Enchantment Changes Ports

For anyone scheduled on the 5 day Enchantment, they have changed the ports beginning in August. They are dropping Belize and adding Coco Cay :(

Coco cay is nice, but I was looking forward to visitng Belize.

For those who have been to Belize, is it worth changing ships to see that port??

Choirguy

Thanks for your post Choirguy. I went and looked at our reservation and sure enough, we're going to Coco Cay instead of Belize. I wasn't too thrilled about Belize in the first place but I know my husband would like to add Belize to his list of places he has visited.

I think we're just going to leave well enough alone and spend a gorgeous day at Coco Cay!

ummm thats a tough one...been to both....guess its what you want to do more. if you want a beach day then coco kay is the place for you. then again..you can always get an excursion in belize to visit a beach. plus you have numerous other things to do in belize. coco kay...well...it's all about the beach.

if you forced me to pick....think i'd go for belize....i save my sunbathing/relaxing days for "at sea" days.

We went to Belize on Enchantment a couple of months ago. My opinion (and that of my husband) is be glad they changed the itinerary. The water was brown and murky. The Belizians tried to tell us it was from the mahogany wood. What about the trash and garbage that were floating around the tender docking area then?

I just walked around near the pier for a while, got back on a tender and went back to the ship. My husband went snorkeling because Belize is said to have the second largest reef in the world. He said they had to go very far out to get to water clear enough to snorkel in. Although he snorkels every chance he gets, he said he would not bother in Belize if we went there again.

Enjoy Coco Cay.

We are booked on the July 31 itinerary. I just looked at my reservation and we are still sked for Belize. How did you find out? Where did you look and when are you going?

I'm really nervous 'cause that is why we booked this itin. We went to Belize 2 years ago and, due to an illness, didn't get to see much. I want to snorkel there so badly.

Yes, Belize is a third world country. The port is not the prettiest, but we loved what we saw. The people were friendly, some overbearring, but what do you expect. We went out of the port area and walked the main streets and enjoyed it. Nope, wouldn't go down an alley way, but I wouldn't do that here in our Nation's Capital either.

Hope we are still going.

Thanks for the heads up,

After I read the OP's message, I went to our reservation at My Cruises and looked at the itin. It now showed Coco Cay. I immediately went through the cruise booking process online for the same cruise we are on and that itin showed Belize. Not sure why they are different, but I would tend to believe the itin under My Cruises. Our cruise in in September.

We went to Belize on Enchantment a couple of months ago. My opinion (and that of my husband) is be glad they changed the itinerary. The water was brown and murky. The Belizians tried to tell us it was from the mahogany wood. What about the trash and garbage that were floating around the tender docking area then?

I just walked around near the pier for a while, got back on a tender and went back to the ship. My husband went snorkeling because Belize is said to have the second largest reef in the world. He said they had to go very far out to get to water clear enough to snorkel in. Although he snorkels every chance he gets, he said he would not bother in Belize if we went there again.

Enjoy Coco Cay.

We have some friends who used to go scuba diving every year in Belize. I've seen some fantastic photos of their underwater adventures (they have huge ones mounted in their family room). The water is clear and beautiful and the marine life colorful and fabulous. These pics were of at least 10 years ago, but I'm doubtful things have changed all that much. Sometimes if you try to snorkel right after a storm the water can be murky, but I don't believe the conditions you observed are typical. Plus, I'm sure they didn't dive right over by the docks.

We took a ship's excursion in Belize a few year's ago. It was the Jungle River cruise/Altun Ha ruins trip. It was excellent and we would do it again. Was looking at Enchantment dates to do it again. I'll stop looking at Enchantment now.

I've been to Belize twice now and loved it. The first time, we went snorkeling with the stingrays and went to coral gardens. Some of the most fantastic snorkeling I've done anywhere. The second time, we went cave tubing and that was a blast too. Both times I booked private excursions. I'm actually considering doing a land vacation there once my girls get a little older. I'm kinda bummed to hear about this, as we were considering going on the Enchantment in the fall to go to Belize again. Guess we'll stick with the Radiance. :rolleyes:

IMHO, you aren't missing anything by missing Belize unless you were planning on scuba diving (supposed to be some of the best in the world).

I've been there twice, went cave tubing twice (once with friends, enjoyed it and did it with family the next time).

If I ever went again, I wouldn't leave the ship. The cab drivers have to show passes to the armed guards at the entrance/exit to the port, and halfway through the ride there is a security checkpoint. If I wasn't on a tour I wouldn't leave the port area...

I'm looking forward to Coco Cay on my next cruise, but the beach is more of my thing anyways than buying the same touristy crap at every port...(but if I remember correctly, prescription meds are cheap otc there...)

Just go and enjoy your vacation (only get mad if you can't stop in Coco Cay because of the winds or whatever...)

Belize has only recently started cultivating their tourist industry. Yes, they're a bit more third world, but I liked that aspect, it was refreshing, relatively untouched. You don't have to stay in Belize City, there are scores of excursions that take you out into Belize itself. I would much rather go to Belize than Coco Cay. A country like Belize is infinitely more exotic and interesting to me than the Bahamas.

And yes, Belize has the second longest barrier reef in the world after the one in Australia. That's why you tender from 10 miles offshore.

When we were there, we did the Xunantunich ruins which are way on the other side of Belize, near the Guatamalan border. We passed by all sorts of countryside, was fun watching the ecosystems change as we travelled. When we got there, we were in a bona fide tropical forest, I thought that way cool. We did what they say not to and bought a plate of local food from a roadside merchant. Was pretty good and did not have any adverse effects on us. The excursion lunch we had a bit later was too Americanized for me, I mean hey if I want fajitas, I can get that at home! Give me stewed chicken, black beans & rice any day.

After I read the OP's message, I went to our reservation at My Cruises and looked at the itin. It now showed Coco Cay. I immediately went through the cruise booking process online for the same cruise we are on and that itin showed Belize. Not sure why they are different, but I would tend to believe the itin under My Cruises. Our cruise in in September.

I did the same thing and both ways showed Coco Cay. We are going on Sept. 25. I'm undecided on whether I like the change or not. I have been to Coco once, less that a week after Hurricane Charley, and the water was very murky and full of jellyfish. my dh loved laying in the hammocks in the shade. He could have done that all day. Belize sounded pretty exoctic to me since I haven't been to alot of places.

I did the same thing and both ways showed Coco Cay. We are going on Sept. 25. I'm undecided on whether I like the change or not. I have been to Coco once, less that a week after Hurricane Charley, and the water was very murky and full of jellyfish. my dh loved laying in the hammocks in the shade. He could have done that all day. Belize sounded pretty exoctic to me since I haven't been to alot of places.

We're also traveling on September 25th. We tend to enjoy walking around towns more than scuba, etc., and have to say that Belize City was disappointing. Nothing of great or historic interest.

We have been to Labadee twice and really enjoyed the native craft market. Is there something similar on Coco Cay?

If you are into walking around the pier and staying close to the ship, Belize it NOT for you.

But the Zipline Canopy tour and the Shark Ray Alley snorkel are both fabulous excursions in Belize. If you had told me before we went that I would actually jump into the water where there were sharks, I would have told you no way, but it was one of my life's best experiences. Awesome.

I know I'm not in the majority, but I personally think CocoCay is a waste of time. That is the port I don't get off at and stay on the ship...

I called customer service to be sure, and they did confirm that Belize is out and Coco Cay is in starting in August. Some parts of the website may still state otherwise, but should be updated soon.

I guess in the long run this is better for us. We couldn't go on the tubing in Belize because our DD (age 16 months) will be with us, and a day at Coco Cay would be easier with her along. I guess we're a bit spoiled living only a few miles from Clearwater and Largo beach! (another beach day....sigh.. I guess):)

Choirguy

OH NO, the only reason I booked Enchantment was because the kids begged for the zip line canopy tour! We really are not a beach type family and I can't see us hanging out at Coco Cay all day. My friend was there last week and the water was cold then. I can't imagine how could it will be in December. I just checked my reservations and it still shows Belize.

I booked this ship specifically because the last time my MIL cruised her Belize stop was canceled.....we wanted to take here there for their 60th anniversary. Now she won't get there again unless we change the whole grop trip. My luck if I book on the Legend.....they will bonk Belize too! What do I do?

Just checked my cabins and found with the port changes we're getting back $210! I just got a price drop a few weeks back with the 3rd person special, but this was a new one. So if y'all decide to keep your reservation, check to see if you're due some $$ back!

Choirguy

I'd be very disappointed to miss Belize in favor of Coco Cay! We just got back and had an amazing excursion up a river (90 minute boat ride) where we saw alligators, monkeys, all sorts of birds, iguana - and then got off for an authentic local lunch and amazing Mayan ruins. DD (12) loved it as did I. No comparison with a beach day.

Also, re Belize, the water near the harbor area is indeed brownish from silt discharge from the rivers. In fact, the reasons the ships dock so far out is that over the centuries (millenium) the silt discharged has "clogged" the area.

THere is very little industry in Belize beyond tourism and agriculture meaning that the water is likely to be quite clean beyond organic/silt discharge. (And very little population/sewage)

Archived