Now I Would Like Some AIRFARE expertise.....PLEASE

Lois R

Hi, :) I posted this over on the "Air board" but I know many of

you fly more than I do so here is my scenerio....and I know my

cruise is a long way off (OCT).

I had found an excellent price on Delta:eek: :confused:...Jax to Seattle and then

San Diego back to Jax...including taxes 312.00 total r/t. I booked this on my own..

NOT through Celebrity.

Now, I know Oct is 6 months away but just wondered what happens

IF Delta is not flying??? I charged the flights to my AE and also

had my TA add insurance onto the cruise and flight.

Can any of you expert flyers tell me if I should be worried at this

point?

Thanks for any advice...I do appreciate it.

I think there is an airline rule in place - they will help you get a trip on another airline - honoring the tickets you have.

Just have your alternate information for the flights ready just in case.

Also you can ask your TA what flights Celebrity air is offering for that trip.

So you know in advance who they are using.

Hi, I called Delta and that is what I was told...that other

airlines come into play and help.

FOOEY:eek: I should have waited till SW had their schedules out.

FOOEY...FOOEY:confused:

Oh, they are non-refunable but does that happen when the airlines

don't fly?:rolleyes:

I used to work for Delta... Started with dragging bags around to ticketing to PSA or the guy with the red coat that hands out drink coupons to solve all the problems.

Most airlines will make accomodations to fill their seats via rule 220. In other words during a strike, disaster or bad weather the airlines do have some unusual partnerships with eachother even if they are competing.

There were many situations where we took United or American tickets and moved their passengers, as well as they did the same for Delta. The only exceptions were for small independant lines like Value Jet.

Basically what happens is the accepting airline redeems the other airlines coupons for 80% of the fare. The originating airline recieves the other 20%. Things may have changed over the years but I do think there is a reciperacle agreement ongoing.

Hope that helps.

Dave:eek:

Hi Dave, thanks...I will just sit tight then and hope things work

out. I suppose we will know more in the middle of the summer

or early fall....I fly out on Oct 11th. I am hoping during the summer...July~Aug

I would have time to change if need be.

Thanks for the quick replies:)

Lois - at least you have until next October to find out if Delta's going belly-up! We're using FF miles to go business class on Delta in June for our Med cuise on the Millie - flying from Knoxville to Venice and then Barcelona to Knoxville. Now that's REALLY scary :p

KS

Mileage tickets are the exception in most cases. No revenue on ticket, no seat on airplane. I do wish you the best. Insider info is that many of my friends who are still with Delta have been telling people to use their miles ASAP.

The only hope you might have is a merger or buyout where the incoming airline will honor the mileage program.

I like the SW program myself. Once I get that freebie, I use it. Unlike the America West US air merger where I have miles all over the place and they are supposed to merge together in to one account. Hope they stay in business...I'm planning that Mediteranean cruise for 08' and was hoping to cash in my miles for two first class round trip to Rome.....:confused:

Dave:eek:

Lois - I've been worried about Delta as well. My concern is my cruise is the 28th of this month & the Delta pilots voted to strike yesterday. I'm not sure about the other airlines will step in if this happens. It's not for sure, but it's definitely a possibility. I live in the Atlanta area and Delta has, by far, the best schedules for me. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.

Terri

When I booked flights for my two TAs, I used Delta Sky miles, and requested that ALL my flights be on other carriers. The reservationists were totally sympathetic. So if you book an international flight and are using frequent flyer miles, just try and get one of the partner airlines. I don't believe they will allow you to use FF miles for domestic flights unless they do not serve the market you are trying to fly to or out of.

Cheers~

Nicki

Lois

You are still 6mos out - I wouldn't fret too much at this point.

Delta's strike appears to be a union ploy, and they are under bankruptcy protection at the moment.

With SouthWest - you do have to schlepp your own bags, which can be a pain.

I wouldn't start worrying until about 3 months out.

Lois...I wish you the best of luck for October. I'm using a Delta reward round trip with the 1st leg bringing us back from the Galaxy TA in May from Rome with a 2 night stay in Budapest through JFK into Boston & the 2nd leg getting us back to Gatwick for the Sept. TA aboard the Constellation!! I'll keep you posted!! Joanne:eek:

Hi folks, thanks for all the replies:) I really do appreciate it.

Terri, I hope your Mercury cruise turns out wonderful and very

healthy too!

I have been on your itinerary and it is wonderful:)

Also, I hope you are feeling well.

I guess I won't worry right now about my flights.

As most of you have said, I have 6 months and will see what

happens over the summer.

Hi Michael, hope you and Virginia are well.

Thanks again everyone.

Lois, hope things work out for you.

In the mean time I have a strange request for you on your upcoming Zenith cruise. Would it be possible to take a picture of the aft Bahama and Atlantic decks. I'm interested in finding out if they are laid out like the Horizon was. The deck plans in the book make them to appear that way. If you can and post them with your usual cruise pictures, I would appreciate it very much. If not I would understand.

Thanks, KK

KK, no problem:) I will write that one down though;) I probably

won't remember otherwise!

Bahama and Atantic Decks......aft pictures. You got it:D

1. In reply to one responder above, when is a strike NOT a "union ploy?"

2. If there is a strike or an airline is not flying, that reduces the number of planes available, thus reducing the number of tickets that can be honored regardless of "rules." Getting your money back doesn't get you where you want to go.

3. I just looked into travel insurance for a fall sailing and for both Northwest and Delta, the insurance company stated specifically that they would not cover explenses related to default.

Northwest is our "hometown" airline so we are getting alot of advice lately about striking personnel and how it affects the traveler. If you're in a market like ours that is virtually monopolized by one airline it is always on your mind.

Well Lois I have airline tickets with Delta for January 2007 for our Summit cruise and would like to book a flight to BAltimore in September as well. I just called the airline and asked what would happen in the case that they would not be flying anymore and he said that they would put us on other flights. I added that we were going on a cruise and the ship wouldn't wait for us. He said they would definitely make sure that we arrived in time to cruise. He said to go ahead and book for September too as the prices would only increase nearer the time. He said that the chance of them not still flying is very very small. We did not discuss the impending strike. Hmmm what to do.

i thought the union voted to strike today, what am I missing? As for 6 months down the road: I too would be worried. My DD and SIL have over a million miles and haven't used any: what are they thinking? Anyway, our DD works for an airline (not Delta) she says other airlines will try to pick up the slack, but nothing is written in stone. Good luck, we will all keep our fingers crossed. I can remember not to long ago when we thought United would go under: the same with Continental: both are still in the skies. NMNita

I was tempted to book Delta flights for later this year, but when I reviewed my travel insurance Delta was listed in the group of suppliers that the insurance underwriters are not covering for bankruptcy/default coverage.

I also remember reading something about an exclusion against covering a loss from an airline strike if there is public knowledge of a possible strike (as Delta's pilots' union has announced) prior to purchasing the insurance.

I guess you need to weigh the risk against the cost savings.

Jean, the woman I spoke with told me basically the same thing...

that other airlines would "probably" step up and help.

But what else could she say? They (Customer service) don't

know what will be going on in 6 months and I think they

are reading from a "pre-printed form". I even spoke with

a supervisor and she couldn't tell me anything more.

I mean, the responsibility is ultimately MINE...I chose to book early

and with Delta:rolleyes:.

They of course want our business so she is saying

as far as they know things will be going as normal.

Not sure what will happen and at this point I will just have

to wait and see.:eek:

Hi, :) I posted this over on the "Air board" but I know many of

you fly more than I do so here is my scenerio....and I know my

cruise is a long way off (OCT).

I had found an excellent price on Delta:eek: :confused:...Jax to Seattle and then

San Diego back to Jax...including taxes 312.00 total r/t. I booked this on my own..

NOT through Celebrity.

Now, I know Oct is 6 months away but just wondered what happens

IF Delta is not flying??? I charged the flights to my AE and also

had my TA add insurance onto the cruise and flight.

Can any of you expert flyers tell me if I should be worried at this

point?

Thanks for any advice...I do appreciate it.

Lois

We are booked on the Celebrity Mercury 11 Night January 29, 2007 Mexican Riviera

We booked FF Miles from Dayton to San Diego on Saturday 27th and Return Feb. 10th 2007

After reading all these post I Called American Express and the said They dought if Delta will go Belly Up

She also said that American Express will do what ever necessary to take care of there customers

If you paid with a charge card and delta goes out you are protected

Also have a Happy Passover or Easter

Stur Dayton,Ohio

I just bght tickets through AOL Travel to the interior of Mexico for a Delta trip in June. One of the segiments is on Aeromexico a member of the Star Alliance. IF Delta would be on Strike or in liquidation, would Aeromexico honor my Delta tickets automatically? I have etickets.

Hi Stu,:) thanks for the Passover wishes!

I am going to call American Express too...thanks for that advice.

There is a long thread over on the "Air" forum and one of the nice

folks also said to get paper tickets (even if you have an E ticket).

That the paper one is more valuable in terms of everything.

I have my e-ticket confirmation here and it definitely says my

tickets were non-refundable:(

Hindsight is 20/20...Of course now I wish I had waited for SW

to come out with their schedule.:eek: :rolleyes:

Archived