1st Balcony... Is Aft the Best?

In my opinion, yes! We had an aft for our first cruise and since have booked around them being available. Some will say they don't like them simply becase they are far from everything but I like that best! So quiet and secluded. It feels like you have the ship to yourself back there.

This will be our first cruise with a balcony... all things being equal is aft the best choice or can someone enlighten me???

NO!!! Whatever you do, DO NOT GET AN AFT BALCONY. They are AWFUL.

And if new cruisers like YOU keep taking them, there will be none left for ME.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

If the size of your balcony is important to you, then book an aft balcony.

If it is not, then you could try a side balcony. It is a personal opinion, personal taste in staterooms. Some would go no other way, some don't really care if they have an aft or not. I have had both. I like them both, but would not go out of my way to book an aft.

On an aft, you cannot see straight down into the water. You see things after they pass by the back of the ship. On a side balcony, you see things as you approach them and pass them by.

If these things are important to you, do not book an aft.

An aft cabin is also a long walk from the elevators. But it has a secluded feeling to it also. In addition, that part of the ship rocks to and fro quite a bit more than center. Just like the foward part of the ship pitches quite a bit more than center.

I hope this helps you.

We love every minute of a aft balcony. Even the walk (which you need after all those wonderful meals),the privacy, drinks and breakfast on the veranda,sunbathing when pool too crowded. The movement never has bothered anyone in our family(4 of us).Bonine helps with that every morning or ginger caplets during the day.Some ships I've heard good and bad about the aft. I can only say wonderful on all we have sailed. Can't wait till August on Rhapsody(another corner aft!!!):)

Hi

You will definitely love having a balcony cabin no. DH/I had our first one last year for our 10th anniversary and we loved it! Almost every day we had breakfast delivered to our room and sat outside. Wonderful way to start the day.

DH/I haven't been in an aft cabin but it all depends on what you prefer. From what I heard from friends or based on my experience, listed below is the pros of balcony cabins.

Aft Cabins:

• More secluded area.
  • Very quiet since you're in the back of the ship.
  • Great view of the water.
  • Longer walk but you can burn off those extra calories you're eating/drinking.
  • Might have to deal with soot.
  • Larger balconies depending on which one you select.
  • Will feel the motion of the ship more.

Hump Cabins:

• Located in the center of the ship.
  • Near elevators/stairs.
  • Less walking to your favorite places on the ship.
  • The corner hump balconies on the ship are slightly larger than the standard balcony cabins.
  • Great view and you have this floating effect since the hump cabin sticks out of the ship.

Standard Cabins:

• Great view.
  • More options of where you would like to be on the ship (toward the front, back, center).
  • If you are located near a service area, you might hear some noise from the staff (cabin stewards, room service staff, etc.). One thing you have to be careful when selecting your cabin.

Having a balcony cabin is great and many of us has our favorite locations for many reasons. It's a matter of what you prefer.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise and enjoy the balcony!

On an aft, you cannot see straight down into the water. You see things after they pass by the back of the ship. On a side balcony, you see things as you approach them and pass them by.

If these things are important to you, do not book an aft.

If you have an aft wrap around balcony like the vision class ships have you can see the side and you can look directly down to the water.

We actually saw a school of dolphins swimming next to the ship on our past Rhapsody cruise. We had a wonderful view!

Hi

[*]The corner hump balconies on the ship are slightly larger than the standard balcony cabins.

LEtsParty- this is the info I have been wanting to find out more on. We are holding hump cabin 7328 on voyager ,,is this the type of corner hump cabin you were referring to?

thanks

Personally, we tried it once and don't plan on ever booking one again. However, we're not into laying out in the sun, eating breakfast on the balcony or seeing where we have been (watching the wake). We much prefer to be close to the elevators or towards the center of the ship. For us, the benefit of being close to the elevators, and thus close to most things on the ship, is a much better draw for us than any aft balcony.

bgmtrans

Hi

Sorry that I didn't respond to you sooner.

I'm viewing the deck plan for Voyager (great ship btw) and the cabin you're looking at is at the end of the hump. It looks like your balcony will be a little larger than the standard balcony cabins. To be absolutely sure, contact your TA and/or RCI and asked them about the balcony size to be on the safe side.

Good luck with planning your cruise and have fun!

Thanks Trish

I did call Royal carribean but the agent said that they could not be certain if it was a larger balcony or not.The other option isaft balcony cabin 7388 which I have heard great things about .I am just a little worried about motion in that aft section

Thanks for replying !:)

What class of ship are you sailing? I just ask because I have heard on the Voyager class there are sometimes soot problems on the aft balconies. On the other hand, we have had aft on the Radiance class and loved them. No soot problems, very minor vibration (only when docking) but I understand that is because they have different types of engines. Enjoy your aft....they are wonderful IMO.:D

Thanks Trish

I did call Royal carribean but the agent said that they could not be certain if it was a larger balcony or not.The other option isaft balcony cabin 7388 which I have heard great things about .I am just a little worried about motion in that aft section

Thanks for replying !:)

My wife is pretty sensitive to motion sickness and she did fine in the Enchantment aft balcony we had. I don't think you'll have much problems with additional motion on Explorer. It's a larger, newer ship with better stablization than than Enchantment.

What class of ship are you sailing? I just ask because I have heard on the Voyager class there are sometimes soot problems on the aft balconies. On the other hand, we have had aft on the Radiance class and loved them. No soot problems, very minor vibration (only when docking) but I understand that is because they have different types of engines. Enjoy your aft....they are wonderful IMO.:D

Hi we are going on the Voyager ..I did read something about soot problems on these ships, I hope that it isn't too bad .

Thanks !

Dougp26364,

Did you have a soot problem on your aft cabin on Enchantment? We have an aft cabin on deck 7 for our Enchantment cruise in July. We can't wait.

"Once you go aft, you always go back.":rolleyes:

You can see for yourself what the aft balconies are like. Each deck is a bit different and the corner balconies are also different than the center aft balconies. Just an FYI for the poster who asked about 7388... 7388 and 7688 are the largest balconies on the ship!

http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

bgmtrans:

I can't believe that RCI couldn't help you out since they should have the measurements of the cabins/balconies. Go figure.

From looking at Bonnie's pictures, I would say the heck with the hump cabin and go with the aft cabin. The balcony is awesome and it's worth the extra walking. All depends on what you prefer to have.

Bonnie Voyager:

Thanks so much for the link to the aft cabin pictures. Will keep that in mind for a future cruise!

bgmtrans:

I can't believe that RCI couldn't help you out since they should have the measurements of the cabins/balconies. Go figure.

Most of the telephone-answerers at RC have never been on a ship. They have only "general" information about the cabins, i.e., AVERAGE square footage. They rarely know about "special cabins" or individual differences, like 7688/7388 or 1688/1388 on the Voyager class ships, or 9078/9072 or 1056/1558 on the Jewel or Serenade.....

So I'm not surprised at all.

Fortunately for you, and bgmtrans, you found Cruise Critic, and US! ;)

Most of the telephone-answerers at RC have never been on a ship. They have only "general" information about the cabins, i.e., AVERAGE square footage. They rarely know about "special cabins" or individual differences, like 7688/7388 or 1688/1388 on the Voyager class ships, or 9078/9072 or 1056/1558 on the Jewel or Serenade.....

I agree on all counts, Carol! When are we sailing together, anyway?:D

We love the aft cabins. Maybe it's because we normally walk our dogs a mile or so every day, but we just don't find the walk to be all that big a deal. I'm a balcony-sitter, so I love the extra space & lounge chairs. DH isn't, but he likes to pop out & say hello and have a cup of coffee or evening libation, and the wake view is awesome.

We've only been on Radiance & Vision class ships, not Voyager, that have aft cabins (stern if you must be technically correct, BTW). We haven't had a problem with soot on Vision-class, and Radiance-class ships don't generate any. I understand it's pretty bad on Empress.

I actually have an aft JS on the Freedom on 6/18-I can't wait until the people on the 6/4 sailing get back-I will be drilling them for photos and info on the afts on the FOS-

I'm sure it will be great...what could be bad??

I had an aft on Voyage and loved it-no soot or motion problems!!

I never hear anything about those and just wondered if there is anything particular about that location. We have 8010 on the Radiance for October. We needed that cabin to be close to our kids, who will be in a Family Oceanview all the way forward. On the deck plan, it looked like 8006 and 8008 were smaller balconies, we we opted for 8010.

I know it's a LONG way to the buffet (but a short walk up to the gym and solarium, so that part is good). Just wondered if anyone had particular wisdom on being so far forward. Essentially, we have a balcony, so it should be all good!

Thanks - Laura

I agree 100% - I am VERY lucky to have found you guys!!

I have decided to go with 7388 balcony aft ..From all the posts it appears that I was lucky to get this cabin - so we will GO FOR IT!!

I will just bring lots of ginger and bonine just in case !

Thank you to everyone who posted advice or information ..You guys areGREAT!!!

Archived