary to say the least. Perhaps they did not handle it as well as they should have with their complaints but it sounds like they were not getting any resolution from the big "C" either.

It does sound like Carnival rushed the ship back into service but always remember that we are only hearing one side of the story, that of the passengers who were thrown off the ship.

Wow...just how bad does someone's behavior have to be to get thrown off a Carnival ship??? I've been on two Carnival cruises, both large new ships out of NY, and you wouldn't believe some of the behavior that people think is appropriate "because I'm on vacation". I don't see that on any other line, and I've been on about 12 cruises. I wouldn't sail Carnival again if it were free.

I find it interesting that the professions of the tossed passengers was brought up....maybe a ploy to get some outcry from the public.

I have known a number of folks that have been to Iraq as well as police and firefighters that think they are above the law and do not need to obey any authority but their own. After a few drinks they are totally beligerant.

I am not saying this was the case, but in a situation that is less than perfect, AND only hearing the media hype where they DO BRING IN exteraneous details like "Iraq var veteran and police officer" that we are not getting the full story, but a biassed attempt to cover up their bad behavior no matter what it may have been.

Personally I don't care if they were Jesus, Joseph, and Mary.....If they were being verbally to the expectation of being physical...they should be removed at their own expense.

Dave:eek:

The news report talks of problems all over the ship, with some people even sleeping in cots in the hallways...

I bet the number of complainers drastically dropped after word spread of 6 folks getting dumped off the ship after complaining!

Maybe it was simple crowd control by example? After the near mutiny on the QM2, maybe Carnival has learned a thing or two about how to control unruly passengers?

Theron

That's just one of many reasons I will never step foot on a Carnival ship. Even if it was free. I look at the C boards once in a while and it really is a whole different world and a totally different attitude over there. I want nothing to do with it really. I will stick with X and possibly give Princess a try one day.

Jeff

I look at the C boards once in a while and it really is a whole different world and a totally different attitude over there.

It is an entirely different world/attitude over there...if this was indicative of cruising in general, I would be finding another vacation alternative...I'm grateful there are several lines that suit or "style" (or lack there of ;) ).

The news report talks of problems all over the ship, with some people even sleeping in cots in the hallways...

I bet the number of complainers drastically dropped after word spread of 6 folks getting dumped off the ship after complaining!

Maybe it was simple crowd control by example? After the near mutiny on the QM2, maybe Carnival has learned a thing or two about how to control unruly passengers?

Theron

Flogging is being brought back as group entertainment on Carnival.

I agree with all of the above. Message to those that think they can recreate a QM2 protest. Be careful. Your Captain may not appreciate it and has the final word. Can't think what they said or did, but it must have been pretty bad to be "kicked off the ship". Don't you just love the way the press express things in such thought provoking terms:rolleyes:

Wait until you get back home and tackle it in a clear, concise and calm manner otherwise you may end up with an impromptu cruise and stay.

Phil

That's just one of many reasons I will never step foot on a Carnival ship. Even if it was free. I look at the C boards once in a while and it really is a whole different world and a totally different attitude over there. I want nothing to do with it really. I will stick with X and possibly give Princess a try one day.

Jeff

Actually Carnival owns Princess and HAL and many more cruise lines.:D

Before we all go patting ourselves on the back, for not being the kind of people that cruise with Carnival, let me share this tale...

Last week when I was on the Summit to Hawaii I was chatting with one of the Barmaids. Perhaps, you know her because she has been with Celebrity for a few years. Her name is Teresita. She usually works the Martini or Champagne bar.

She told us that 2 tables of guests were ousted from the ship for very aggressive food fighting between the tables. Can you imagine?:eek: I pressed for a few more details but that was all I got.

But why were people sleeping in the halls?

The article mentioned early in the thread has this paragraph about the subject:

During the cruise, after what appeared to be sewage bubbled up in the bathroom drain of their cabin, Nathan and Jennifer Leslie demanded to speak to the captain. She said other passengers had to sleep on cots in the halls because there were problems with their rooms.

If it was really sewage in the room, I can see where it could be uninhabitable.

Theron

I'm concerned that these people who were disembarked NEVER received a warning. While they were having lunch in port the crew apparently brought their luggage out to the dock and didn't allow them to get back onboard. Everyone should receive a warning of what they need to do to avoid the ultimate consequences. Carnival is not a class act.

Carnival is not a class act.

I expect that makes them a good match for much of their clientel...

The "victims" wouldn't be taking liberties with the truth, would they??:rolleyes:

Of course the victums are slanting things to paint themselves in a more favorable light BUT so is carnival. Everyone deserves to be a given a warning, preferably in writing. Even in or jobs the company usually doesn't fire a person without first talking to them and writing up the problems giving you time to make the necessay changes. From what I've read carnival had major problems on this sailing and the complaints were valid although I don't know how these people expressed themselves. From the customer relations angle Carnival should have tried to placate these people.

Archived