flamables on balconies??

Bonnie J.

Just read on this board that Princess' fire was started on a balcony. What is there that burns on a balcony? Yes, the plexiglass burns, the plastic chairs melt and burn but not until something else is burning to start them burning. Can't figure out what would start the fire. A cigarette would melt a small spot on a chair, don't think it would have any way to get plexiglass burning. Any ideas????????????

Any ideas? Yes, as the other poster said, there are many threads with suggestions as to how this could have happened. One obvious idea, a lit cigarette butt landing on a balcony where someone was drying wet towels/clothes. It could easily start a fire that way.

I read that the paint on the ship is very flammable. There are no sprinklers on the outside of the the ship, nor are there smoke alarms (they work only in enclosed spaces).

I'm wondering what this will do for all the people who enjoy smoking on their balconies.

I've only read of a couple of cruise lines that disallow smoking in cabins and balconies, Disney and Oceania. It will be interesting to see if any others start making changes.

Archived