Tux?? rent or buy?

boomerSexyK

I was just wondering how many of the guys own/rent their tux and why they chose that route. We plan on sailing twice a year for the next while, so I was thinking of buying a tuxedo. I rented one last year from Cruisewear and it just didn't feel comfortable once I had it on. I'm 6'2" and what I call a retired football player - defense build. The biggest annoyance for me was the sleeves were too short.

I was just wondering how many of the guys own/rent their tux and why they chose that route. We plan on sailing twice a year for the next while, so I was thinking of buying a tuxedo. I rented one last year from Cruisewear and it just didn't feel comfortable once I had it on. I'm 6'2" and what I call a retired football player - defense build. The biggest annoyance for me was the sleeves were too short.

Boomer, I would suggest that you buy one. I have rented one before and felt the same way. Plus I wanted to have my own. I got a great deal on a Silverstone (Arnold Brandt) at Sierratradingpost.com. Take a look. Either way, since you will more than pay for your own by renting.......buy your own! There are great deals everywhere. You can even google discount tuxedos. Good luck and happy cruising!:D

My DH has his own Tux & always takes it with him..He belongs to a Barbershop Chorus which also uses them, so he's able to kill 2 birds with one stone..As you state what is good about having your own is the fit..He is also 6'2" & it's very hard with a 36" sleeve length & 34-35 inseam to get a good fit with a rental..Another nice thing is you can purchase different accessories for different looks instead of the same black tie/cummerbund look..Our next cruise has 6 Formal nights so we are able to take 3 different sets of accessories for his Tux..

Years ago Sears had them for sale around $100-150..Many Formal wear places are willing to do measurements for you if you decide to order on-line..Some of them even sell used Tux's..

Good luck in your quest to get a perfect fit & enjoy your cruising..:)

Here's another vote for purchasing your own. While it's nice to not have to pack one to take, it really makes economic sense (and comfort sense as well) to buy your own. I purchased mine on a major online auction site. I paid about the same cost as one rental, and it was new with tags. I love it and it fits!

Bet you could get the accessories at an auction site too. You might be able to find some you could mix and match. I would be most concerned with the shirts fitting properly and being comfortable fabric. I think I got Greg's shirts at Macy's on closeout and I know I didn't pay more than $20 ea.

Hi, we were recently on a cruise and the man of the other couple had rented his tux. The shirt cuffs were almost threadbare and the sleeve lengths were not adequate for him. He was quite disappointed with this rental.

My husband rented on our first cruise and then purchased one on a sale at Mr. Formal--a tux rental chain, so he would have his own. These places usually have semi-annual sales. He packs it in a folding garment bag (American Tourister, I think,) and it "flew" to the Orient with not a wrinkle. He has two shirts which he sends out before we leave, packs them folded and they look fine--the front is really all you see.

In some ways it is a hassle to bring a tux, but he feels more comfortable in one that he knows, for sure, will fit and look good. hmh

I just brought my new, on-line purchased tuxedo to the tailor to hem the pants and shorten the sleeves a bit for our Ryndam Alaskan cruise in a few weeks. It feels, and looks, great! You won't be disappointed to own your own. Don't forget to buy the formal shoes as well as some fun accessories- I'll bring my cardinal/gold bow tie as well as a hawaiian print one for the two formal nights.:)

I own my tux, bought it several years ago. It's a standard tux, very traditional, so it hasn't gone out of style. It's also nice that my weight hasn't changed much in 20 years. :D Now, I have a good friend here on the boards who will probably pop in and say that he rents his to save space in his luggage which also makes good sense.

DH owns his tuxedo. Before we retired he had to use his through work obligations - got a lot of wear out of it.

Think of it this way - if you do intend to cruise at 2 times a year, on 7 day voyages - 2 formal nights - that could be 4 times to wear the tux. Cruises longer than that - 3 formal nights.

With your build, you would be wise to get a custom made one and then you will feel comfortable all evening and the sleeves won't be too short.

Bet you could get the accessories at an auction site too.
You certainly can ... and I did. Several rental places put shirts on after being rented for a while. They're still in great shape and some good bargains can be found.

Bro-in-law, of average height and weight, rents a tux, and has been satisfied.

I bought my own - I am long and lean, and wanted to insure that it fit properly, plus, three rentals and you could have bought your own.

Boomer I am a big guy not in hight I am 5 10 and I weigh 260lbs so a tux rental is a problem for me. So a couple of years ago I bought a tux from a local tailor he took it apart and fit it to me exactly. Then I went on line for different Studs and cufflinks also a different bow tie. This year what I did was go on line and bought a new vest (red) and tie to match this way I have 2 different looks for the 2 foraml nights.:)

I hope all this advice helps

I brought mine about four years ago in Vancouver, made in France at the cost of $99.99, Canadian. There was a good selection, and while I also have long arms, mine was, and still is a perfect fit. In my little neck of the woods I have never had any use for a regular suit, so, go and see what you can find. Good luck. john

My DH bought one at one of the annual used tux sales locally about 10 years ago. They did all the alterations for him free. Every other year or so he buys a new vest or cumberbund. Three years ago for a family cruise, all the guys bought matching "fishing design" formal vests to go with their tuxes. They looked great and were fun conversation starters.

You can always buy add on pieces to update, and although packing can be a pain with the new bag weight restrictions, there are no worries about "will it show up?" or "will it fit?"

Absolutely buy your own! After a couple of cruises it's paid for and you have a good fit. I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs and had no problem getting a good fit (with minor tailoring) at a local men's store. I also bought 2 vests (black and white) and 2 ties (black and white) which gives a lot of versatility and can completely change the look. I also have the cummerbun but I much prefer a vest as I don't have to worry about it "riding" on me.

Try going to JCPenny if you have a larger one around. We bought my husband a lightweight wool tux there a year or so ago for a cruise, and since he has it, have been able to use it many times. We got it on sale for about $70 - they sell the jackets and pants separately so getting both pieces to fit was easy without any tailoring. It was a great deal.

Most certainly, buy your own. You’ll save money in the long run and you’ll have to cruise more to justify the expense! I purchased one on the web at CheapTux.com four years ago and I’ve already saved about $200 compared to rentals. Be sure to get one with an adjustable waistband: Absolutely essential for cruisers!:D

Hey now you boys are going to out shop us girls on the net. When you get your accessorizing down on that Big Black Tux please make sure it will match our little black dress! (fishing lures for earrings?) Not to mention a big trawling lure for a broach. OMG! What to put in my up-do? Shrimp? lobster?

GREAT!!...thanx everyone..)) The poll seems to lean a little towards a buy your own (100%). And thanx for the tip about accessorizing online, I'll definitely follow-thru with that. I guess SexyK will have get a new string of pearls ..... just to keep the shopping account in balance

If you have a Value City near you, they carry a very basic light wool tux - purchase jacket and pants separately - for less than $100. Some of their shirts include bow tie, cumberbund, cuff links and studs. Makes a great basic start. DH has added some different shirts and cumberbunds and a vest over the years. Doesn't take up any more room than a suit would. And sure looks a lot spiffier!

Of course, the fact that his young granddaughter thinks he looks wonderful in it has a big effect on him, too.

Last year we bought DS a tux as a cruise and prom were both coming up at a local discount store Syms - I think they are in several locations on the East Coast. We got a great buy $129 and while there I picked up a white dinner jacket too for under $100 so he can mix and match it up.

DH was so impressed he got a tux too.

After all this tux buying my dad sent all his vintage mother of pearl studs and cuff link my boys to top off their outfits.

Little did we know at that time we would plan a big family cruise to Europe this summer - my minds starts working over time. If DH and DS are in tuxes maybe DF would feel out of place in just a suit, so I bought him a tux for Christmas and found vintage studs and cuff links on ebay to complete the look. The day we picked it up for the taylor he looks so pleased with himself. The last tux he had purchased was in the mid-60s and DS wore it a few times until he out grew it.

We got all three tuxes for under $500.

Boomer-go with buying the tux. Cruising is too much fun to worry about fit problems! Several on line tux places offer packages of various kinds including a 'standard' dark tux with a white dinner jacket-depending on your luggage situation and length of cruise that can be nice to have.

Mike

Yes, Yes, Yes. To chime in with all the others. It's all about fit. When you buy and have a tux tailored to your exact fit, you will feel 100% better wearing it (and you'll obviously look better as well). I bought a second shirt so that I have one white and one ivory and I have a second set of shirt studs and cufflinks in Baltic amber to wear with the ivory shirt. Same tux, but provides two different formal looks each cruise.

Archived