Venting on length of jeans

zcat

I am petite 4'9". I wear a small petite size jean. Bought 2 pair one blue& one white for the summer. Yes I wear jeans all summer. I know that they are making the petite jeans longer than they did years ago - BUT I had 4" heels on and the jeans are 3 to 4 inches too long. It annoys me that I buy designer jeans and still have to shorten them. It does matter to the boot cut style, believe me on that. I was at a show and asked the rep., for the designer why the pants, skirts and jeans are so long - reply," because the petites are taller now". I hate to go to the childrens area I don't like and won't buy bubble gum pink. Jr's are waaaaay too long. Just venting thanks for listening.

I am petite 4'9". I wear a small petite size jean. Bought 2 pair one blue& one white for the summer. Yes I wear jeans all summer. I know that they are making the petite jeans longer than they did years ago - BUT I had 4" heels on and the jeans are 3 to 4 inches too long. It annoys me that I buy designer jeans and still have to shorten them. It does matter to the boot cut style, believe me on that. I was at a show and asked the rep., for the designer why the pants, skirts and jeans are so long - reply," because the petites are taller now". I hate to go to the childrens area I don't like and won't buy bubble gum pink. Jr's are waaaaay too long. Just venting thanks for listening.

My poor Meg has the same problem. she is 5'1" and wears a double zero-WHEN she can find that size. Whenever she does she always has to have like 8 inches cut off.

Meg weighs 85 pounds and is WAY too thin-she tries very hard to gain weight- it seems every time she puts on a few pounds and starts looking good she gets the flu or something and loses the weight again -so imagine how thin a 5' 9" girl would have to be to wear a double zero. She would not be annorexic. She would be dead.

Now that's not a bad problem .....I'd love to have long legs!

You would love long legs, but buying pants is a pain. They are NEVER long enough and talls are too long for me. I think pants should come without a hem at all. Then we could fit them exactly to the right length - short or long.

I have the same long leg problem, every pair of jeans i try on are to short, and the designers think everyone was a 20" waist. I can't stand when the touch my waist so i try to find pants the are just below, Gap is one of the only brand i can find that carries short, average, long & Xlong with the waist being just a bit shorter. Also the jeans are going to the stretch material and that just does not flatter me at all.

I have the same long leg problem, every pair of jeans i try on are to short, and the designers think everyone was a 20" waist. I can't stand when the touch my waist so i try to find pants the are just below, Gap is one of the only brand i can find that carries short, average, long & Xlong with the waist being just a bit shorter. Also the jeans are going to the stretch material and that just does not flatter me at all.

CD where are you finding the 20 inch waist jeans? Poor Meg is 22 inches in the waist-and often she finds things way to big on her-that is why she has to buy double zeros-even those are a little big in the waist on her but at least they are not falling off-all the junior stuff is "hip huggers" now which is Meg's problem-even a size 1-will be a butt hugger on her-instead of a hip hugger-I keepteasing her ands telling her she can start a new fad-you know a "home girl" instead of a "home boy"! when she finds a pair of pants with a natural waist height she can actually wear a little bigger size-the problem is you can't find them anymore in the smaller sizes-even in the misses sizes-no size 2's with the higher waist.

I have found when you get into the bigger sizes-there is a drop waist size jeans and slacks-not as high as the natural waist but higher then the hip huggers. My waist is big compared to my hips-so I found that style works best for me and looks best on me.

The Jr's department has all lower waisted jeans now days, you would have to go to the womens department to get the higher waist, but the problem with that is they normally do not have the very small sizes.

I have found that Macy's has higher waist and very small sizes.

More and more catalogs are showing pants with a higher waist (some only offer the variety online or in their catalog--might not be able to find in the store if it's a company that has stores) and some (like Lands End) will hem to any length you want for many styles.

My sister and I were at Gap just a few weeks ago and I am a size 2 and she's a size 16 and same height, well we had the exact same pair of spring colored pants and mine fit perfect in length, great to wear with thong flip flops and hers were like 5 inches longer...stepping all over them. EVERY pair she tried on in there was like that...and we were like "do they think heavier people are taller or something??" It was very bizzare!

The last pair of jeans I bought was the first pair of jeans I bought in about 20 years that are actually long.

To all of you who have to hem, I'm sorry you have that issue but for the rest of us there is nothing than can be done to lengthen the jeans. Be happy you at least have options.

I think manufacturers should make jeans by waist and inseam. You could still specify what rise they were and just measure where you wanted them to fit, but it'd make it so much easier to find jeans in the right length.

I'm 5'3" tall and a size 6/8, jeans in the past few years always seem too long for me, but just barely so not worth the cost of hemming (I can hem dress pants but don't want to attempt jeans!).

I am petite 4'9". I wear a small petite size jean
I'm just a hair under 5', and I understand perfectly! Most stores have oodles of stuff for the "average" folks, and maybe six pairs of pants for us in the petite section. And it's not just leg length -- most regular size pants are ridiculously long in the crotch for me. It's uncomfortable and unflattering.

You would love long legs, but buying pants is a pain. They are NEVER long enough and talls are too long for me. I think pants should come without a hem at all. Then we could fit them exactly to the right length - short or long.

Men's dress pants are sold without hems. Guys just have their tailors hem them.

Barb

Sorry, you get no sympathy from me....I need at least a 36" inseam and it is rare to be able to find them that long. I cannot buy off the rack. You just cannot "ADD" fabric on the bottom to lengthen pants or jeans, not without looking foolish ;) but I have to special order, OR catalogue order, in either case there is no trying on....YIKES! I have luckily found a few great catalogues that run true to size and have "talls" with 36" inseams. "God Bless Victoria's Secret" !!!

Mrsfuzzmo

Yes it is just not petite, average is no longer average. And to add to the vent list, try finding a pair of jeans that actually butons at the waist... They all are now falling on the hips and I hate them!

My mother has the same taste in jeans. She has found many pairs at http://www.eddiebauer.com she likes. Sorry I can help much with the lenght issue. I am 5'4" and i wear Bongo size 3's. They are about 1-2 inches to long but I always wear heels, so it works out perfectlly.

Try being 5"4 but in plus sizes. Plus sizes are usually 2 inches longer than regular pants anyways. I'm just lucky that my mother is great with a sewing machine and is still willing to cut inches off my pants for me. I have one pair of jeans that I bought a few months ago that are average length. We cut about 6 inches off the jeans, and I still can only wear them with heels.

Now that's not a bad problem .....I'd love to have long legs!

My BF is 6'3 1/2 - trust me - loooooong legs can be a pain when buying pants! (and for dancing - I'm 5'2 1/2 if I stand up straight - even when I wear 3 inch heels we look funny on the dance floor!)

as for selling by waist/inseam - some do - just my size jeans (for us "fluffy" folks) do list the inseam and waist -- my problem is that I need a 28" inseam and have a hard time finding it!

Archived