The REAL scoop?

xsnowman99

DH and I are thinking about booking a trip on SD...wondering if anyone can answer a few questions. We have been cruising on the WindStar line and love it. Is SD 'elegantly casual' for dinner..i.e. khaki's and golf shirts for men, pants, sundresses, etc for women? DH has 'issues' with dressing up on cruises (that would be coat and tie).

Also, food. I have read that is is wonderful...do they have several menu choices (I have very distinct food likes and dislikes with the dislikes taking a huge lead!)

Any other differences from WindStar and/or other information would be appreciated. I would assume the staff is as wonderful as WindStar with knowing your name, likes/dislikes within the first 24 hours. Do cabins feel spacious and/or have adequate space without feeling closed in? (we really only use cabin for sleeping and showers but like to not feel cramped) We are not much into 'ship recreation' so we are already used to just laying back and relaxing. We are age group 50-ish and late 60's.

Though we love WindStar, we are thinking about a change. Thanks in advance for your help.

Have not sailed Windstar, only anchored next to them in Virgin Gorda. As far as SeaDream, you sound like you would be a good fit. The cabins are very comfortable for our needs and well cared for. I am 6' 4" and the showers were no problem but then we lived on our boat for 7 years. The ships are not flashy but rather classic in feel. No ties ever! I do take a sport coat as it is easy to pack and sometimes in the evening shirtsleeves can be a bit cool. In the elegant dining salon, I just feel like wearing the sport coat. Many men do not and look just fine in nice polos, etc.

Food is great. Be sure to order a cheese tray while on the Bali beds or poolside. A real treat. At meals, if you dont see anything you like on the menu, ask for what you want. If possible, they will accomodate. No problems with the food at any time for us. We have made friends on each of our SD cruises that we stay in touch with. Im sure you will too. Have fun.

Jim.

We have not sailed on Windstar but we have sailed on SD twice.

SD is definitely "casual elegance" or "country club classic" if that helps. DH takes his trusty blue blazer but I think he has worn it once during 14 nights on SD. I take along my Chico's Travelers.

There are many choices at all meals ... and if you have specific likes and dislikes just let the hotel manager/maitre d' know and he will make sure that you are taken care of! Actually the waitstaff is great at making suggestion as well.

The cabins are wonderful ... plenty of room for having a cocktail and appetizers while dressing for dinner.

One of the biggest differences, as I understand it, is that you don't have to sign for your beverages ... as all drink (soft, hard, wine, mineral water) are included.

I can't say enough good things about the staff on SD ... from top to bottom the crew and officers, especially on our last SD 2 cruise, were the best. As a matter of fact we still correspond with the captain from our last cruise!

As Jim has said, we have made friend on SD with whom we keep in touch.

I have been on both - if you liked Windstar, you will think you have died and gone to heaven on SeaDream.

The food is very good. Last time I was on, I went with my brother in law and he is a very picky eater. The menu is large - considering there are usually 3-4 regular entrees, 2-3 spa entrees, 1 vegetarian entree and ala carte steak, chicken or hamburgers any meal. And if that doesn't suit you they will make you just about anything you want.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a lovely time on SD just some weeks ago. We have never been on Windstar, but a couple we met had been with them a few months ago. They had had the OS so they did not complaint about the space, but they said the cabins on Wind are small.

We did have the privilege of having Christophe around, and if you have never felt taken care of before, you will be spoilt for the rest of your life.

As I can also be a bit "picky" with food, I have of course some favourites that I try to squeeze in. Another thing that I often do is to have two starters instead of a heavy main dish. But what is the option when you have to choose between Dover Sole, Duck à l'Orange (and have already asked for the Lobster Termidor)???

The luncheon at the Topside is also great, and the boys working there are just too good for this world.

Now we are just hoping for the prices to drop a tiny little bit so that we can look into a cruise over Christmas (We do not need to have 315)

FT and I have traveled twice on SD, once with Jim and Lois. I have to agree with everything that he says above, along with everything that everyone else has posted. No doubt in my mind that you will love SD.

Archived