Decisions, decisions, Celebrity vs Carnival

davis0056

I never thought I'd ask this question but... We've sailed to Alaska twice and are planning our 3rd trip back --but with 3 couples that are first timers to Alaska. We've sail Celebrity 7 times, never on Carnival. Celebrity does Hubbard.:( We've seen College fijords and Glacier Bay and hear that Hubbard Glacier is no comparison. Should we give up our beloved Celebrity to go on Carnival? I foresee seeing a Celebrity ship in port and regretting our decision. DH says stick with Celebrity no matter what (we love the aft cabins). I say, don't worry about the ship, go for the itinerary; but I'm having trouble choosing Carnival over Celebrity ( a horrible thought)! We realize that we'll recieve a variety of answers, but .....

Dave and Elaine

Stick with Celebrity then. If it gives you all you enjoy on a cruise, they why change? I feel the same way about Carnival, but some day I do want to try either Princess or Celebrity! The only other thing I can say is if the Carnival cruise give you options in terms of ports that Celebrity doesn't, then go based on that.

You're really not comparing apple to apples. Carnival is an entry-level cruise line that appeals to a lower common denominator in the marketplace. Celebrity is a much more upscale experience and their prices reflect that. The food, the amenities, and intangibles of their passengers should be far different.

The scenery doesn't change. If the on-board experience is of little concern to you, then by all means save money and go Carnival. If however the entire cruise experience has value, I personally would never step aboard a Carnival ship.

When you look at Carnival Corporately, their subsidiaries include Cunard, Princess, and Carnival. Carnival has their own niche and doesn't really compete with the others.

You knew you were in for a lot of varied responces....here goes:

First of all I love Celebrity. I sailed last year to Alaska and after a lot of consideration, booked our trip to Alaska again this year on the Summit. With that said:

The Spirit will not be a typical Carnival cruise. In Alaska you will find an older demographic and the Spirit is a nice ship. Guess what I'm trying to say is that it won't be a 'party' ship like a 3 or 3 nighter to the Bahamas. The itinerary is excellent, and deciding to go on one or another will have to be a personal decision.

Oh yes, about Hubbard Glacier. If you do opt for Celebrity, Hubbard Glacier will be amazing to your friends AND, based on personal experience: One trip to Alaska will lead to another! You didn't mention what Celebrity ship you are considering: If you choose the Summit, you will LOVE Icy Strait. '

Like others often mention: Every trip to Alaska is a compromise!

Are you thinking of THIS summer or 2007? I don't think Carnival sails to Glacier Bay - only College Fjord - so maybe Celebrity will win!

I DO like the Spirit's port schedule for 2007...but just can't quite get past the fact that it's "Carnival"! I like some of HAL's one-way schedules, and I'm anxiously awaiting RCI/Celebrity's schedules for 2007 in about 3 weeks.

My one and only issue with the Carnival Spirit and our Alaska southbound Whittier/Vancouver cruise of June 6th, 2005... It was just tacky of Carnival to not inform passengers upon boarding that we were setting sail on a ship which had incurred iceberg damage the previous sailing, and good portion of our itinerary would be changed.

We were not told of this damage until the next morning when we were to 'sail scenic College Fjord'. By then, the Spirit was a ship full of puzzled passengers milling around wondering WHY the itinerary channel showed us in the Gulf of Alaska... and WHERE are the College Fjord GLACIERS? How'd we miss them??? We were up early-thirty... just like Capers advised us to be...

That damage only allowed the ship to travel 1/2 speed from Whittier (straight) to Juneau, required the ship to skip College Fjord sailing and Sitka altogether. Ketchikan port time was also significantly shortened due to damage which mechanics in Juneau were unable to repair.

We chose the sailing not for ship, but for the itinerary.

My point... damage happens - class defines how it's handled.

I will consider sailing Carnival Spirit again... only at a bargain price.

I have never sailed to Alaska. We are going May 22-29 on the Island Princess. We got a great price, I liked the itinerary and we had never sailed on Princess. We heard that Princess did a great job in Alaska. We have sailed on every major line, except Princess and HAL. We by far prefer Celebrity and have sailed with them repeatedly. I agree that in Alaska you will have an older demographic, but one of the things I really dislike about Carnival is their pushiness in trying to make a dollar. On our cruise, they set up tables selling wares in front of the Theatre entrances and the announcements about the Cruise video, etc seemed unending. I am afraid that pushiness will still be there to some degree. Celebrity has the least unwanted announcements. It is a relaxing,upscale atmosphere. Stick with Celebrity or maybe consider Princess ( although I cannot vouch for them), but I would not ever sail Carnival again unless someone else was paying.

...one of the things I really dislike about Carnival is their pushiness in trying to make a dollar...

Sadly, over the years all the cruise lines have gotten very aggressive in selling "extras". I recall not that many years ago we were in St. Petersburg. I think it was on Celebrity. They warned everyone going ashore to avoid drinking tap water. Then, at the gangway (everyone does this now), they were selling bottled water at an exorbitant price.

What started as a nice customer advisory turned into a commercial opportunity.

I never fill out comment cards, and this is after having taken 24 cruises in about as many years. In all that time, I have never seen a single 'improvement' for the passengers that was not revenue-driven. I have no problem with this...business is business. But doing it under the mantra of customer service is very hypocritical in my opinion.

If it's the Hubbard Glacier you're interested in, Holland America goes there on their Seattle based round trips.

One of the discussions on the HAL board is how Celebrity and HAL compare to each other. It sounds like Celebrity is still the highest end of the big name cruises, but HAL is only a half step behind. Well in front of Carnival & RCCL, and even Princess (according to the posters).

It sounded good enough for us to give HAL a try this summer to Alaska.

If it's the Hubbard Glacier you're interested in...

This is a panorama of the Hubbard Glacier I took 2 years ago. The picture is best viewed in 'original size' and use the scroll bar on the bottom of the browser to pan left or right.

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/32635643

For a whole bunch of pictures, including many panoramas taken in Alaska, see:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/serenade_alaska

I agree that all the cruiselines try to make a buck, Carnival was much pushier and more aggressively trying to sell anything and everything. It is easier to ignore it on Celebrity. I never feel harassed on Celebrity, I just avoid the auctions, port talks etc. It is by far my favorite cruise line. I have never tried any of the truly premium lines.

I do take issue with the "Carnival appeals to a lower denominator" comment... we've cruised on all the major cruise lines at least 5 times (many many more on Princess and RCI) and I think you find a very varied group on all of them "for the most part." In the Caribbean there does tend to be more a party crowd than other destinations... Alaska is for the itinerary and the time in port more than the ship IMHO. If the Spirit moves you where you want to go I don't think you will be "that" disappointed.. I personally think that Celebrity and RCI could if there were room for the ships in ports (which there are not) improve on their itins some and I prefer Princess and HAL to all others in Alaska but would not hesitate to jump ship for a better itinerary. As for the onboard "push" to sell stuff, ignore it.

sorry, off topic... but i wanted to say those are great pics in your photo gallery. :)

This is a panorama of the Hubbard Glacier I took 2 years ago. The picture is best viewed in 'original size' and use the scroll bar on the bottom of the browser to pan left or right.

I do take issue with the "Carnival appeals to a lower denominator" comment... we've cruised on all the major cruise lines at least 5 times (many many more on Princess and RCI) and I think you find a very varied group on all of them "for the most part." In the Caribbean there does tend to be more a party crowd than other destinations... Alaska is for the itinerary and the time in port more than the ship IMHO. If the Spirit moves you where you want to go I don't think you will be "that" disappointed.. I personally think that Celebrity and RCI could if there were room for the ships in ports (which there are not) improve on their itins some and I prefer Princess and HAL to all others in Alaska but would not hesitate to jump ship for a better itinerary. As for the onboard "push" to sell stuff, ignore it.
Thank you, Caroline!!! You said essentially what I was thinking.....! I just didn't want to start a "war" over one comment.

Dave and Elaine, there's never a question when it comes to choosing between RCI and Carnival - RCI will win hands down every time. Introduce your friends to the best, nobody will regret that choice!

Have a great time and enjoy Alaska.

Dave and I want to thank everyone for their thoughts. We got to thinking about our first trip to Alaska and any glacier would have taken our breath away, even more so becuase it was Glacier Bay. Our second trip took us to College Fjords. I guess now we'lll be seeing Hubbard Glacier on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean and we'll be seeing it thru the eyes of 3 other couples (family) who are making their first Alaksan cruise with us in '07. We've really been spoiled by Celebrity and Royal Caribbean has been good too. We've done Princess to Alaska and found it only 'okay.' To each their own.

Paulmj: Thanks for the great pictures!! The colors are fabulous and the panarama pictures sure gave us a great perspective.

Dave and Elaine

Thanks for sharing your photos - they are simply awesome (1st time Alaska cruiser this summer!!!)

Archived