More Vancouver Hotel Questions

grannynanny

I still haven't had luck with Priceline for 2 rooms. Will keep trying, but can't bid more than $90.00 per room.

My question is, of these 3 hotels, which would you recommend. We are sailing out of Ballyntine so Canada Place isn't that important. We are not renting a care for the 3 nights in Vancouver. The hotels are:

1. Rennaisane Vancouver Harbor

2. Best Western Sands

3. Blue Horizon

Thanks, Nancy

We've booked a two bedroom apartment at the Times Square Suites for much less than $180. You might want to check into that and know exactly what you are getting. Though I've never stayed there, it gets excellent reviews on tripadvisor. Be advised that the prices shown on the hotel's website are in Canadian dollars so the American equivalent will be less.

Grouchy, first I want to thank you for all you help to all of us on the Alaska boards. I've read all your replys and think it's great how helpful you are to everyone, I've learned a lot from you posts. So, I will ask you, what do you think of the Times Square Suites? Location, etc. The problem I have, is that there will be myself, husband, daughter (37) and granddaughter (13). Although I know the Renaissance would be a good choice, we would really rathr have our own room.

Thanks, Nancy

Like I said above, we've booked at the Times Square Suites. It is listed as the #2 choice out of 110 hotels in Vancouver on tripadvisor; HOWEVER, no one here seems to have ever heard of it!!! How can that be? Because of the odd configuration of our travelling party, my dh and dd (12) will be with my adult SIL, the two bedrooms seemed ideal for us. We really didn't want the SIL to have to pay for her own room yet everyone wants the privacy. This way we'll have a bedroom, she'll have a bedroom, and my dd sleeps on the sofa bed in the living room. It seems to be in a good location or at least the reviews say it is. But what do I know, I've never been to Vancouver. So now I'm worried because all you Vancouverites don't know anything about it....

I am also a Vancouverite who had never heard of "Times Square Suites" so I did a search on it. It turns out I thought those were condos or apartments and didn't realize it was hotel/suites. It is in a very nice area of the West End (near Stanley Park) at the corner of Robson and Denman Streets. This complex is not that old and has stores and a coffee shop at street level. Very safe and easy access to everything.

As to the Best Western Downtown --- there are several Best Westerns in the downtown area --- if it's the one on Drake St @ Granville that is not in the best area of town and can be rowdy at night from various other local pubs in the vicinity. If I was going to recommend a Best Western to someone for Vancouver, I think I would point them to the BW "Sands by the Sea" location instead on Davie St, near Denman and English Bay. That's strictly from a location standpoint and not from seeing inside either of those hotels.

I don't think I'd personally want to stay this year at the Rennaisance Harbour / Pan Pacific or anything too close to Canada Place, as the constant noise from the pile driving (new convention centre/pier etc...being built for the upcoming 2010 Olympics) would really get on my nerves. There are going to be some mighty unhappy campers staying in some expensive hotel accomodations.

Hope that helps some and doesn't add to confusion....... :)

Dave

for definately adding to the confusion. So, you are saying the Renaissance will be noisy? Don't think we want 3 nights of that. So, are you saying the Times Square Suites are ok? If you were given the 2 choice, Tiems Sq. or Best Western Sandman, as far a location and sightseeing wiht having a car, which would you recommend? Whick one would we be more accessible to the trolly, etc?

Thanks (I think) for yor help,

Nancy

I just hung up with the Times Square Suites...they have a 1 bedroom + den availabale for our dates. They said they are about 10 years old, on Robon and Denman. The price is right, but there is no a/c in the LR or den, just the Bedroom, but they said there are windows in all rooms, and that it cools down at night in Vancouver, is that true? Also said it is VERY safe to walk from there down Robson St. anytime of day or night, again, is this true?

Again, given choice fo location, Times Sq. Suites or Best Western Sands??

Thanks again to Dave, and anyone else who lives in Vancouver.

Nancy

Don't worry about air conditioning. Not many of us who live here have it in homes. It always cools down nicely at night in the summer even if it's very warm during the day. :)

You are VERY safe walking around at any time of night or day in that location or at the Best Western Sands. They are only about 8 blocks apart. Both on bus line and walking to many things. BW Sands is on Davie St near Denman, whereas Times Square Suites is on Robson and Denman Sts.

I'd go for the Times Square Suites for it's bigger size, newer structure and closer to proximity to Stanley Park attractions myself ... but you can't go wrong with either.

Whichever hotel you decide upon enjoy our city and your Alaska cruise. Be sure to check out tourism Vancouver website for local activities:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/

Dave

We've booked a two bedroom apartment at the Times Square Suites for much less than $180. You might want to check into that and know exactly what you are getting. Though I've never stayed there, it gets excellent reviews on tripadvisor. Be advised that the prices shown on the hotel's website are in Canadian dollars so the American equivalent will be less.

Thanks to reading your post, I too, have booked the Times Square Suites. I was thrilled to get the 2 bedroom large suite! :)

Dave, living in So. Florida, it's difficult to imagine not needing A/C in the summer. I suppose you don't have the humity we have here. What would you say is the average night temps for mid-June?

jrmende63, from your signature, I believe you will be in Vancouver in May, would love to hear your experience with Times Square. I wish we could have gotten the 2 bedroom, but not available for our dates.

ncamy, thank you for posting info on the Times Sq. Suites, when will you be there?

I now have reservations at 3 places, Renaissance, Times Sq. and BW Sands.

The positive of BW is I will get AA miles for my stay, there are 2 queen beds in room, Renaissance, price from Entertainment book, Tims Sq., the privacy of having our own room. I guess I will have to make a decision before June 10th, so I'm hoping to get some more feedback on all 3 hotesl before then.

Nancy

Dave, living in So. Florida, it's difficult to imagine not needing A/C in the summer. I suppose you don't have the humity we have here. What would you say is the average night temps for mid-June?

Nancy

LOL -- Yes, Vancouver's climate is very different from Florida's, that's for sure... Our's is more similar to Seattle's.

In June for an average high temp you'd be looking around 20 degrees Celcius (which for non-metric folks would be around 70 degrees Fahrenheit before you ask ;) ); and average lows would be around 12 C. (about 55 F.) - as you can see not exactly AC weather. It gets warmer in July and August, but thankfully it's never uncomfortable at nights.

Dave

You really know how to confuse an already confused person LOL! I thought I made up my mind for the Time Square Suites, and then BAM, you hit me with the Renaissance posting. Does your post have to do with the advantage of saialing from Canada Place, because we are sailing from Ballyntine Pier. Or, is it just more convenient to "everything".

Nancy

LOL -- Yes, Vancouver's climate is very different from Florida's, that's for sure... Our's is more similar to Seattle's.

In June for an average high temp you'd be looking around 20 degrees Celcius (which for non-metric folks would be around 70 degrees Fahrenheit before you ask ;) ); and average lows would be around 12 C. (about 55 F.) - as you can see not exactly AC weather. It gets warmer in July and August, but thankfully it's never uncomfortable at nights.

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the info. What's the average temperatures in mid July?

Hey Dave, thanks for the info. What's the average temperatures in mid July?

You can count on a few degrees warmer than June.

Check out the following sites for weather in Vancouver:

http://www.bcpassport.com/vital/temp.html

http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/AboutBC/ClimateWeather/BritishColumbia.htm

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=BC

plus you can find various other links about Vancouver through the city's own website:

http://city.vancouver.bc.ca/visitors.htm

Enjoy your stay!

Dave

If you want information about the construction in downtown Vancouver you can find it at

www.vccep.bc.ca..

We are booked at the Renaissence for May 28 which is on a Sunday and according to what I read there is no construction done on Sundays and Holidays and the construction is from March 31,2006-May 31,2006 Mon.-Fri 7:30 am-8:00 pm Sat.10:00 am-8.00pm Sun. and Holidays no. Hope this will help in your decisions on the Renaissence and other area Hotels

emmylou

I depend heavily on tripadvisor and usually they are not off the mark. My family will be in Vancouver Friday and Saturday night prior to our July 2 sailing. We also are not leaving from Canada Place. The west end location of the Times Square suited us because of our interest in Stanley Park and the restaurants in that area. Our one way car rental is from Avis out of Seattle, and we're dropping the car off not too far from the suites.

The TS Suites looks great & I'm getting in touch w/our friends now. Will call the hotel tomorrow [actually today now!] I couldn't see a thing about bath rms. Does anyone know if there's more than the 1 full bath? Does the online price incl their big taxes? $249 Cad for Sept. Is that less than $180 US or did you find a better site than I did? TIA. RCL Sutton PL was $258/rm incl transfers to pier when we booked & even more now.

"As to the Best Western Downtown --- there are several Best Westerns in the downtown area --- if it's the one on Drake St @ Granville that is not in the best area of town and can be rowdy at night from various other local pubs in the vicinity." ~ dam1050

We are staying at the Holiday Inn on Howe Street, which is not far from the Best Western Downtown. How is it's location? I was under the assumption that it was safe to walk from there to all the attractions. I thought China Town was the only unsafe location after dark. :confused:

Archived