Skagway help needed!!

rockmich

Hi-

We are trying to plan excursions in Skagway and I have a couple of questions. We are interested in one of the Yukon combination tours that combine a White Pass Railroad trip and a van ride into the Yukon and then a husky camp visit. From my research, it looks like Chilkoot is the only tour operator that offers this trip. Does anyone out there know of any other tour operators that would offer this trip? With Chilkoot, just nervous about the 10% cancellation fee. :mad:

I don't know if this is of interest to you but....we decided not to do the White Pass train because we have our 11 year old grandson with us and we thought that the length of time he'd be on the train would bore him soo we contacting www.alaskatours.com and booked a tour that is labeled Yukon Discovery Tour (tour 7) which goes into the Yukon Territory and runs parallel the original White Pass Trail. it includes sled dog camp, lunch, gold panning and of course stopping along the way to various sights. It goes up to Emerald Lake. It's a 6 hour tour. After we're making arrangements to go to the Liarsville Salmon bake. This is just a thought for you. :cool:

I can't emagine why anyone would be concerned a kid would think a train ride, especially one of the most spectacular on earth, would be boring. When I was on it, there were kids who had never been on a train. Then again, maybe today's kids need a tv screen and joystick in their hands to get excited. I would consider the best trip to be the train up with an extended tour from there.

That's why we are interested in this excursion- it seems to have the best of all worlds. It combines a WPR train ride with a trip to Emerald Lake and a visit at a dog mushing camp for a cart ride. Thanks for all the info!!:)

• 1 year later...
Consider renting a car in Skagway and you can drive the Yukon root and stop at a husky camp and anywhere else you wish on the way to Emerald Lake. It is a lovely drive. See the website: www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

This is what we will be doing. It is not my kids but me that does not want to sit on a train that long. :eek: Train does look nice though.

That's why we are interested in this excursion- it seems to have the best of all worlds. It combines a WPR train ride with a trip to Emerald Lake and a visit at a dog mushing camp for a cart ride. Thanks for all the info!!:)

I believe the cart ride is an additional cost.

my parents did the that trip last year, and of the three cruises to alaska, and numerous excursions they say that that excursion is on top of their list as a favorite.

Which tour: the one with Chillkoot Tours (Charters) or the one with Alaska Tours? I'm looking at tours with both. We will be there again in September.

We did the White Pass railroad ride and it was spectacular!! The kids on our train had a wonderful time. Even in the rain, several of us were on the platform between the cars taking pictures and just looking at the fantastic scenery.

When we returned, we ate at the red Onion saloon...great food and a fun atmosphere! Then, we just strolled around the few blocks that make up the town. All of the town is an easy walk from the docks.

If I get a rental car to go to Emerald Lake how long of a drive is it from where you get the rental car near the port to Emerald Lake? I will be doing a pre land tour before cruise and I just don't want to be driving alot at the ports too.

Thanks, CJ :) :)

Au Contraire, There are some others here in Skagway who do this trip but we do not insist on any prebooking or any cancelation fee because we think that the only fair way to go is to let you all get here and have a look at the weather conditions (ie. FOG), and then decide if this trip is worth the money!?! DD

PS. It might also be a little less expensive that way, as well!;)

We did a bus tour to Carcross, Gold panning and a BBq lunch, with the train back. It was spectacular. Our the 8 year old son loved all of it, especially the train ride. Some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen!

We were told that if there is a A>O>G> Wind blowing so hard that the ship cann't dock or the ship is late, has engine trouble, that the 10% is not charged, it's only there to pay for the paper work if you change your mind, sounds fair to me?

Stacym

Hi-

We are trying to plan excursions in Skagway and I have a couple of questions. We are interested in one of the Yukon combination tours that combine a White Pass Railroad trip and a van ride into the Yukon and then a husky camp visit. From my research, it looks like Chilkoot is the only tour operator that offers this trip. Does anyone out there know of any other tour operators that would offer this trip? With Chilkoot, just nervous about the 10% cancellation fee. :mad:

We are going with Chilkoot on 6/6. There are 8 of us who wanted the WPYR train trip to Fraser and then bus to Carcross and back, but when I booked about 2 weeks ago there were only 4 seats left for that tour. Therefore, 4 of us are taking that one and the other 4 opted for the longer trip with bus to Carcross and train from there back to Skagway (it's a Wednesday so it's bus up and train back). My suggestion is that if you want to book for this summer do it soon to get the tour you want. We went with Chilkoot because it is less expensive than through the ship and their busses only take from 13 to 23 passengers so we know we won't end up on a 60-passenger bus. Also, the ship's tours don't stop at Emerald Lake and from everything I've been reading on the CC board that is a "not to miss" stop.

• 2 months later...
We are going with Chilkoot on 6/6. There are 8 of us who wanted the WPYR train trip to Fraser and then bus to Carcross and back, but when I booked about 2 weeks ago there were only 4 seats left for that tour. Therefore, 4 of us are taking that one and the other 4 opted for the longer trip with bus to Carcross and train from there back to Skagway (it's a Wednesday so it's bus up and train back). My suggestion is that if you want to book for this summer do it soon to get the tour you want. We went with Chilkoot because it is less expensive than through the ship and their busses only take from 13 to 23 passengers so we know we won't end up on a 60-passenger bus. Also, the ship's tours don't stop at Emerald Lake and from everything I've been reading on the CC board that is a "not to miss" stop.

40yearcruiser: how was this tour? We are trying to decide what to do in Skagway. It's either this or the Chilkoot Hike & Float. Any info from you or others is appreciated!

We did a tour in May with Chilkoot Charters. It was the train to Fraser and then bus to Carcross & Emerald Lake. It was awesome!!! This is the one tour I will definitely repeat on a future trip, and I will definitely book with Chilkoot again.

Hello! I just got back from my Alaskan cruise and you have to do the Yukon and Train ride combination. Most tours include the husky camp at caribou crossing which is included in the yukon expedition tour. It is the best tour we did in our entire cruise and trust me the train ride is not boring at all.

For the yukon expedition, we managed to see what most people who drive saw, including emerald lake which is not usually included as part of the tours. The only thing bad is that you don't have the luxury of time to spend at each stop you make. We saw a total of 2 black bears in this trip.

The train was probably the highlight of the excursion and as i mentioned earlier, it was not boring at all. The scenery was priceless and we saw another black bear on board the train! It was priceless and i would have paid double the price of the train ticket for that!

I sincerely hope you had as much fun as i did on your excursion!

Archived