Jade???

I am going on the Mariner in August and the RCI site says there is a Jade on board. Has anyone ever been??? I love sushi and want to know if it is worth missing dinner in the dining room one night to go. Is there an extra charge like the other specialty restaurants? Thanks!:D

Jade is nothing great. It's just a part of the windjammer, I don't eat sushi but it's been discussed before on this site and the general consensus is sushi must be very fresh to be good and it's hard to have very fresh fish when they stock the ship for 7 days. I wouldn't skip the dining room for jade unless your looking for a very casual night. ie: shorts and t-shirts are ok in the windjammer

Actually, we LOVED Jade...to each their own. :) There is a different Asian cuisine most nights, and it was a nice alternative to the dining room menu at times. I'm not a big sushi eater so I can't comment on that, but if you enjoy various types of Asian food...Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc...then you should definitely check out Jade.

And no extra charge, as the previous poster said, it is part of the Windjammer Cafe.

I would rate the sushi as a 3 out of 10. There are no raw sushi pieces. Also, the rice is not the correct type for sushi. If you've never had sushi you might say, "this is ok." If you have had the real thing before, you won't make a special trip to get some on the ship. The other Jade offerings are much better.

Thanks! Our TA sent us a voyager class cd and it featured Jade for a few seconds and it looked real fancy so I was just wondering what people thought. Now I know not to miss dinner for it but just to stop by and try it.

Thanks! Our TA sent us a voyager class cd and it featured Jade for a few seconds and it looked real fancy so I was just wondering what people thought. Now I know not to miss dinner for it but just to stop by and try it.

It's a great place for lunch because its very close to the pool. Enjoy your cruise, I love the voyager class.

We had late seating dinner... so, each night at 6ish, I would go to the Windjammer and pick up some snacks for the cabin. I would get some sushi from Jade ( not the best if you like good sushi... but it hits the spot) and also get some cheese and fruit.

This was a great snack to tide us over til dinner since we were usually so hungry from active days.

I would rate the sushi as a 3 out of 10. There are no raw sushi pieces. Also, the rice is not the correct type for sushi. If you've never had sushi you might say, "this is ok." If you have had the real thing before, you won't make a special trip to get some on the ship. The other Jade offerings are much better.

I had salmon sashimi on our cruise last month. It wasnt as good as Ive had here at home of course, but I also didnt have the brand of soysauce I like either. But I plan to bring some with me in Dec. Plus I like my wasabi a little thinner but that wasnt an issue.

We had late seating dinner... so, each night at 6ish, I would go to the Windjammer and pick up some snacks for the cabin. I would get some sushi from Jade ( not the best if you like good sushi... but it hits the spot) and also get some cheese and fruit.

This was a great snack to tide us over til dinner since we were usually so hungry from active days.

We also had late dinner and our kids loved eating at Windjammer so we'd go up at 6 for a appetizer of rolls (those were ok, not much variety) while the kids ate, then we'd head to Wig & Gavel for a drink and the kids would hit the club while we ate at the late seating.

I wonder if Jade is different on Monarch than on Voyager?

We were on Monarch a little over a year ago and, having never had sushi before decided to stop into Jade to try it. I had the variety plate with had both sushi and sashimi (sp?) and it wasn't anything like I've seen around the Windjammer. It was cut to order and served as what I would think sushi would be served as, raw fish. While there was a California roll on the plate similar to what I've seen on other sailings, the sushi was just the fish and the shashimi was fish on top of a bed formed rice (sticky rice for lack of a better word).

How good was it? I haven't got a clue as to how good it is compared to land based restaurants but I enjoyed my meal there. So I guess it was pretty good for a sushi novice.

Dougp: you have it mixed up.

Sushi is the fish on the rice.

Sashima is just the piece of fish (no rice).

Just FYI --

Good to know in case I ever make it into another sushi restaurant again. I'd hate to order one thing thinking it was another.

Archived