Tux?? rent or buy?

boomerSexyK

Boomer, I would suggest that you buy one. I have rented one before and felt the same way. Plus I wanted to have my own. I got a great deal on a Silverstone (Arnold Brandt) at Sierratradingpost.com. Take a look. Either way, since you will more than pay for your own by renting.......buy your own! There are great deals everywhere. You can even google discount tuxedos. Good luck and happy cruising!:D

Hey on that Tux from STP, do the sleeve buttons have "fake" non-working button holes? A lot of Arnold Brandt suits do, I could not tell from the picture on STP's website and they did not answer my e-mail.

Bought a tux online a couple of years ago from a well know e Tux company. Used it on ten cruises since and it looks like new. Picked up an Oscar de la Renta Tux, plus four shirts, vest, and all the accessories, for less than $400. I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs, so I wanted a light weight wool, custom fit tux and pants. Money well spent!:)

Good luck!

Kel

Hey on that Tux from STP, do the sleeve buttons have "fake" non-working button holes? A lot of Arnold Brandt suits do, I could not tell from the picture on STP's website and they did not answer my e-mail.

Yes they are fake button holes. I love this tux. I have worn it several times. The first time I was at an event and I had a lady comment that it was the nicest tux she has ever seen. :cool:

Yes they are fake button holes. I love this tux. I have worn it several times. The first time I was at an event and I had a lady comment that it was the nicest tux she has ever seen. :cool:

By the time I read your response, the last of the 42R's were gone! I'll wait and see if the 2 button model drops to the same price.

:)

Definitely buy. You can go on-line and find very servicable tux packages (tux, shirt, tie, studs and cummerbund) for $100-150. You will find they will work with you to be sure you get the correct size (not always possible with rentals) and you will amoritize the rental you would have paid in two or three uses.

• 1 month later...

I am in the minority. I choose to rent. I don't have to worry about carrying a garment bag on the plane or the dry cleaning. It makes it so I can have all of our luggage as carry on.

I definitely recommend buying. I've owned my own for 7 years and have never regretted buying.

Now, thanks to my weight loss and exercise regimen, my tuxedo no longer fits me and, as the months pass between now and my next cruise, I will lose enough weight to make it impossible for me to have my old tux cut down to fit me. So ... time to buy new! Or, it will be come September 1. I'll be buying a new black Tuxedo and a new White dinner jacket. Right now I'm giving serious thought to getting a Mandarin style jacket that will fit well and look good over clerical collar, however I also like the look of a traditional 1 button Tuxedo. Perhaps I'll get both? :) I'll be cruising enough days between October 2006 and June 2007 (right now I've got 47 days booked and another 11 in planning) to merit both a Mandarin style Tux and a traditional Tux!

I just returned from Alaska on the Oosterdam and I rented my tux. I have always rented, but not any more. For one thing, they never seem to get my measurements correct ( sleeves are always too long). But on this cruise I noticed that the tux they provided me looked as if it was "on it's last legs". It was very worn looking, especially around the pants pockets and the coat coller. I'm now looking for the best sale I can find.

Richard

I like Rev’s rationale of relating the need to purchase a tuxedo and/or accessories to the number of days of future cruising. I used this same rationale to purchase a rather wild vest for my formal outfit at the Tjapkai Cultural Center in Cairns on a recent land tour to Australia.

I purchased mine before my first cruise and every cruise after that I would buy something else - a new vest, new cufflinks, a white dinner jacket, new bowtie...

...so now I really don't need anything else - and I'm still mixing around combos that I haven't worn before!

Packing is easy - the tux and accessories are the first things to go into the garment bag - It's the rest of the stuff that drives me crazy!;)

Like the other gentlemen - I do alot of my tux buying online: Smartbargains, eBay, Jos Banks, Land's End, etc...

Last year we bought DS a tux as a cruise and prom were both coming up at a local discount store Syms - I think they are in several locations on the East Coast. We got a great buy $129 and while there I picked up a white dinner jacket too for under $100 so he can mix and match it up.

This is exactly the store I would recommend. There is one located in Buffalo next to Eastern Hills Mall in Williamsville. The last time I was there it was some type of sale and there were even wool tuxedos for $49.00! The selection was overwhelming and they had sizes for every fit ( athletic, tall, portly etc.) as well as an on- site tailer. My DH had his Tux but we went there to 'spruce it up'. Bill Blass vest for $29, beautiful cotton shirt (on sale) for $22.

If you have never been, take a day, or a weekend and have some great American beer and the one and only Buffalo chicken wings. (And I'll even give you some recommendations of those as well!!) :D

Even though we were doing some travelling after our cruise, my DH still wanted to take his Tux. Have to admit, I do like a man in a ....TUX. ;)

Now, thanks to my weight loss and exercise regimen, my tuxedo no longer fits me and, as the months pass between now and my next cruise, I will lose enough weight to make it impossible for me to have my old tux cut down to fit me. So ... time to buy new!

Greg - How wonderful for you! You must feel fantastic.

Time to go shopping - that's a great "problem" to have. Keep up the good work & we'll see your new self in January. :)

Think I can sweet-talk John into buying a tux? He's such a big guy I just don't know about buying one on-line. The local alterations would cost a fortune!

Think I can sweet-talk John into buying a tux? He's such a big guy I just don't know about buying one on-line. The local alterations would cost a fortune!

Alterations arent that much - probably @ $100 for every little thing adjusted (sleeves, cuffs, waist, jacket body, collar...)

:)

Obriendan ... wow...quite the fashion statement!!!

Marbella.... thx for the info about Syms in Buffalo, will check it out. By the way the Anchor Bar in Buffalo is the best for wings..))

I agree! It is far more economical to purchase, but when one has to lug extra clothing long distances it is very tempting to rent? Does anybody know if HAL has an on-board rental scheme?

Marbella.... thx for the info about Syms in Buffalo, will check it out. By the way the Anchor Bar in Buffalo is the best for wings..))

I agree, the ARE good! You might also try Brennans in Williamsville--they're very close to Syms and another favourite is Apple Granny's in Lewiston.

How else do you think I convinced my DH to go shopping for the day?!! ;)

Archived