randi's happy horses

muffy168

In 2003 we went on Randi's ride and after 6 cruises this was and is by far or favorite memory! We are now booking to go the Mex Riv. for this fall and will NOT miss going again and seeing Randi & (hopefull) Stewart again. It was a wonderful trip! There are four of us 1-55 and the rest in our 40s and we won't miss this part of the trip for anything!

My wife and I have a reservation for Randi's for the July 9 sailing of the Pride. So far, I have gleaned the following tips:

1. Wear jeans without swimsuit underneath. Do you just pack the swimsuit elsewhere and carry it with you and get it at Victor's? Does someone else carry your stuff?

2. Would shorts be better in July or is this a really bad idea?

3. Would you suggest that i get a disposable camera for this or would my medium-expensive digital camera be safe from damage?

4. What's on the menu at Victor's?

Thanks for you help!

1. - 2. I would say that shorts are almost mandatory in July! When we went in late June, there were no jeans - it is way too hot! Everyone on the ride was in shorts and I don't think anyone had any problems - at least no one that we were with! There were several on the ride in April wearing shorts as well!

3. I brought my canon digital camera on the ride and it was just fine.

4. Let's see - the coconut shrimp is yummy, the garlic shrimp is yummy, the ribs are yummy, the chicken is yummy, the quesadillas are yummy, the smoothies are yummy... ;) Those are the only things we have personally tasted. They will let you get half coconut half garlic shrimp if you like!

Oh my gosh - I am getting jealous! Would love to spend another happy day with Randi on the beach! :D

HIGHSEASLOVER - in Puerto Vallarta you might want to try the de Los Veranos Canopy Tour (zip lines) - we had a blast there (you can see the pictures by clicking on the link: http://community.webshots.com/user/jenmoreno ) Randi's and de Los Veranos just can't be beat!!!

Ditto everything Luckyloo said - and we have been there twice in October and the water is so warm. Don't forget the guacomole dip - wow. I think we need another cruise to the Mexican Riviera just to see Randi! It is that good.

Oh you guys STOP!! We won't be there until January and I can hardly stand it. It has been 2 long years (this week by the way!) since we have seen Randi and we can't wait to get back!

I could not imagine wearing jeans in July. We were there during June and I wore shorts with my swimsuit underneath. I would have DIED in jeans! There is a restroom at Victor's.

I had the garlic shrimp and DH had the ribs! There is a combo plate that I am going to try this time! The Onion Rings are a MUST!!! I love them!! Oh man! I wish it was January already!!

Wow...I guess we were the only ones who weren't impressed at all with Randi's happy horses. Many of the horses had bones sticking out in all the wrong places.

After all the wonderful reviews we read, we were VERY disappointed in the tour. After having to wait for 30 minutes to even start the tour, once we got to the island, we had another hour or so to wait for the horses. (We were sore afterwards, but any horseback riding trip will leave you sore if you are not used to riding.)

The food was good, though, and the drinks were cheap. We were all glad to get back to the ship safely.

Wish I could be more positive but it just wasn't what we were expecting. We did love the canopy tours in PV, though!

Wow...I guess we were the only ones who weren't impressed at all with Randi's happy horses. Many of the horses had bones sticking out in all the wrong places.

After all the wonderful reviews we read, we were VERY disappointed in the tour. After having to wait for 30 minutes to even start the tour, once we got to the island, we had another hour or so to wait for the horses. (We were sore afterwards, but any horseback riding trip will leave you sore if you are not used to riding.)

The food was good, though, and the drinks were cheap. We were all glad to get back to the ship safely.

Wish I could be more positive but it just wasn't what we were expecting. We did love the canopy tours in PV, though!

Are you sure you were with Randi's? NONE of her horses are in poor condition. Yes, you often have to wait for the other people to get off the ship who take their time getting there. Randi will always wait as long as possible so that NO one misses her tour. And I have never heard anyone that has had to wait for the horses.

Not ONCE did we not feel safe with Randi & her crew so I am not sure what you mean by "back to the ship safely"

If you were expecting a resort type trail ride, then you were mistaken. I don't think anyone portrays this trip like that. Randi does this tour for the "travelers" not the "tourists". If your expectations were different, I can see where it would throw you off. But if you want to experience Mexico with one of the nicest and most down to earth FRIENDS I have ever had, then Randi's is the way to go.

I see that this is your first set of posts - so I am wondering WHY you felt the need to make these your first ones? Sounds a little fishy to me IMHO.

Sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't state your opinion on this website. To me it sounds fishy when someone is so defensive about another person's opinion. Just because everything was great for you doesn't mean that another person couldn't have had a different experience.

And why is this my first posting...because I have only been on 2 cruises and didn't know about this site before.

All opinions are welcome on this message board as long as they are not harassing, disruptive etc. Very often when there is one negative post about a tour operator others who have found the experience more to their liking do get a bit defensive BUT you are entitled to your opinion!

Actually - my only concern was that your first post on these boards was to complain about a tour operator. Most of the time, first posts are questions or actual reviews which cover their entire cruise. When I found this board, I certainly wouldn't have been so quick to complain. It was just an observation on my point.

Once you get around on these boards more, you will realize that there are these people that "troll" and start threads or post just to stir things up. It is unfortunate, but not uncommon. So, you will see that when a new person's first post was to complain, it raises red flags as to what their intentions are.

Sorry that you did not find Randi' to be what you expected. Her excursion has been the highlight of so many traveler's vacations, including ours.

Randi loves her horses - she has been around them all her life. She would never neglect them. I am sorry you didn't have a great time - everybody I guess can have an off day and maybe her schedule was really out of control that day. But I think everyone who enjoys what Randi has to offer also gets to visit a primitive part of Mazatlan. The bathroom was not modern. Victor's is not modern. But we got to know "the lovely Maria, Tony, Chris (and all the others). The day we were there Randi was showing off a newborn colt - she was so proud. They are dirt poor there but they are happy and they love what they do. My daughter and another couple's daughter lost their S&S card along the ride on the beach and Tony went back and found both of them. That is what all us "supporters" love about this tour. Not the fanciest. We just made some good friends in another Country and they welcome us back every time we go. And we can't wait to go.

Man! I cannot make up my mind...can I do both I wonder? I really want to take my 2 girls (12 & 18) to Randi's, although I am a bit scared I am willing to go if I dont have to gallop! But...I also want to check out "Mazatlan Frank". We will be in Mazatlan from "8am to 5:30" Will I have time to do both? Anyone done that?

Man! I cannot make up my mind...can I do both I wonder? I really want to take my 2 girls (12 & 18) to Randi's, although I am a bit scared I am willing to go if I dont have to gallop! But...I also want to check out "Mazatlan Frank". We will be in Mazatlan from "8am to 5:30" Will I have time to do both? Anyone done that?

I don't know if you would have time to do both tours - Randi's usually finishes up by about 2:00. We did Randi's, and when we got off our water taxi and onto one of those open trucks to go back to the ship, my hubby asked how much for a quick 1 hour tour of Mazatlan. The driver said $5 each. All of us in the truck decided to go for it (there were 8 of us) and he drove us through old Mazatlan, by the cliff divers, up to a point where you can see all around Mazatlan, to an old cathedral etc...

If you would like to see pictures, click my link below and choose the Mazatlan album - for $5 each, we got to see a lot of Mazatlan in a short time! :)

Opps - I was wrong! My bad! I forgot that they know each other well and can co-ordinate their tours when someone wants to do both! So apparently you would have time to do Randi's and Mazatlan Frank! I would contact both Randi or Mazatlan Frank and find out if they can accomodate you on the date you will be in Mazatlan! Good Luck! ;)

Yes - it can be done. You need to check with both to see if it can be done on the day you are there... I think alot depends on what Frank has going on for his booked tour that day. We will be doing this in January. You will need to know what you want to eat at Victor's because they will start cooking your meal when they see you heading down the beach. The rest of the riders will then think you are VERY special because your food will come first! Probably while they are still ordering! ;) Then Randi or her staff will get you back into a water taxi and Frank will meet you on the other side and you join the 2nd half of his tour. They both talk constantly throughout the exchange so that you never feel uncomfortable. I can't WAIT!!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry, folks. I have another question. What is the best way to reserve a tour with Randi? I tried calling the number on her website, but I got an answering machine in Spanish, and I'm afraid I don't speak Spanish. Is there a good time to call? Or should I book through email? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

We have booked Randi's :) thru her e-mail on her web site. She has always responded quickly.. We have already booked with her for our 12/1/06 cruise. She does not collect the money until after the horse ride. She pays for open air taxi ride, water taxi ride to Stone Island, tractor taxi ride, and return. Randi will meet you at Victor's ( on the beach :) ) after the ride. She will first meet you at the ships docking area. You take free shuttle from ship to the Village type ''Square.'' It is there in the square that she and or her helper find you by holding up cute PINK signs. She takes cash only and likes small bills. We also bring small bills for tips along the way. But nobody has there hand out. Lunch at Victor's (not included)was simply the best. Fun to be had by all.:D

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds great!! I knew nothing about taking a second tour. I am too cruising in Jan (20th), one of the guys is getting a group together online and I said sure. I was hoping to swim in the water with the horses, but Randi said the ocean is too rough. I am glad you guys had such good reports. I took a trip in St Maartan that was the worst!! Do not ride there. I am going to ask for a whimpy horse. I have riden since I was a child, but not often. I have back issues and anything above a walk or a liitle trotting would just do me in. Again thanks for all the advice! Anyone sailing with me?

Archived