Tipping ?

We have only cruised Princess which has the auto tipping, we usually just left the auto-tip in place and gave a little extra to a few people at the end.

If I understand correctly RCCL doesn't automatically add in a tip but is an option or you can give cash at the end. My question is... If I auto-tip is it put in a pool for all the staff or given to my waiter, cabin steward, etc? Would they be better if we just gave them the amount individually?

Thanks!!

Liz

If you auto-tip, you will get a voucher for the amount you tipped to put in the tip envelope on the last night. You then give that to your servers, so they get their own tips from you. You can certainly tip more, if you feel you had great service! The only tips that are pooled are to the bartenders where the tip is added automatically. Once again, you can tip extra, and that goes to the particular server.

From what I understand, the downfall from the waiters/cabin attendant's getting tips that are vouchered is that this money is added to their actual pay check, which can be 2 or more weeks after the actual sailing. They get the money, but not as timely as cash in the envelope option.

I think we may just go with straight cash. Do they ask if you want the tip added to your SeaPass card (just so I don't double-tip)?

Yes. They assume you will pay cash, but around day 2 or 3 there will be a note in your cabin letting you know if you want the tips added to your seapass to fill out the form and drop it off at the purser's desk. If you don't fill it out and turn it in, your seapass will not be charged.

They bring by a paper to your stateroom that you fill out and stop by the pursers to set-up the automatic tip. If you do it that way or as part of your reservation, you'll get vouchers the final evening of your cruise.

From what I understand, the downfall from the waiters/cabin attendant's getting tips that are vouchered is that this money is added to their actual pay check, which can be 2 or more weeks after the actual sailing. They get the money, but not as timely as cash in the envelope option.

Frankly who cares if it takes two weeks to get to them. Since they are on a contract they can't spend it anyway and they probably have the same problem as the passengers do in people stealing cash from them. (how many threads going now on stealing of jewlery or cash from locked safes). I like the idea I don't have to carry cash around. Many people(not all) who say they leave cash instead don't tip the full amount.

Frankly who cares if it takes two weeks to get to them. Since they are on a contract they can't spend it anyway and they probably have the same problem as the passengers do in people stealing cash from them. (how many threads going now on stealing of jewlery or cash from locked safes). I like the idea I don't have to carry cash around. Many people(not all) who say they leave cash instead don't tip the full amount.
Sid, I have not seen any of these.........:eek: ............. where?

Archived