randi's happy horses

muffy168

Hi , Question to those who have experienced this excursion. It sound wonderful. But we are in our 40's. I worry that after a day on horses we will be too sore to enjoy the rest of the trip. Anyone else middle aged and not fantastically fit who can let me know how their experience was . I'd love to do this, just don't want to be in pain the rest of the cruise. Thanks, cari

The first time we did this, DH was 42. When we do this again in January, he will be almost 45. He isn't in the greatest shape and even has a sore back constantly and he LOVED this trip. My bum was a little sore after, but we didn't feel anything more than a little stiffness the next day. Certainly nothing to damper anything on our cruise and it didn't keep us from zip lining & doing a ton of walking in PV the next day. You can always slow your horse down to a walk so you aren't bouncing as much. The key is to make sure your stirrups are at the right height so that you can brace your body and not bounce as much. I highly recommend this to anyone that I can.... a most wonderful day!

Road with Randi two weeks ago. (both of us are in our mid 50's)

Had a great time! Felt a few new muscles the next day, nothing serious though.

Go for it, you'll love it!

You will do fine! I am 50, hubby is 57 and aunt is 59 - we all had the time of our life! I just walked along (just say NO! if one of the helpers tries to hurry your horse along!) and wasn't sore in the least! Aunt and hubby even galloped a bit and were fine! To see our pictures, click the link below and choose the Mazatlan album!

Whatever you decide to do - have fun!!! ;)

We were also there 2 weeks ago! :D

We love Randi's Happy Horses, but I do have one suggestion.....don't wear your bathing suit under your clothing for the ride. I did this last time and oh my, the "girls" were really bouncing around. This was very uncomfortable, so I would suggest wearing a good sports bra, with lots of support. :)

Wear capri's or long pants, to protect your legs, too.

I think you won't hurt much after the ride....and if you do, what a good excuse for a couple of extra BBC's to make you feel better!!! :D

Margie, your post made me laugh out loud. Didn't dawn on me till reading

your post that that was why things were quite bouncy. I did wear my

bathing suit and we never even thought of going in the water. I would

say you probably wouldn't go swimming, but if you are intent on

it, you could do it.

Regarding being sore, it may depend on the horse you have. My horse

was Blanco and he was very spirited. His gait was very rough also. That,

and I couldn't keep my feet in the stirrups very well, made me quite sore.

Then the next day we hit the canopy tour, and then that added to it. I still

enjoyed everything, but did feel sore. I am 45 and exerecise a few times

a week. I think you use new muscles on new adventures and that is it.

I would do it again pain or not.

We were just there April 5th.

My DH and I asked the same thing before we rode the first time. "Are we too old for this?" (we were 57 & 59). And we had the best time ever - our favorite tour in ALL of Mexico. Other posters are right about making sure your feet are able to reach and stay in the stirrups. My first ride they didn't and there was no way to cushion the bouncing and I was quiet sore. Not sore enough though to wish I hadn't done it. That beach is awesome, the ride is even more awesome and Victor's is the perfect end to a wonderful tour. And Randi has become a friend for life. Also, you can change into your swimsuit at Victor's. If the jelly fish are not there, the water (at least in Aug - Oct) is warm. Have fun! Wish we were going soon.

My husband & 1 are 53, not in great shape, and just rode with Randi this past Tues. It was great - only the 3 of us (including our daughter) with her assistant, Tony. We were sore that evening, but had pretty much recovered (nothing a little Advil didn't cure) by the next day for our Los Veranos canopy tour. We'd highly recommend both Randi's and Los Veranos!

Your actual riding time will probably only be an hour or little more once everyones horse is adjusted and the ride starts. It is mostly a leisurely walk so enjoy. Tell Randi hello.

We just back and did this tour. We are in our 40's and had a great time. My daughter's are 11 and 17 and had a blast. I agree with the "girls" though. I didn't wear a sports bra........and I was hurting........Wear one if you are at all "blessed" in that area. Another women and I were laughing on the tour about the same thing.

The scenery is just awesome and breathe taking. I wore capri's to be on the safe side. Randi was waiting right there for us when we got off the boat. It was very easy to find her. The beach was warm though. The food at Victor's was excellent and well worth the money. The vendors though were a real PIA and constant. They never let up. That was probably the worse thing of the entire day.

Have a good time!!!!!!!

Barbara

Do not worry!!!. My wife and I, both 50, and certainly not in the best shape, rode with Randy last summer. Neither one of us were particularly sore and had none by the next morning. My advice for the guys is to also protect "the boys" if you are not a very experienced rider. It's difficult not to be slapping the boys on the saddle. If the girls think they hurt, just think of us guys. Honestly, wear jeans rather than shorts and briefs rather than boxers and you'll be fine. Randi is a hoot, the view is great, and the food at Victors is excellent for very little money. Also, beers were only $1.20.

Enjoy.

Me and my family just rode with randi (4-12-06) and every thing was great! I misplaced our backpack at a stop. the guides found it and returned to us! thank god, the new dvd camcorder was in it and i would have been in the dog house. we were a little sore but would do it anytime we are back. It was our 7 year olds first time on a horse, he is still talking about it!!!:) :)

We're already scheduled to ride with Randi at Thanksgiving but after reading many of the comments online here, I have just one concern.

My DD is 15 but has only been on horses for the follow-the-butt type rides. Many people have talked about how the guides will encourage the horses to gallup and I'm concerned she may not be ready for that if she's not warned in advance. Do they do this to everybody? Do they give you instructions on the commands first and how to properly hold on?

We're already scheduled to ride with Randi at Thanksgiving but after reading many of the comments online here, I have just one concern.

My DD is 15 but has only been on horses for the follow-the-butt type rides. Many people have talked about how the guides will encourage the horses to gallup and I'm concerned she may not be ready for that if she's not warned in advance. Do they do this to everybody? Do they give you instructions on the commands first and how to properly hold on?

Let Randi or Tony know that she does not want to trot or gallop and they will let the other guides know. I just said "No" when one of the guides tried to get mine to trot - once he knew I just wanted to walk everything was grand! ;)

I was in my late 40's when I went on that particular excursion and was a city boy who had never ridden a horse in all my life. I had a FANTASTIC time and it was my favourite excursion of the whole trip!

They'll match you up with a good horse for your riding skill level.

Go for it -- you won't regret it! :)

Dave

Thanks for the replies! My DD is a bit timid around strangers sometimes and I wouldn't want her falling off a horse because she was too shy to say something! I feel better now and SO EXCITED!!

Ah! But Randi & her staff aren't strangers, they become friends by the end of your day. We rode with Randi almost 2 years ago and she is still a good friend! How many tour operators do you communicate with regularly after you tour with them? Your daughter will have a great time! Enjoy this most wonderful day!

We just got back this week. We had the best time with Randi’s. Our ages 66,45,41 & 8 Everyone loved it. My daughter was afraid at first so the guide just held her lead for the whole ride and she loved it. Grandma had a blast too! I can't recommend Randi enough those of us that have rode with her would gladly do it again. It’s true by the end of the day you are her friend. Don’t forget that you’re at a beautiful beach with good food and excellent service. You have time to enjoy both. It was the best bargain on the cruise.icon14.gif

We had the best time on this one! I could not move my legs when I go off the horse and I could not even lightly touch my inner thighs for a good number of days later.

It was a riot and I would do it again in an instant!

Take aspirin for the after affects when you're done, but what ever you do, don't miss the Garlic Shimp at Victor's after the ride!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm 50 and in pretty good shape, but horseback riding requires different muscles than I usually use. I had a hard time easing myself into a chair for a good week after because of soreness in my inner thighs. On top of that, my back started spasming the next day, possibly because of the nonstop galloping and trotting we did. A superb massage onoard the ship took care of it!

My horse was particularly frisky, perhaps because they don't get to go out every day. This was a very long ride for me! Albeit the most exciting and picturesque.

We had a foggy morning ride (no realy view of anything) and the horses loved splashing in the waves. Be advised that some of the guides don't speak any English, at least the ones riding near me did not.

For example, I wanted to adjust my stirrups to make them shorter, and was told that they are not adjustable. This may have contributed to my soreness, as I could not lift myself out of the saddle when trotting even the least little bit. From a safety concern, I also wanted to shorten my DD's stirrups since her feet were barely touching the bottom of the stirrup, but was told "Next year she'll be taller."

One fellow on the ride grew up riding Arabians and he was very impressed with the responsiveness of the horses and how well-trained they were. My horse, Palamino, would break into a canter with a simple pat on the shoulder (not my intention - more like a "good horse" pat). Very different from typical trail rides back home. I've had riding lessons, stayed at dude ranches and had numerous trail rides over the years, but this was the most exciting and memorable, but also probably my last ride.

Trust me - if you let them know that you are content to just "walk" your horse along the beach, you will be fine! The trotting was not working for me at all, so I just kept saying "No" if the helper tried to hurry my horse along. He finally understood, then when I saw Tony I asked him to let the helper know that I was just content to go slow along the beach. After that it was fine. If you have any concerns, just let Tony or Randi know in advance and they are more than happy to allow you to "meander" along the beautiful beach! I guarantee that you won't be stiff and sore if you do that! ;) Those that like to trot and gallop can do so - my hubby and son had a blast! Anyone can do this tour!

My wife and I have a reservation for Randi's for the July 9 sailing of the Pride. So far, I have gleaned the following tips:

1. Wear jeans without swimsuit underneath. Do you just pack the swimsuit elsewhere and carry it with you and get it at Victor's? Does someone else carry your stuff?

2. Would shorts be better in July or is this a really bad idea?

3. Would you suggest that i get a disposable camera for this or would my medium-expensive digital camera be safe from damage?

4. What's on the menu at Victor's?

Thanks for you help!

Archived