Motion Sickness OTC for a teen?

Kaki321

My 17 year niece is joining us on our cruise. My sister just reminded me that she used to get car sick on long car rides and it's possible she may not tolerate the motion well (and now I remember those days!)

She said I should pick up some dramamine, although she hasn't given her anything in years. Does that work well? Any other thoughts on what might help her Over the Counter?

Of course, we have AFT suites booked, and from what I understand it will be bumpy...true? :confused:

Ginger pills work wonders. All natural and don't make you drowsy.

Any drugstore or grocery store carries them.

The show mythbusters found that ginger was the best remedy for seasickness.

Good luck, and I hope that helps.

take care,

chris

The dramine will make the teen sleepy-- drowysy. How bout sea bands that you wear on the wrist using accuppressure points. You can get them inrite aid or walgreens..any of those places.

My 17 year niece is joining us on our cruise. My sister just reminded me that she used to get car sick on long car rides and it's possible she may not tolerate the motion well (and now I remember those days!)

Ginger is an option, but the claims of it being non-systemic are invalid. Ginger is absorbed in the GI tract, and some patients get gastric disturbances. (around 11%). Ginger in the elderly causes an increased clearance of other important meds, specifically cardiovascular.

Scopolimine patches work great, require a prescription, can cause drowsiness as well and increased thirst. Most kids don't drink enough water aboard, so watch that. Here are the listed side effects:

* drowsiness

* disorientation

* dry mouth

* blurred vision

* dilated pupils

* confusion

* hallucinations

* difficulty urinating

* rash

Meclizine works as well, and 50 mg tablets in bottles of 100 are kept behind the counter at most any pharmacy. No prescription is required, all you need to do is ask. Depending on the kids weight I'd give 1/2 a tablet each morning beginning the day of the cruise.

More info:

For oral dosage forms (tablets and chewable tablets):

* To prevent and treat motion sickness:

o Adults and children 12 years of age or older—The usual dose is 25 to 50 milligrams (mg) one hour before travel. The dose may be repeated every twenty-four hours as needed.

o Children up to 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

* To prevent and treat vertigo (dizziness):

o Adults and children 12 years of age or older—The usual dose is 25 to 100 mg a day as needed, divided into smaller doses.

o Children up to 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

Motion bands and pressure point devices are hit and miss, with some claiming relief almost immediately.

Whatever you do, if someone is sick no medicine will be effective, so take it at the first sign of feeling uneasy.

Just my opinion...

Our son used Bonine for the first day of all of our cruises and didn't need it after. He used to get really carsick but has never had a problem on ships. I also brought ginger capsules and the rest of us took it at least once on the last cruise. It seemed to help us.

thanks so much to everyone!

is dd bonine OTC or Rx? and is it just bonine or dd bonine?

any side effects?

dd = darling daughter. It's Bonine and it's available OTC. I got it at Walgreens and Walmart.

Hi

just wanted to let you know bonine is mecilizine, I have read on here that bonine is great for cruise so I got a box for my cruise that I leave on Sunday,,,,Just so you know if you go to Walgreens, they have it behind the counter, and its just called Mecilizine, and if you go to walmart its on the shelf and its Bonine each chewable is 25 mg. :o

Hi

just wanted to let you know bonine is mecilizine, I have read on here that bonine is great for cruise so I got a box for my cruise that I leave on Sunday,,,,Just so you know if you go to Walgreens, they have it behind the counter, and its just called Mecilizine, and if you go to walmart its on the shelf and its Bonine each chewable is 25 mg. :o

thanks! come back on board and let us know how you did. have a GREAT cruise

My sister, my daughter, me....we all get car sick, air sick etc....

My daughter is 38 so that tells you I'm no spring chicken, just a chicken:eek:

SO..what if I do two of the listed remedies? Like ginger AND meclizine? :confused: I know I would not use two of the "medicines" but since ginger is natural, would the two not work....you know.....like extra good??? My sister gave me the wrist bands but they sure are tight. I guess that is what makes them work.

Anyone who gets motion sick, even on Disney rides, knows I am not joking. Wait let me clarify that...the motion rides at Disney.

My last cruises I was so lucky, the sea was like smooth glass.

Any ideas on my idea?:D

Ginger is an option, but the claims of it being non-systemic are invalid. Ginger is absorbed in the GI tract, and some patients get gastric disturbances. (around 11%). Ginger in the elderly causes an increased clearance of other important meds, specifically cardiovascular.

Scopolimine patches work great, require a prescription, can cause drowsiness as well and increased thirst. Most kids don't drink enough water aboard, so watch that. Here are the listed side effects:

* drowsiness

* disorientation

* dry mouth

* blurred vision

* dilated pupils

* confusion

* hallucinations

* difficulty urinating

* rash

Meclizine works as well, and 50 mg tablets in bottles of 100 are kept behind the counter at most any pharmacy. No prescription is required, all you need to do is ask. Depending on the kids weight I'd give 1/2 a tablet each morning beginning the day of the cruise.

More info:

For oral dosage forms (tablets and chewable tablets):

* To prevent and treat motion sickness:

o Adults and children 12 years of age or older—The usual dose is 25 to 50 milligrams (mg) one hour before travel. The dose may be repeated every twenty-four hours as needed.

* To prevent and treat vertigo (dizziness):

o Adults and children 12 years of age or older—The usual dose is 25 to 100 mg a day as needed, divided into smaller doses.

Motion bands and pressure point devices are hit and miss, with some claiming relief almost immediately.

Whatever you do, if someone is sick no medicine will be effective, so take it at the first sign of feeling uneasy.

Just my opinion...

That is one of the best explanations that I have seen.

To the OP be aware that the Mythbusters show was only directed at non pharmaceutical remedies and did not consider any of the available drugs, whether prescription or OTC, which are generally recognized as the MOST effective treatments.

To be on the safe side, I would bring along some Bonine! I developed an inner ear problem that caused me to get violently ill on a short 10 minute trip on the big tour boat to Alcatraz - needless to say I was a bit concerned about our cruise! I took the chewable Bonine an hour before we boarded and every morning thereafter and I was fine! And best of all - it didn't make me a bit drowsy (and I'm a cheap date when it comes to medication - Benadryl knocks me out!)

Have a great cruise! ;)

Archived