On Deck for the Cure

bellebaby

I saw that on the HAL web site. I just wish they had started it before I sailed on the Volendam. My sister, who is a 2 time breast cancer survivor and who sailed with us on the Volendam, would have loved to have taken part in it, along with the rest of her family. I think its a wonderful program and am very excited about HAL participating in this type of program. I look forward to hearing about it as well.

I have several family members and friends who are breast cancer survivors and I want to participate on our May 10 Volendam sailing. It appears to be a really good program. Maybe someone who is sailing this week will give us an update prior to my departure.

B

What a great idea on HAL's part. I am a breast cancer survivor and can't wait to try this program on my next cruise in January. Not only is it great exercise, but the money raised keeps people like me alive. I would love to hear from people who participated in it.

What a great idea on HAL's part. I will be checking for this next month on my Veendam cruise.

Some of our American friends may not realize that the Royal Canadian Mint has issued a special issue circulation collectible quarter (only the second coloured coin) this year to support the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

The coin features a pink ribbon at it's centre - the symbol of hope.

Pick up this 25-cent coin in your Canadian change while in Vancouver or Victoria on your Alaskan cruise this year, or ask for one at any Shoppers Drug Mart. Further info at:

http://www.mint.ca/bcc/en-CA/index.aspx

Dave

My wife, Pauline, is also a breast cancer survivor and we are looking forward to participating on our Alaska cruise aboard the Ryndam in a few weeks. I don't think the HAL website says anything about collecting pledges (ala the Revlon Breast Cancer Run/Walk here in LA) - it would be nice to have something official where friends and family could sign 7p and sponsor those who participate in this event. Gene

We sailed in February on the Ryndam 2 week out of Tampa and they had the 5K Breast Cancer walk they had it again in March on the Noordam out of NY. Participants received a tee shirt. I believe there was a sign up fee. It was announced in the daily programs..... (A survivor who knows!)

We just finished our 5k walk on April 25th. Participants (guests & crew) donated a minimum $15 and received a t-shirt and plastic wristband. The walk consisted of 12 laps around the lower promenade deck, and a final ascent to the lido deck where pink lemonade was waiting for us.

The participants on the Zaandam had a great experience and there was a definite positive energy in the air. The only drawback was that the walk took place at 8am following a night that jumped an hour forward - a lot of people had long tours in Costa Rica the day before.

The event was a complete success - no word on money raised yet, but everyone had a smile on their face.:) :) :)

Archived