Star Alliance - Delta

hdawson

How safe is it to assume that if Delta is being struck in June or if in fact they have declared liquidation, that my Delta eticket would be honored by Aeromexico one of Delta's Star Alliance Partners?

If all you have is an e-ticket and Delta is in fact in liquidation, I think there is a slim to none chance that the ticket will be honored. If you have a paper ticket, there is a much better chance of it being honored within the Star Alliance.

How safe is it to assume that if Delta is being struck in June or if in fact they have declared liquidation, that my Delta eticket would be honored by Aeromexico one of Delta's Star Alliance Partners?

As wrp96 posted, a paper ticket will ensure a better CHANCE of your ticket being honored. However, it will be up to the actual Star Alliance partner to decide IF they will honor the ticket. It is my understanding that AF will not honor FF tickets with Delta ticket numbers (they begin with 006 and I don't know if this is for ALL Delta partner ticket numbers or just AF). If the ticket is issued with an AF number, it will be honored.

A quick look at your tickets would be in order. If they are Delta ticket numbers, my advice: Redeposit miles IF there are other tickets available (check first). Then possibly reissue the ticket with an AeroMexico ticket number. You probably cannot just change the Delta number to an AeroMexico flight number.

This whole episode is entirely unchartered waters. No one knows whose tickets will be honored on partners and whose will not. I personally feel it depends on how much Delta owes to a partner through their interline agreements. If it is a small amount, tickets probably would be honored. If it is a large amount, probably not. There truly is NO way to recoup the money for a partner if Delta is in liquidation. So it is merely a goodwill gesture on the part of the partner.

It is a very sticky situation for all concerned. Good luck!!!

A couple of clarification points:

1) If it is an award ticket using DL SkyMiles, then the issuing airline is DL. Thus, the e-ticket WILL have a number starting with 006. That number reflects who wrote the ticket, and who is responsible for payment to any other airline. It can be totally on another airline's metal, without any DL flight number, and still be a DL-issued ticket. (For example, I have an award ticket coming up on CO flights, using NW miles, and the ticket number starts with 012, NW's accounting code)

2) You can't use SkyMiles to have another airline issue the ticket. SkyMiles are only redeemable through Delta, even though you can use them for many different airline awards.

3) DL is part of the SkyTeam alliance, not Star (which is UA/US/AC/LH and many more).

4) Be sure to keep in mind the differences between DL on strike and DL out of business (though many say that the latter would follow the former very quickly). There are some legal protections for the latter that don't apply during a strike.

5) Have contingency plans. Then have others. Above all, research every way you might use to get from A to B if DL is either struck or out of business. Knowledge is your key, along with a credit card at the ready.

A couple of clarification points:

1) If it is an award ticket using DL SkyMiles, then the issuing airline is DL. Thus, the e-ticket WILL have a number starting with 006. That number reflects who wrote the ticket, and who is responsible for payment to any other airline. It can be totally on another airline's metal, without any DL flight number, and still be a DL-issued ticket. (For example, I have an award ticket coming up on CO flights, using NW miles, and the ticket number starts with 012, NW's accounting code)

Are you stating that you cannot get a SkyMiles miles ticket issued on Aeromexico ticket stock? I don't know-I don't fly anything other than OneWorld, HP and very rarely WN. Oneworld issues tickets, even using AA miles, on other company ticket stock-CX, LAN and BA particularly.

If all SkyMiles tickets are issued using DL numbers, I think I would be VERY worried. It will now be up to the individual carrier to decide if they want to honor DL award tickets. Bad situation. Precaution is the name of the game at this date.

If you are on a paid ticket on a carrier other than Delta you will in all likelihood have no problem. If you are on a free ticket you are going to be staying home, even if it is a paper ticket.

Archived