Why do we hate an item of fashion

I have a question ladies that I would be interested in hearing your opinions on.

When we say we hate an item of fashion, why do we really hate it.

I personally hate shorts for myself, always have as I was never comfortable in them regardless of my size. When I was a size 2 I still never liked them as I was not comfortable in them.

so my question is, when we say we hate i.e., capris, cropped, gauchos, heals, flats, a certain style top, bag etc etc etc, why do we hate it, because we are uncomfortable in it, the actual style, because we dont look good in it, because we think no one looks good in it, I mean what is our real reason for dislikeing an item.

Obviously some of the stuff is selling or they would not keep it around for so long a time like pedal pushers.

I believe for myself it is whether or not an item looks good and flatters my shape and in a close second would be the comfort issue. I can't stand gauchos. They were popular for a time when I was in grade school( am I dating myself?) I felt like they made my hips and thighs look really wide and my calves look like toothpicks. So if I don't like the way I look I'll not wear something no matter how popular. Secondly, if clothes are scratchy or itchy I won't wear them. I can't stand wool sweaters or some items made from rayme. Just my opinion.

For me, I "hate" a particular item if I don't think I can wear it well. For instance, capris were what I wore in the '50's and was rail thin and young. I don't like them on any woman--regardless of size--after a certain age. Handbags with charms or those strings hanging are not my style. I tend to be classic in dress and although I like some fads, not many. So I guess I'd have to say it depends on what I would wear, whether or not I liked or "hated" a certain item.;)

Esther

There's things I really don't like because of the way I look in them, but they may look great on someone else. The only things like that I really despise would be like the really long , baggy shorts/pants the kids wear with underwear being their focal point, how vulgar!! Or the girls with their thong hiked up in the back showing, ewwwww, nasty!! I mean, come on, what kind of message is that sending out????

I guess for myself, you notice I said for myself as long as another person is clean and uses some common sense I have no problem. Comfort is a big plus for me now that I'm older and have some health issues going on. I love capris and think I look just fine in them, trust me alot better than if I wore shorts, LOL !!:p I just don't like vulgar, tasteless stuff. Once again let me reitterate, this is IMHO.

To each his own, I am not the judge, Lord, and master by any means!!

Hate is such a strong word. While I do hate gaucho pants on anyone, it's been the first item of fashion I've hated in a long time. They are just so unflattering, to me. Even seeing them on skinny models or very young, skinny girls, they make them look like they have a big butt, wide hips and do nothing for the line of the leg. I now see it coming down (in the stores) to just a wider leg cropped pant. Better, but still not figure flattering.

I don't care for anything that is trendy, because it is so short lived. There is a difference between going with a trend versus being trendy. While trendy may look good on a select few, it usually is not for everyone. Going with a trend can make you look stylish and the article of clothing can last a couple of years, so an expensive piece can be a worthwhile investment.

Just recently the (now out of style) look of cropped tops, low cut jeans, looked absolutely horrid on so many young women. Unless you had an absolutely flat tummy and no bulge on the side, they looked bad, but almost every young woman wore them. In the 80's it was humongous shoulder pads, in the 90's it was spandex. Go through old photos, or watch old movies and you can see what I mean. A stylish trend that is more conservative could walk off the movie and look good today. A trendy outfit makes the person look silly. Instead of seeing the person in the picture, all you see is weird clothing and hair.

I just watched a movie the other day (I've been home sick :( ) called "Picture Perfect" starring Jennifer Aniston. The clothing she wore in the movie were the trend of the moment and just a few short years later, she looks ridiculous, I was embarrassed for her and I'm sure she cringes when she sees it.

When I say I hate something it's because I don't think it looks good on anyone or because I simply think it's an ugly item.

For example, I hate cropped/capri pants. I think they look terrible on everyone. Same for the ghetto look pants worn with the waistband around the knees.

However, if something doesn't look well on me, I'll express clearly that way. Doesn't mean that I dislike the item.

For example, I love the flat little skimmer shoes (they look adorable on you, MrsMoose) however, they just don't flatter me. So I'd never say I hate them. I like them, I just hate the way I look in them.

I do hate it when people don't express what they mean!:)

I think I tend to use "hate" when I'm overwhelmed at how many people shouldn't be wearing something but do anyway.

For instance, I don't hate tube tops, but there should probably bee some type of legal restriction:D .

Oh, and speaking of 80s fashion coming out....I can't stand bubble skirts. Not only because they never worked right on me, but because they are just unflattering on everybody.

Lets all just hope the trend of body suits with the legs coming up out of the jeans doesn't come back. But then again, I think the thong thing will take care of that .

hehe.

I really don't hate much when it comes to fashion; granted there are things that I'm not drawn to and there are things that I don't look good in. But...

I do hate cheap shoes. I do hate cheap eye glasses. I do hate cheap belts. I do hate cheap looking purses. I do hate cheap jewelry. I do hate cheap men :p. I hate cheap looking fabric/clothes. I hate any kind of cotton blend fabrics unless it's blended with silk. I hate cheap looking hair color. I hate bad hair cuts. I hate ill fitting clothes. I hate acrylic of any kind.

And I hate these things because I refuse to waste my money or I refuse to look bad. :) But hey thats just me. And I'm sure I could come up with more things that I don't like or hate but do I really have the time?

For me it is that certian styles bring back bad memories. Capris remind me of pedal pushers. Which I was forced to wear in hand-me-downs long after they went out of style because they were in perfect condition. (not after I climbed and then slid back down a few trees) or cropped pants remind me of the pants I used to have to wear after I grew a little tall to wear, but they still fit in other ways.

I think the word 'hate' is greatly misused today and I don't think there are many items of clothing I actually hate. But I do dislike many styles, usually because they are just plain ugly and not flattering to anyone. (Gauchos! Shoulder Pads! Huge jeans worn at half-mast! Spandex!)

If I'm being honest with myself it may be that I don't like some styles because they don't look good on me; sometimes it's hard to separate feelings from opinions.

Conversely, there are some styles I love but just can't wear. Although I've always been slim, I've never looked good in a bikini, but love the look on others. I love flip-flops but my feet look ridiculous in them. And etc.

I really don't hate much when it comes to fashion; granted there are things that I'm not drawn to and there are things that I don't look good in. But...

I do hate cheap shoes. I do hate cheap eye glasses. I do hate cheap belts. I do hate cheap looking purses. I do hate cheap jewelry. I do hate cheap men :p. I hate cheap looking fabric/clothes. I hate any kind of cotton blend fabrics unless it's blended with silk. I hate cheap looking hair color. I hate bad hair cuts. I hate ill fitting clothes. I hate acrylic of any kind.

And I hate these things because I refuse to waste my money or I refuse to look bad. :) But hey thats just me. And I'm sure I could come up with more things that I don't like or hate but do I really have the time?

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it is that certian styles bring back bad memories. Capris remind me of pedal pushers. Which I was forced to wear in hand-me-downs long after they went out of style because they were in perfect condition. (not after I climbed and then slid back down a few trees) or cropped pants remind me of the pants I used to have to wear after I grew a little tall to wear, but they still fit in other ways.

Me Too! My DSIL is always trying to get me to buy a pair of capris. I'll admit that I've tried on a pair of two but can't get past the bad childhood memories. DSIL was the oldest so I don't think she had the hand me down thing going on. I totally remember outgrowing pants and to save money, because they still fit everywhere else mom would not buy new ones. We all have those bad childhood memories that others just can't understand.

Thank you ladies, I really appreciate your opinions.

I agree the word hate can be overused or misused in my opinon.

I often say I hate shorts and high heals, but reading all of your posts, has made me see that I only hate them for myself. I don't hate them for others. Maybe me stop and think about how I write and speak.

I don't like certain items for anyone like very thigh clothing as I think no matter how good a body someone has, very tight clothing is just not nice.

I really loved reading all your responses, thanks so much.

I hate my body in some things. It's beyond dislike. I also have seen things on rail thin models that do not translate to real people. I don't hate the clothing as much as the designer then. Skinny jeans are coming back. Know what skinny jeans are? An arrow that points to your butt, and makes it look three to five times it's normal size. Still, women will see stick thin types in them and they will be everywhere. Yikes.

I just remember all the clothes I couldn't stand (or wear:)) in the 70's and 80's, and after three kids I'm not about to try wearing them the second time around!) Nliedel, skinny jeans are among them:D

If your but looks better than mine, and 99.9% of the worlds butts do... then go for it :D

It's not a matter of hating the items, just a dislike of the way they fit or feel on me.

I won't consider highheeled pointy toe shoes because they hurt my feet. (Sorry, Stacey & Clinton)

Woolen sweaters itch. It's cotton for me, Baby. I aslo prefer not to have spandex in my tops. I don't like tops which stretch across my chest, or are tightly fitted. I want to see more relaxed-fit shirts, blouses, & tops.

I can't understand why stores sell "destroyed" or torn jeans. This is a fad not a fashion. And this fad has been around too long.

Wide-legged cropped pants or capris with huge prints. Unflattering, and make me look fat. I do have a pair of slimmer cut capris with thin pencil stripes. They fit me well.

I love the long prairy skirts in style today. I bought one for my next cruise.

Barb

I personally do not like gauchos for personal reasons. I can remember being in the 5th grade and my Mom 'made' me wear them as they were the fashion thing to do. She didn't realize that the little town in Maine where we lived, fashion did not exist! It was humiliating... I would try to keep my legs closed all the time to make it look like a skirt instead.

Another thing that I do not like are metallic bags. They just seem really "cheap" to me... that is just how I feel. I know that many people like them and consider them to be in style, but I, too, prefer the classics. I don't even like to buy colored purses... I am a very fit and function girl, but with style!!!

Everyone has their own things that they like and dislike... Just because I do not like it, does not mean that it is not right for them. I like shorts, but just because someone else does not like them, does not mean that I am going to stop wearing them.

It is all personal preference...

Archived