Ship's time when cruising Alaska

yellownovawife

Are we on Vancouver time for the whole trip, or do we switch to Alaska time at some point? If they say we arrive at a port at 7am, is that 7am ship's time or Alaska time? I am booking excursions on my own and I do not want to mess up! We will have a tough time getting our kids onto Vancouver time and I am hoping that will be it.

When we were on the Star Princess last summer, the ship changed time to be the same as local time for our Alaskan ports.

When we went on the Grand Princess in December, the ship stayed on Eastern Standard Time although we went to some ports that were on Central Standard Time. From what I've read, though, it's unusual for a Princess ship not to change its clocks to be the same as local time. Just don't believe anyone who says that they always change.

The best thing to do is to find someone who's been on the same ship and itinerary this season just to make sure.

Our ship, Ryndam with Holland Lines, changed ship's time to correspond to the land/port times. Time changes in Ketchican, I believe.

All of Alaska is on Alaska time, whereas Vancouver is on Pacific time.

• 4 weeks later...

Last week we were in Alaska.. 4 hours behind East Coast. The night we were to cruise to the Inside Passage and then dock in Vancouver we were told to reset our clocks back 1 hour.

As we traveled Southbound on the Veendam through the inner passage, the ship's clocks moved forward an hour from Alaska time to Pacific time to match the local time. There was a reminder in the daily program and also they put a little reminder card on our bed (with the chocolate).

Archived