A free Nassau shore excursion - April 8, 2006

zydecocruiser

zydecocruiser,

Many thanks for the link to the walking tour and the great pictures.

My Wife and I just got home from our cruise to Nassau and we did the tour right off the ship and it was great.

We were luckily the first ship in port and were able to get off the ship a half hour early and were able to hit everything up to the Queen's Staircase before anyone else got off our boat or the 2 RCCL ships that arrived within minutes of our ship.

The first excursion we ran into was at Fort Fincastle.

I recommend letting the local guides stationed at the Queen's Staircase (great local named Phillip) and at the Fort give you a tour for a buck or two tip. Great information.

We also stopped in the Graycliff and took the free tour of the cigar factory and were then let to wander the private grounds and take pictures of their gorgeous pools and grounds.

We wound up taking Scubagirl's recommendation and when the tour got to the British Colonial Hilton, we got a day pass for $15 and enjoyed their beach and pool facilities for the day. (with only 2 couples from another ship, 10 British vacationers from the hotel and the dancers from our ship)

The best $30 we spent on the trip and we are definitely taking advantage of the deal everytime we stop in Nassau.

Bill

I wanted to add my Thanks for this thread and the pictures - I'll be going to Nassau for the first time in October with a group of girlfriends (22 in all) and we've been talking about various things to do in port. I'm going to go armed with this thread (LOL) as a suggestion for those feeling like doing more than just some shopping.

• 4 weeks later...

Zydeco: A thousand thanks!! Going to Nassau on The Norwegian Dawn next week, and I now feel I have a GREAT overview! Was a little concerned, because the itinerary is a bit skewed (8 P.M. to Noon the next day). Now I know what spots to hit first. Again, My Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Just booked another Sensation cruise for the end of January.

Can't wait to do the walking tour again and expand our time at some sites we shorted the first time around.

And then of course spend the rest of the day poolside at the BCH!!!!!!!!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I did this tour as well. If you are interested in seeing my photos, they are at http://www.pbase.com/2112/nassau

Excellent pictures.

My Wife and I couldn't believe how beautiful the streets were as we walked the tour.

Gorgeous flowering plants growing everywhere and beautiful walkways and paths everywhere you turned.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Great free walking tour.

I did this a week ago when I was in Nassau. The link in the original poster's email is the most condensed version of the tour with detailed history for each thing you are looking at.

I would probably make a few adjustments, but for first timers, follow exactly.

When we were up by Fort Fincastle I wasn't sure where the small walking path was, but then I recognized it from the pictures posted, so reviewing the pictures helped me out.

Word of advice, there is one part of the walking tour that has you walking in traffic. Basically it is the parts 9, 10 and 11 (Gregory Arch, St. Andrew's Kirk, and Government House).

I am not sure if there is a way to do this without ending up in traffic, but I figured that I would warn people so they are extra careful on this part of the walking tour.

hi! I loved your pics thank you so much for posting them! I will be heading there in May and I was curious when you went and what time it gets dark. We have an excursion planned until 5 and then we'll have to do dinner but I'm hoping there will still be time to make the rounds. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
Your pictures are beautiful, would this be to much walking for a couple in their 50's?

Chiro 59

The only really distant part of the tour is getting out to Fort Fincastle/Queen's Staircase. (which is unfortunately the best part of the tour)

It is uphill most of the way there.....(you can see the watertower next to the Fort from the ship)

Once you get there, it is all downhill. (literally)

If you are in shape, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm an out of shape 42 year old and had zero problem with any part of the walking tour. (twice now)

Bill

Zydecocruiser,

Thank you so much for the beautiful pics and valuable information. It must have been alot of work and it is VERY appreciated.

It certainly seemed to help alot of people, me included.

We are taking our first cruise in May and have four hours to burn before we go snorkeling so we will def do this.

Thanks again

Zydeco-

Thank you so much for your time and effort. Your pics are amazing

Seemed to help alot of people, me included.

We are going on our first cruise in May and needed to burn some time before we go snorkeling, This is perfect :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info. It is a great help. I'm just hoping the flowers are just a beautiful when we go in August.

They were amazing when went the first week of September.

I couldn't believe how many were still in bloom when we went the last week of January.

I guess living on a tropical island has it's perks, vegetation-wise.

Bill