A free Nassau shore excursion - April 8, 2006

zydecocruiser

Considering the number of views, recommendations, and positive feedback this thread gets, would be nice if the administrators could make this thread a "sticky" - so it will always be on the first page.

Or at least ask Zydecocruiser if they can use his great photos and create a brand new, major tourist sites of Nassau sticky....

Maybe have Scubagirl do the write ups for up to date information on prices and times open....

The "what is there to do in Nassau" seems to be the first thing, every new visitor asks.....

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

What a wonderful visual tour of Nassau!!!! Thank you so much.

We will be there in October with a number of family members and are looking forward to seeing many of the things in your pictures.

Thanks too to 2112 for those pictures!

I am also thanking Zydec..........this is our first cruise and have been debating on what to do while in Nassau. Our ship will be docked there over night so I guess We will have plenty of time to do things there. I have been asking for opinions on the best things to do there that are worth doing. We do not have a problem with doing a self guided tour we just want to make sure not to get scammed into anything. We considered th Atlantis digs and still might do it but we want some fun interesting things to do. Also I love dolphins and I would like to see them but do not want to pay the price for the excursion, any ideas there?

I am also thanking Zydec..........this is our first cruise and have been debating on what to do while in Nassau. Our ship will be docked there over night so I guess We will have plenty of time to do things there. I have been asking for opinions on the best things to do there that are worth doing. We do not have a problem with doing a self guided tour we just want to make sure not to get scammed into anything. We considered th Atlantis digs and still might do it but we want some fun interesting things to do. Also I love dolphins and I would like to see them but do not want to pay the price for the excursion, any ideas there?

We have done the 24 hour/overnight cruise on the Sensation twice.

Both times, we got off the ship first thing in the morning and did the walking tour, while it was still cooler in the morning.

Then go to the British Colonial Hilton to enjoy the pool and beach with their daypass in the afternoon. (if you have kids, the Cable Beach hotels could be substuted here for the same price and a $1 Jitney ride)

Then we go back to the ship for dinner, a shower and a change.

Then take a cab to Atlantis in the evening, when the Digs Aquarium is free. (after the guards go home there is no $29 charge like during the day. They were already gone by 6:30PM when we were there in January)

Bill

We have done the 24 hour/overnight cruise on the Sensation twice.

Both times, we got off the ship first thing in the morning and did the walking tour, while it was still cooler in the morning.

Then go to the British Colonial Hilton to enjoy the pool and beach with their daypass in the afternoon. (if you have kids, the Cable Beach hotels could be substuted here for the same price and a $1 Jitney ride)

Then we go back to the ship for dinner, a shower and a change.

Then take a cab to Atlantis in the evening, when the Digs Aquarium is free. (after the guards go home there is no $29 charge like during the day. They were already gone by 6:30PM when we were there in January)

Bill

Thanks Bill for info we wer looking at thos pictures and we think we would like to do the walking tour I think I read on here that it takes about 2 hours then that would be good. As far as Atlantis I would like to do it I don't think the fee is important but what I am concerned about is if we go at night what are we still going to be able to get back on the ship. I don't know anything about how long you have to get back on board but then again we are docked over night. We will be there June 3 so who knows how things wil be then.

Thanks Bill for info we wer looking at thos pictures and we think we would like to do the walking tour I think I read on here that it takes about 2 hours then that would be good. As far as Atlantis I would like to do it I don't think the fee is important but what I am concerned about is if we go at night what are we still going to be able to get back on the ship. I don't know anything about how long you have to get back on board but then again we are docked over night. We will be there June 3 so who knows how things wil be then.

Nassau is extremely well set up for cruisers.

All ships dock right at the pier. (I think 6 moorings)

You literally walk right off and to the multi-colored Welcome Center.

Going out, there is no checks.

Coming back to the ship, they stop you before letting you back onto the pier, just to check your ship card and a photo ID.

The Sensation that we visited Nassau on both times this year, docked at the furthest mooring both times, and the walk from the gangplank to street was 5 minutes leaving and 10 minutes (once) when there was a small line around dinnertime, returning to the ship.

We returned from Senor Frogs in January at around 11:30PM and had no problem getting back to the ship.

There was only one guard checking cards, rather than 2 or 3 that do during the day, but there was also, only a few people returning to the ships at that hour also.

Bill

I understand the price problems with the dolphins. If you book directly, it is a little less expensive and if you are only an observer it is $20. You can check out http://dolphinencounters1-px.rtrk.com/program.htm for more info.

Just got back fro our cruise on Sovereign of the Seas this past weekend. The walking tour of Nassau was fun! We got a bit turned around and walked several more miles than necessary, but still had a good time! Most enjoyed the Queen's staircase and Fort Findcastle. We had last been to Nassau (actually Paradise Island) on our honeymoon almost 33 years ago and had rented a scooter back then, but do not recall seiing either of these back then! I had been in Nassau on a cruise as a young girl and have memories of the Royal Victorian Hotel (I think) with a hige banyan tree out front and a steel drum band on the verandah. Also the famingo show at a garden. This sticks out in my mind because a black gentleman with a heavy British accent at these gardens made my little sister, who was four or five. put on a long skirt over her short romper because her knees were showing. She was very embarassed and such a shy little girl! My mom and grandma laughed about this for years! On the walking tour there is just a parking lot where the Royal Vicroian was located as it burned down many years ago.

Fun day! Thanks for the photos here!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For the newbies asking about this awesome thread.

Thank you so much for steering me to this thread! It has great info and now gives me more of idea of what to do while we are in Nassau.

Terrific photo's! I can't wait to see everything first hand!

Thanks Zydeco for posting this. Have been debating what to do in Nassau, definitely don't want to do the whole Atlantis thing - way too much for a short period in port. Question - you said there are buggys right outside the port area. Is it possible to get a buggy to take us to the Queen's Staircase/Ft. Fincastle and then we could walk back? Not sure how my knees would handle so much walking there and back. Was thinking about doing this and then taking the jitney to Arawak Cay for the fish fry.

Thanks Zydeco for posting this. Have been debating what to do in Nassau, definitely don't want to do the whole Atlantis thing - way too much for a short period in port. Question - you said there are buggys right outside the port area. Is it possible to get a buggy to take us to the Queen's Staircase/Ft. Fincastle and then we could walk back? Not sure how my knees would handle so much walking there and back. Was thinking about doing this and then taking the jitney to Arawak Cay for the fish fry.

The buggy's are there as soon as you exit the Welcome Center. (same as the taxi's)

I believe the buggy's route must be almost the same as the Walking tour, as they kept passing us as we did the tour. (both times)

I'm sure if your specify that you want to go to the Queen's Staircase at the start, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

Another thing to consider would be a taxi tour to take you there and to a few other sites. I have heard several negative reviews about the buggies being very scarry with the way the traffic is. I haven't actually experienced it, but I have read several reviews on it. I have read several reviews where they picked up a taxi tour near the port and were very happy with it.

You could try posting a question about taxi verses buggy tours on a new thread. There is a lady named scubagirl who posts and knows a ton about Nassau.

We are in Nassau for an entire day so we are planning on the walking tour in the morning, taking a break on the ship for lunch and then taking the Jitney down to Fort Charlotte and then checking out the Adastra Gardens in the afternoon.

Have fun planning.

A Walking Tour of Nassau...

Nassau was the only port on my recent Carnival Liberty cruise where I did not have a firm plan in advance of what I would do there.

Had thought about Pearl Island excursions, but thought it would be crowded with 6 ships in port and all reports indicated that it was. Two people from my dinner table did the treasure hunt and found no treasure - perhaps the earlier cruisers had looted it all. They are supposed to reseed, so who knows. They did end up with a couple of smelly conch shells for their trouble.

Considered Atlantis, but it just seems like a waste of a port and more of a destination in itself to be discovered another day.

So, decided to do a self-guided walking tour. Of cours I had forgotton my notes -liberated from here:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

and a map to go with:

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg/251_walkingtourhistoricnassau.jpg

From the ship you should be able to see a number of points of interest

1) Atlantis

2) Straw Market

3) Senior Frogs

4) British Colonial Hilton (was a Sheraton when I stayed there, me thinks).

EGvgBY8MjGKDQdxJPOj49s3WCzUoD0l+0300.jpg

lpktqvFzJ1wAlUlpIYjg4qxCMYLutLSG0300.jpg

X9s1tjfVcEY-FbhFSFYWsLtSi2Ef25jy0300.jpg

D5JfTXpi+ubL1miAy-rNEWYYoWhnkzyo0300.jpg

There is no shortage of maps and booklets available inside Festival Place which is hard to miss and in fact, I don't think you can. I picked up a couple of maps and a couple of booklets and off I went. One note - bring water with - going up hills and stairs can lead to much thirst.

nvuBzAog1htAsKxjXV7c5OjywoTy8MXM0300.jpg

What a cool looking place...i cant wait!!

• 3 weeks later...