Help with appropriate dress for dinner???

Dorie7

My daughter and I are going on a transatlantic cruise and are not well versed in what clothes would fit dress codes, especially the definition of smart casual. We want to pack to dress appropriately so as not to offend, so please help with your recommendations of the type of outfits that would be appropriate to bring for the different dress codes.

Thank you all for your help,

Dorie

I'll give you my opinion, and what I wear, but you also might want to try the Cruise Fashions board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

I have several very fancy pantsuits, and a few dresses, for formal. Formal night can be anywhere from floor length formals to a simple pair of evening slacks and a dressy top. Your choice.

I take a selection of "slinky knit" separates that include nice pants outfits with matching tops, plus a long black dress that I wear with the jackets. I also have a long slinky knit dress and jacket, and will wear the jacket with slacks. This allows several outfits with the same clothes.

So, think nice pants outfits, long skirts or dresses. Even on casual nights I wear one of these outfits. It's easier for packing, and I prefer to slightly overdress rather than underdress.

Wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant that serves a 5 course dinner, with linens and good silverware, and a waiter in a jacket or dinner jacket. Dress accordingly.

Just don't wear shorts, or t-shirts to dinner. Like the last poster said, whatever you would wear to a nice restaurant is quite appropriate for the ship's dining room. You didn't say how old your daughter is, but, unless she's a very small child, the same manner of dress will apply to her.

Don't be afraid to wear something twice, I bring black pants and a black floor length skirt and different tops. I have beaded tops with the black skirt for formal and casual for other nights. The rest are nice pant or capri outfits. And since I try to bring mostly black it limits the shoes I need. Good Luck!!!

You can find what RCCL considers proper at their website and in your tickets, when they arrive. Your T/A will also be able to guide you to these publications.

What are the dress codes onboard?

Just click the link…..

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

And you’ll find…..

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please don't stress out over how to dress. Really, anything except jeans and shorts are acceptable. You will see a wide range in the degrees of formality and casualness, so you really can't underdress. As another poster said, you can wear things twice, even the same formal outift, and no one will notice or care as long as you aren't wearing shorts/jeans, etc..

My daughter and I are going on a transatlantic cruise and are not well versed in what clothes would fit dress codes, especially the definition of smart casual. We want to pack to dress appropriately so as not to offend, so please help with your recommendations of the type of outfits that would be appropriate to bring for the different dress codes.

Thank you all for your help,

Dorie

For a longer cruise like yours that involves international travel and baggage allowances, I believe in packing around a couple of central colors, e.g., black and tan, black and white, etc. This cuts down on shoes and bags and also makes it easy to mix up looks.

I would pack two pairs of dressy black slacks and 5-6 different tops/twin sets, 2 pretty skirts (wrap, boho, etc), with tops and also a couple of dresses, along with two formal outfits. This will suit smart casual and casual, as well as be appropriate for the alternative restuarants. I have two formal dresses that are long, black jersey and pack like a dream.

I would limit my shoes for evening to three pair and shoes for daytime to 2 (not including shoes for the gym and pool).

We took a 15 day Hawaii cruise, and here's what we wore.

Casual: Dress slacks with high heel or boots, and twin sets. One Sundress

7 year old Daughter Casual: mostly plaid "school girl" skirts with coordinating tops.

Informal: Cocktail dresses

Daughter: church type dresses

Formal: 1 short all sequin goiwn, 1 long all sequin gown, and one gold silk gown with some beading on the boddice.

Daughter: 1 Ivory tea length satin and lace flower girl style dress, A mindnight blue satin and velvet tea lenths dress, and a Blue Taffeta and white lace tea length gown.

Just exampel, you wil see people who dress up more or less on each evening.

Archived