A free Nassau shore excursion - April 8, 2006

zydecocruiser

I have been to Nassau more than a few times and I am ashamed to say that while I did a lot of snorkelling, the straw market and some of the Atlantis, I've never done the walking tour. My DH has never been to Nassau and I really want him to see it all. thank you for the post! I have a guidebok with the walking tour in it, but its quite different being able to see it in pictures.

Thank you for the great pictures of Nassau. I will forward this link to my group so they can check out your gorgeous photos. However, there was one picture that I thought was particularly humerous. The entrance way to the Bahaiman Restaurant made me do a double take. (Exterminator Sign).:D

I informed my husband :eek: the other day that I booked a second anniversary cruise for us! YAY! :D

We are all set and coming in from Chi-Town early that morning and heading right to the docks! We are totally going to take your advice and do the walking tour...FANTASTIC PICS!!!...we will end up at a bar falling off our stools later...:p

Is the pool on the ship really that bad that people want to go to a hotel for the day? Or is it just the whole "beach" atmosphere that people are looking for? Just wondering!

Is Atlantis just as good at night? I wouldn't mind saving some cash on that one...probably less busy too...right???

Is the snorkeling any good down here? Any good 4 hours tours?...I wouldn't mind getting lost right now! I want to see CLEAR water with some great fish...no stingrays here Matey...:(

Also, are we going to be fighting off Hurricane "Unknown" in September??

WOW..are you worn out yet...I am! No more questions...for now!!

You guys rock, that's in advance for the info! Let me know if you will be onboard the mighty Fascination in Sept!!

Many cruisers (myself included) don't enjoy the sea water in the ships pools. (that and they are so small and usually overcrowded)

Thus I prefer to pay $15 to use a hotel's pool for the day. (and have the beach a few feet away)

Bill

also forgot to mention if you go to Atlantis after 6 or so you can get in to the dig without paying.

Depends on what time of year you go.

In January the guards went home before we got there at 6PM.

But some months of the year, they won't leave until 7PM or even later.

So don't get discouraged if they are still there when you arrive.

Just check out another part of the hotel for a few minutes and check back, until the guards go home.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Also wondering if you arrive in port at 12 noon until 6:00 PM. Would that be enought time to do the walking tour and also do the Fort Charlotte.

The walking tour only took us about 2 hours each time we did it.

(that was with exterior only stops at the Parliament, Supreme Court and Library due to starting the tour before they opened, but extended stops at Fort Fincastle, the Queen's Staircase and the Graycliff Hotel, to tour their cigar factory.)

Unless you have a somewhat disabled member in your group slowing you down, I couldn't imagine it taking more than 3 hours tops.

Plus when you get to the British Colonial Hilton part of the tour (right near the end) you could easily catch a #10 Jitney for $1, at the McDonlad's directly across the street from the BCH, to Fort Charlotte, which is a short drive past the BCH and the free beach next door.

Bill

Great thread!

We'll be in Nassau on 12/18 from 7 am til 2 pm. We've done stingrays, the daughter's done dolphins, I've wandered around the main shopping district by myself in blistering mid-summer heat and I've been looking for something else to do this cruise.

I figured it was time to see more of the islands and do less of the excursions (whole lot cheaper, too!).

I'll print the Frommer's tour and put it with my other stack of info that I've gotten since discovering this board a few weeks ago! Thanks to everyone for the info!

So, tell me how this sounds for planning our day in Nassau. Mind you, I have no idea what time our excurion will be but we'll fit that in.

We'll get off the ship @ 7a, do the 2 hour FREE walking tour, and then probably do our excursion next, grab lunch @ Senior Frogs, go to the free beach next to BCH. (Is that the Hilton?) How do you access it? Spend the afternoon on the beach, and then go back to the ship for dinner, etc.

Sound right? Anyone, please speak up if you have suggestion. Also, sorry if this is a repeat question but can we walk to ALL of these places from the ship? THANKS for all the great pics & advice!

I wish I could answer your questions, but I don't know.

Bill informed me about the jitney #10 to get to Fort Charlotte. He did mention that it goes right pass the free beach, so that might help on getting there. It's a $1.00 each way.

We are thinking about getting either a carriage or taxi to take us to Fort Fincastle, then walking from there, since the OP said it was all down hill from there. (trying to start at the furtherst point away and work our way back toward the ship), then on to the jitney for Fort Charlotte. If time permits we would like to do some of these other things offered.

I hope I don't get in trouble here, but here is a sight I found while surfing the internet that is very informative on things to do there...there is so much, but I know I can not get it all in at once. I am all about the history of the Island, and old day things...of the past..:)

Try looking here, it might give you something that helps..

http://www.bahamasgo.com/

:D

Thanks for the link. I think we'll take a jitney to Fort Fincastle, and walk back as well. I like walking down a hill better than up it. LOL. When are you going?

We both agree on that LOL...walking down hill is the way to go....:p

We are going this October.. I'm quite excited...can't wait...

Have a great trip when you go....should be a wonderful time....I haven't been to the Bahama's since 93..so can't wait to see what has changed...