now THIS is funny.........or is it?

Timeline:

June 2, 2005 - Carol books graduation cruise for son on the Explorer, 6/30/06, doing the western Caribbean itinerary. Manages to snag the amazing 1688. 9 days, out of Bayonne, short drive up the Jersey Turnpike.

July 21, 2005 - Carol is checking RC website (as usual), and sees that they have changed the western to an eastern! Carol is very very upset (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=208203), since family has done eastern TWICE, BOTH times on the Explorer!!!!! Receives appropriate consolation and humorous suggestions from fellow CC'ers.

Fast forward to............

April 6, 2006 - receives phone call from Royal Caribbean customer service, informing us that the cruise itinerary has been changed from western to eastern, but we can cancel without penalty until the end of April!!!

Now, how funny is this???????????

Carol, after reading the recently resurrected thread about your cruise that wasn't and now this - you seem to have a knack for not having a smooth cruise experience.

I'm going to be afraid to read your posts late at night - I think your cruise stories could give me nightmares!;)

Please give us all advance warning at what cruises you're considering in the future - I think, based on your track record - that I'd best avoid that one.:D :D

So, are you doing the Eastern again? Enquiring minds want to know.

Sue

Yes, the joke that is Royal Caribbean's Customer Service is that it's a year after they changed it and a year after I found out!

The sicko part is that my kids don't want to cruise this summer! I haven't cancelled the cruise yet, though. Anyone want to be my cabinmates???

Wow, and I thought it was bad when princess took almost 2 weeks to tell us our cruise was cancelled for April 23rd and it would take 4 - 6 weeks to refund our money so we could purchase another cruise. Luckily we found a cruise on Royal Caribbean even though it leaves a day earleir.

I noticed in your post that you were overjoyed at getting cabin # 1688. What is so special about this cabin?

You can't cancel the trip. One of the best things about the board is reading your live trip reports.

David

She-who-must-be -obeyed said I can't go with you in place of your mia children.:D

Well here's a question...

What was the price of your cabin when you booked it, compared to what the cabin would cost if you booked it fresh today?

If the price is substantially higher now, and the ship has any sort of a waiting list (especially for the coveted 1688) it makes perfect sense that they would gladly give you a full refund, then turn around and rebook it at the higher price.

In fact, if the cabin is more expensive now, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually waited until that was the case, so they would know they weren't going to lose any money on the offer they are making you.

If it's lower today then when you booked it, then I have no idea. :)

Theron

Carol,

I told Dave I am going with you...... LOL He looked at me like "You're not...are you?"....... ;)

So did you book a quad or a triple? That would be one awesome cruise. Even if it is Eastern. Are you diamond yet? If not, I could get ya in the lounge.....;)

Bobbie

Theron: The stuff about giving me until the end of April to decide, and still be able to get a full refund, is BS. That's just the regular final payment date!!!!!!!!!!!! The price HAS gone up, but regardless of the itinerary, final payment isn't due until 60 days before 6/30, which according to MY calendar is actually May 1. This is not some big favor or gracious accommodation on RC's part.

David: 1. Tell your DW that I am really quite harmless. :D 1688 on a Voyager class ship is a corner aft cabin. In this particular cabin, the balcony is ENORMOUS and the cabin is a category D1, but is closer in size to a JS.

Bobbie: It can accommodate 4 - we have it booked for three. (Mom and 18/DS and 20/DD. I'm Diamond, of course (:D), so already have CL privileges even though booked in a D!!!

You know my hand is TOTALLY raised right? I think you and I could tear up the joint. Carol and Nancy own the ship! LOL!

Except that after what you have gone through with this thing I would almost be afraid of the ship hitting an iceburg!

The price HAS gone up, but regardless of the itinerary, final payment isn't due until 60 days before 6/30, which according to MY calendar is actually May 1.

Is final payment due 60 days before sailing one of the perks for a diamond class C&A member? I hadn't heard of that one. My final payments for 7-day and longer cruises have always been due 70 days before sail date. I thought it was only 60 days for less than 7-day sailings.

Yes, the joke that is Royal Caribbean's Customer Service is that it's a year after they changed it and a year after I found out!

The sicko part is that my kids don't want to cruise this summer! I haven't cancelled the cruise yet, though. Anyone want to be my cabinmates???

Why don't the kids want to cruise?

Just returned from a Carnival "spring break" cruise. It's funny that of my three children, the oldest (25) did not really want to go. She ended up having a better time than the other two and is now begging to go on another! :D

Hey Carol! That is too funny...sheesh. To the poster who said they'd avoid Carol's cruises, don't! I was, (coincidentially), on Sovereign with her this past January and I have to say it was the best cruise I've had! There was something in the air...great cruise. Wish I could tag along on this one, but hubby frowns on my going cruising without him. :cool:

kitty

We are on the 6/2 Explorer sailing which was also supposed to be Western Caribbean but was changed to Eastern (which, like the OP, I stumbled upon myself while looking at something on the RCCL web site a few months ago) -- all I can say is that at least the OP eventually got a phone call!! We booked direct with RCCL and our final payment date passed a few weeks ago -- we never heard anything from RCCL about the itinerary change.

Wonder how they decide who to call (we're diamod C&A)?? Or, if they have started the calls because more and more summer payments are coming due and people are getting upset because they were unaware of the change...I suspect there are possibly cruisers (unlike all of us!!) who book a trip and don't think about it again until final payment is due...or even those who give advance permission to make final payment on the same credit card as their deposit and may not even know about the change until they go to fill out boarding docs -- wouldn't that be an unfortunate surprise!!

Oh, well...we'll make the best of it. We're just looking forward to the extra 2 nights...and since we are traveling with family from PA the NJ port is easy for them...and there's always he Western itinerary on the Freedom at Thanksgiving for me to look forward to!!

Hey Steve, I thought that was Pat Travers????

Carol, tell your knucklehead kids they're going, and they WILL have fun!! Otherwise, leave them a LONG list of things you need done around the house while you're lounging on deck. Eastern, Western, it's all good. :D

Wonder how they decide who to call (we're diamod C&A)??

Here's a chance to confirm or deny my theory...

If you were to rebook your same cabin from scratch right now, would it cost more or less than what you have already paid for it? To be consistent with the theory I offered above, in your case, your cabin should be cheaper now (well, actually at the time just prior to final payment date, not exactly now) than what you paid for it originally. The theory being that they have no financial interest in giving you the excuse to cancel your booking since they would lose money. In the OP's case, her cabin was more expensive, so it was in their best interest for her to cancel and let someone else book it at the higher price.

Theron

Carol:

June 30th is my birthday, and I'm a DIAMOND member, so we could enjoy the concierge lounge, etc. I'm not sure if my DSLW would allow it, but I hope you'll consider ME as a replacement for your kids (I'm sure I'm considerably older than they are!)...

--Tom

Merion Mom...another Carol here across the pond. We've got the same problem with our kids. Dh and I.. had an amazing first cruise with RC last year. Our kids (twin girls) work..are very responsible and have lovely boyfriends.They have never had a special vacation..just a few days here and there. They turned 21 in Feb....and one daughter got engaged. DH and I decided to book the girls and boyfriend/Fiance' on a cruise with us.. to the med.. this summer. A once in a lifetime Family vacation...also our 25th anniversary!!

We thought they would have great fun in connecting cabins..ordering room service..dressing up for dinner..using the gym..and then there's the amazing ports! To our surprise!...and amazement!...they have given us one problem after another.. as to why they can't go. I know they are concerned for the cost to us.. but they also seem to think that the ship will be like the Titanic...and only "old wrinklies over 60" will be onboard.( I think they were referring to their

Dad!)...lol. I have just about convinced them.. that they will have a good time! I know they will be in absolute awe when they see the ship...but it is very difficult trying to enjoy the atmosphere..when there is dissent. hope your cruise turns out well....and Good luck with the Kids..regards, Carol

Archived