Conquest dining room attire (What I saw)

aggie182

At what price $$$ does regular jeans become "designer" jeans? Do they have the name tag sewn on the back so everyone can appreciate that they are designer jeans and are therefore special?

If you wear "designer" jeans does the designer pay the wearer for the advertising?

I wear jeans to cut my grass and paint the house, not go out to dinner.

I should have said "dressy" jeans not designer. Actually, the faded ripped up jeans can be very expensive - they're just not very nice looking. I personally don't wear jeans in the dining room, nor do I allow my teenager to wear them. I think it's one of those occasions you can use to help teach your children that certain circumstances call for dressing up a bit and using your best manners. But really I have no objection to them worn with a nice top if others want to wear them. I think the ripped up ones are tacky, and I think it's more than a bit tacky to wear them on formal night - dressy or not. That's just my opinion but truthfully, it won't ruin my dinner (or cruise for that matter) if someone wears jeans or even shorts. ;)

I think it's one of those occasions you can use to help teach your children that certain circumstances call for dressing up a bit and using your best manners.

This is so true! I'm a Chili's type of gal myself but my parents like those super fancy expensive restaurants. It's cute because whenever I get myself and my daughter dressed up (in our house jeans - no matter how expensive - are not dress up) and say we are going to dinner with Granny and PopPop she says "Oh, it's a fancy restaurant". She can tell by what she is wearing. Then we get to the place and I tell her to put her napkin on her lap and she says "Oh, this is a REALLY fancy restaurant." She is 5 and knows what is appropriate for different situations. It's never too early to teach them! :D

Oh boy, now I'm really confused. Are "dressy" jeans ones with rhinestones or are they new ones being worn for the first time?

Along those lines, I often see the term "dressy" top. What is that all about?

Help, I'm also trying to understand "capris", pants that don't go all the way down.

Oh boy, now I'm really confused. Are "dressy" jeans ones with rhinestones or are they new ones being worn for the first time?

Along those lines, I often see the term "dressy" top. What is that all about?

Help, I'm also trying to understand "capris", pants that don't go all the way down.

Denim is denim is denim is denim :D I have jeans that cost a pretty penny, they are STILL jeans... the price tag or label doesn't change what they are :D

Was on Conquest last week. Apr 16-23.

Shorts in the dinig room?? Yep, saw it.

Jeans in the dining room?? Yep.

Jean shorts in the dining room?? Yep

Jeans on a formal night?? Saw it.

Now you may say, 'Duh, we've all seen and discussed this to death on here'. And you're right.

Now for the one that takes the cake.....

Bathrobes in the dining room?? Yep, on the last night, about 6-8 older folks (not real old, maybe 50s or so) came in to the dining room in their bathrobes. They shook Freddy's (the head maitre'd) hand and walked in to their table. Our servers (Melena and Plamen) said they couldn't believe he let them in. Only thing I can figure is that they handed good ole Freddy a tip envelope stuffed with some $$. Who knows. To me, it doesn't bother me one way or the other as to what people wear, but it was shocking to see this.

Seems like a fair, accurate, and impartial report on reality.

You will see lots of togas on Parrothead cruises.

Denim is denim is denim is denim :D I have jeans that cost a pretty penny, they are STILL jeans... the price tag or label doesn't change what they are :D

That's true, but some jeans look nicer than others. And when worn with a nice top they can even look a bit on the dressy side. As I said before, we don't do it, but I'm not going to get my panties in a ruffle if someone else does! ;)

That's true, but some jeans look nicer than others. And when worn with a nice top they can even look a bit on the dressy side. As I said before, we don't do it, but I'm not going to get my panties in a ruffle if someone else does! ;)

It bears repeating... panties??? :p:p:p

Denim is denim is denim is denim :D I

Some people may view it that way, I surely don't. Of course I'm the dumb one who is willing to drop a couple hundred on a pair of jeans.

As for people wearing the torn (destroyed) jeans to the dining room, I believe that is out of the question. At the most, they should only be slightly distressed.

And of course jeans on formal night are out of the question.

Just goes to show that each cruise is different. We were in the Renoir Dining Room on our Feb. 26-March 5 cruise on the Conquest and never saw shorts in the dining room either on formal or casual nights. We did see jeans on casual nights on young teenage girls. Because of all these threads recently, I deliberately looked at what everyone was wearing. I really expected to see tons of jeans on casual nights and maybe formal nights but, surprisingly, even on casual nights, everyone was dressed nicely. Most women wore church-type dresses with a smattering of pants. I never saw shorts (or bathrobes) ever. But, that was only one cruise and, of course, each cruise is different. TG23

First of all, let me say that the OP's experience was a clear sign of what is happening to cruising - and apparently to society in general - and I find it a huge turn off. Cruising used to be my preferred mode of travel, but no more.

While some of you have no problem sitting in a formal dining room with folks dressed in robes, shorts, tanks and ball caps, I think it is appallling. It shows a total lack of class. Ripped and torn jeans are right up there in my book.

What I find so interesting is that there are both casual and formal dining venues on most ships these days. These folks who are dressed like slobs apparently want the service and ambience of the formal dining experience without dressing appropriately for those restaurants. They want their cake and to eat it too. Casual dining is not good enough for them, but casual (IMO robes, ball caps and tank tops do not even qualify as casual, they are in the lets-do-yard-work category) dress in the formal dining room is supposed to be just fine with the ship's staff and fellow passengers. Seems ignorant and immature to me!

It is also crass to bring Windjammer food into the main dining room. What is wrong with people? How insulting to the staff and culinary crew!

Really, how much worse can it get?

Caviargal:

Hope I don't get flamed but I agree with your post. It must be our age. I love a pulled together look, it does not have to be expensive. I have seen some great looks from Walmart clothes....thought and co ordination put into the clothing selection. I love fine china and linens. I get laughed at when I spend time putting together an inviting table for special occassions dinners. Just my opinion but ...... I enjoy having dinner in the smaller dining areas on cruises even if I have to pay extra. I quess I'm a dinosaur.

Do nudist cruises have a formal night dress code:eek:

It's all in the accessories ;) !

Another "moved over here" thread.

My last short cruise on RCCL, not Carnival, I did notice a lot of jeans and a lot of weird interpretations of formal. Just because you see someone do it does not make it the best idea. Why not put your best foot forward and make an attempt to look nice? They certainly make an effort to make the dining room look elegant.

The people who brought trays to the dining room from the buffet, well, you can just tell they aren't capable of enjoying sophisticated dining. I do wonder why they didn't just stay in the buffet, there's nothing wrong with that.

I have a question, do you think those people with bathrobes did it as a rebillion to the formal night thing. I am in no way condoning the behavior or saying that it is correct or anything, but do you think it could be a backlash or rebellion to formal attire. I know Ive seen teens in pjs that for some reason they think is the fashion but adults I have not seen as yet, and am just wondering if they did it to make a point. Still not right, but just curious as to others thoughts

While some of you have no problem sitting in a formal dining room with folks dressed in robes, shorts, tanks and ball caps, I think it is appallling. It shows a total lack of class. Ripped and torn jeans are right up there in my book.

What I find so interesting is that there are both casual and formal dining venues on most ships these days. These folks who are dressed like slobs apparently want the service and ambience of the formal dining experience without dressing appropriately for those restaurants. They want their cake and to eat it too. Casual dining is not good enough for them, but casual (IMO robes, ball caps and tank tops do not even qualify as casual, they are in the lets-do-yard-work category) dress in the formal dining room is supposed to be just fine with the ship's staff and fellow passengers. Seems ignorant and immature to me!

Very well said!

I have a question, do you think those people with bathrobes did it as a rebillion to the formal night thing. I am in no way condoning the behavior or saying that it is correct or anything, but do you think it could be a backlash or rebellion to formal attire. I know Ive seen teens in pjs that for some reason they think is the fashion but adults I have not seen as yet, and am just wondering if they did it to make a point. Still not right, but just curious as to others thoughts

Hi MrsMoose, personally I do not thank that is the case. If it was one person maybe that could be a possibility - just doing it to incite a reaction - but for a group of ADULTS to dress in robes for a formal dining room would be the equivalent of going to a nice restaurant IMO. Frankly, I cannot even imagine it!

And I will never understand why, wiith all of the vacation options available to those for whom formal wear or proper dress is the equivalent of medieval torture, they simply do not choose another type of vacation or a cruise line that allows casual dress (although I would doubt that robes are on the list of any cruise line as being proper attire!).

I just find it personally distressing that some folks have so little respect for themselves and others.

The only impression they would have made on me is to think they were all

Never been on a cruise, but my husband and I are thoroughly looking forward to the formal dining. We dont' go out to very nice places very often (especially since we are saving for a cruise) and dressing up and eating multiple courses of food that maybe we've never had before sounds wonderful and relaxing. I do think it's a little sad that others don't enjoy it....but that's there perrogative. That said, you know you're expected to dress up a little, so why go on a cruise where you know you'll be asked to dress up if you don't like it? I know there are more casual cruises---we said no to one becasue we wanted something a little more formal. And why go to the "formal" dining room instead of room service if you hate dressing up that much.

That said, I'm sure DH and I will be tired and might not want to go to the dining room EVERY night....but even before we've stepped a foot on the ship, we are aware of the alternatives.

When I read the original post my thoughts about the bathrobe group were as follows:

They were a group of people who either knew each other or met and made friends on the cruise.

They probably had a good time at the bar that day since it was the last day of the cruise which is a sea day.

They were having a good time, being silly on the last night.

They didn't realize the seriousness of the dining room on the last night and how wearing bathrobes would be horribly wrong and inappropriate.

If that had happened on my cruise I would probably look at it as an uncommon event and a group just being silly, which sometimes happens no matter where you are.

My only thought on this is; I think they are trying to be the center of attention. A whole table shows up in bathrobes, yeah that's what they're doing. I guess if everybody ignored them they'd be upset, good. As far as jeans & cut-offs go, we don't even take them.

Hi MrsMoose, personally I do not thank that is the case. If it was one person maybe that could be a possibility - just doing it to incite a reaction - but for a group of ADULTS to dress in robes for a formal dining room would be the equivalent of going to a nice restaurant IMO. Frankly, I cannot even imagine it!

And I will never understand why, wiith all of the vacation options available to those for whom formal wear or proper dress is the equivalent of medieval torture, they simply do not choose another type of vacation or a cruise line that allows casual dress (although I would doubt that robes are on the list of any cruise line as being proper attire!).

I just find it personally distressing that some folks have so little respect for themselves and others.

The only impression they would have made on me is to think they were all

I cant imagine doing it either. Just sounded like they planned this on purpose or maybe I just read it wrong.

I agree with what you are saying. I was just wondering because it sounded to contrived and wondered on others thoughts

Archived