Will I Be Sorry? I Booked Mercury??

wizard-of-roz

Help! I'm booked on the Mercury to Alaska, in September. Will I be disappointed? I've heard so much about the worn and tattered appearance of the ship, not to mention the "purex splattered" wood and upholstery! I've never cancelled a cruise before. Should I? :confused:

If I do it now, do I get back all of my deposit? I love X but they're not the only "ship" in town! What do you think?

I appreciate your input,

Roz:o

I just got back today from the Mercury. Keep your reservation. We saw no bleach stains on chairs or walls. We saw them actively replacing carpets and re-finishing elevator floors. We saw new chairs in several lounge areas.

The crew and staff are very happy and friendly. The shows are good. Food is better than average. One table mate had been on 8 Crystal Cruises and he said the food is better on the Mercury.

Yes the ship has some issues. Pool deck is very bad. Some chairs look old. Beds could be better. The Norovirus is in check. I would go back tomorrow. BTW... this was my 34th cruise and 15th on Celebrity.

Also, the Mercury sails from Seattle for its Alaska trips. This is a plus in my opinion.

My DH and I sailed Mercury last August/September. In our opinion she was wonderful. I guess if we were looking for something we could have found it but we were there for a wonderful vacation and we got it. We will be sailing her again in June along with several family members who are first timers. I chose her because I knew she was a beautiful ship and I knew our family would have a great time.:)

You know, I love my MIL to death, but when she goes to anyone's house she seems to go there to look for things to pick to death when she leaves. Me, I go to visit the people who live there. I don't care what the house looks like. I feel the same way about the Mercury, within reason of course.:rolleyes:

If you are going for a good time then you will find it on Mercury. If you are going thinking everything is going to be fancy and flawless then you picked the wrong ship. My guess is that you will love it.:D

Kay

Fblack, glad to hear you had such an enjoyable cruise on Mercury and things are getting back to normal. It's also good to hear that there are no lasting effects after the bleach episode. I very much enjoyed the entertainment last year.

Roz, I really love Mercury as a ship and was on her in 2002 and again last year. She didn't let me down. I can't agree with the "tattered and worn" comments. I thought she was still a lovely ship after a three year gap.

There are some pics of her in my signature, but I would really have needed to take some very close up photos to show any wear and tear. The Cova Cafe area is the best interior part of the ship in my view.

Phil

:p Thank you both so much for alleviating my worries. I, like you, am not there to "nit-pick" the ship to death. I go for the experience of meeting new people, having good service, eating good food and the glorious smells and vistas of the open sea! You've convinced me to keep my cruise and expect the best (or least close to it!) Yes! We are leaving out of Seattle on a "drive/cruise" vacation! We're driving from Northridge, Ca. about 1100 miles.

The price of gas:eek: will be our first concern and I hope, our only one!

These boards are such great help, thanks again!

Happy Sails to You!

Roz

I, like you, am not there to "nit-pick" the ship to death. I go for the experience of meeting new people, having good service, eating good food and the glorious smells and vistas of the open sea!

In that case Roz, you think like I do and I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. Have a great cruise:)

Phil

Hey Jill. Welcome home. I'm glad you had a good time.:cool: Can't believe you are back already:eek: Did you meet with Joyce and George?

Phil

Hi Phil

I can't believe I'm back either. The days just flew!

Yes, I met with Joyce and George.

I was really worried before the cruise because of all the bad comments, but my worries were completely unfounded. The passengers were sooooo friendly. It made the cruise even better. :)

Jill

Fblack, glad to hear you had such an enjoyable cruise on Mercury and things are getting back to normal. It's also good to hear that there are no lasting effects after the bleach episode. I very much enjoyed the entertainment last year.

Roz, I really love Mercury as a ship and was on her in 2002 and again last year. She didn't let me down. I can't agree with the "tattered and worn" comments. I thought she was still a lovely ship after a three year gap.

There are some pics of her in my signature, but I would really have needed to take some very close up photos to show any wear and tear. The Cova Cafe area is the best interior part of the ship in my view.

Phil

Is Interpol looking for you or what??

Wizard-of-roz.

Hey there neighbor......We live in Granada Hills. We were on the 3/17 Mercury cruise. This was our first on Celebrity.

We went to Alaska on Royal's Radiance in Aug. 04.

I know everyone has their opinion, but I'll add mine. I think there was NO comparing the ships.

Radiance was much newer, larger and had a great deal more amenities. The decor of the ship was beautiful compared to the dowdy and worn Mercury.

The Radiance has 2 dining rooms, but also had the 2 restaurants which we ate in and LOVED!!. The beds were yummy, sure seemed like egyptian cotton to me. Smooth and comfy. On the Mercury I asked for a foam mattress to put on the bed for some extra plush as there was none. Also our bedspread was so torn and tattered, I was amazed that it was still being used.

On both ships we booked inside staterooms.

I don't know how much of a difference in costs there are, but I'd check it out.

I do have pictures of the ship and would be happy to send to you if you like.

You can email me at rsimons@socal.rr.com

Beth

We just got off the Mercury today and we had the time of our lives! It was our first cruise, so we didn't have anything to compare it to. All I know is that we had a lot of fun and met so many wonderful people on the cruise. Also, all of the crew members who were assigned to us were extraordinary people. When we left the ship today, we felt as though we were leaving good friends behind, both passengers and crew members.

Everything looked clean to us. The only bleach that we smelled was in the bathrooms. I didn't notice any worn furniture or carpets. I guess I was too busy having fun.:D

We went to Alaska on Royal's Radiance in Aug. 04.

I know everyone has their opinion, but I'll add mine. I think there was NO comparing the ships.

Radiance was much newer, larger and had a great deal more amenities. The decor of the ship was beautiful compared to the dowdy and worn Mercury.

The Radiance has 2 dining rooms, but also had the 2 restaurants which we ate in and LOVED!!. The beds were yummy, sure seemed like egyptian cotton to me. Smooth and comfy. On the Mercury I asked for a foam mattress to put on the bed for some extra plush as there was none. Also our bedspread was so torn and tattered, I was amazed that it was still being used.

I have the same opinion of Mercury, based on my Alaska cruise last season.

"Dowdy and worn" are accurate terms. She is in need of some TCL.

If you liked Radiance, the M class ships of X will offer a similar experience, but more upscale food, service and cabins overall.

I am booked for next year, so plenty of time. My first Celebrity cruise was on the Horizon in 2004, which isn't a true respresntation of Celebrity, imo. It was a great cruise, however, the ship was underwhelming to me. I had great service in the dining room, but not where my room steward was concerned and I was even in a CC category. It was an 11 or 12 night cruise, don't remember, lol. This was a solo cruise for me. Typically, I have found Celebrity is cost prohibitive for me due to the high solo supplement, but I got a deal on the Horizon. I have done more cruising on HAL since their supplement is reasonable, and I enjoy HAL very much. My dh is able to accompany me on this cruise next year, so I was wanting to book Celebrity again, specifically the Mexican Riviera. I cruised on the Oosterdam(solo) last month to the Mexican Riviera and enjoyed it very much. I considered the Oosterdam again, but I was really wanting to cruise Celebrity AGAIN. I am now wondering if the Mercury is not the best representation of the Celebrity product. Lots to ponder.......

Brian - I will really be looking forward to your feedback as I know you and I enjoy the HAL product very much.

Marie

I am booked for next year, so plenty of time. My first Celebrity cruise was on the Horizon in 2004, which isn't a true respresntation of Celebrity, imo. It was a great cruise, however, the ship was underwhelming to me. I had great service in the dining room, but not where my room steward was concerned and I was even in a CC category. It was an 11 or 12 night cruise, don't remember, lol. This was a solo cruise for me. Typically, I have found Celebrity is cost prohibitive for me due to the high solo supplement, but I got a deal on the Horizon. I have done more cruising on HAL since their supplement is reasonable, and I enjoy HAL very much. My dh is able to accompany me on this cruise next year, so I was wanting to book Celebrity again, specifically the Mexican Riviera. I cruised on the Oosterdam(solo) last month to the Mexican Riviera and enjoyed it very much. I considered the Oosterdam again, but I was really wanting to cruise Celebrity AGAIN. I am now wondering if the Mercury is not the best representation of the Celebrity product. Lots to ponder.......

Brian - I will really be looking forward to your feedback as I know you and I enjoy the HAL product very much.

Marie

Hi Marie. IMRE, the Mercury is not the best representative of the Celebrity product. Compared to my recent HAL cruise on ZUI, the only service that was comparable was the dining room. Cabin service, housekeeping and lido buffet could not compare.

My mom, an Elite cruiser with X, was treated so disrepectfully by the Housekeeping Supervisor that I reported the incident to the Loyalty Ambassador (an RCI term I think), the Purser and later Captain's Club. I was amazed that it was never addressed.

Basically, she was accused of "stealing" the bonus coupon book for Elite Member that was supposed to be left in the cabin. First of all, my mom would never steal anything and secondly, the coupon book is such a ridiculous nothing anyway.

I demanded to see the woman who was so awful to my mother and she adamantly insisted my mother had already been given a coupon book. It took me putting the room steward, poor guy, in the same room as this Broom Hilda, and him telling her that he had not been advised that my mom was Elite, which was correct as I had to the Purser the first day to correct this.

My mom is 74 and very sweet. She was really appalled and embarassed by the situation. This witch was beastly to her and should have been fired for her aggressive and nasty attitude.

BTW, our dining room waiter was fired on the next to the last night of the cruise after being with X for 8 years. He was supposedly accused of saying something inappropriate to a female passenger. This waiter took care of a group of us - 28 travel agents and owners - and talked about his daughter and family with such love and pride we all found it hard to believe. Some of us tried to go to bat for him but the management aboard would not hear anything.

All in all, my impression of Mercury is that is showing its age and is not managed nearly as well as other X ships in my cruising experience.

And the bed was so wonderful on ZUI and really worn out on Mercury.

I really enjoy many things about Celebrity but, personally, would not choose to sail Mercury again.

At this point in time, I'd worry so much more about the cost of driving rather than any wear and tear of the ship. I filled up the day before yesterday, a tank of gas cost me $50 for my little Honda Accord. Figuring what gas, parking and hotel costs on the way up and back would be, you would be able to save enough by flying, for a nice dinner out the night prior to leaving and a hotel room close to the pier!

Of course, not knowing your reasoning for the drive, you may have a whole different agenda than what I would do.

I'm the type who would rather stick pins in my eyes than be in a car for more than 2 hours to go anywhere. Far different from the road trips I took with friends in my 20's ;) .

Mainly because I can't find a different cruise during that timeframe that interests me. I have been to the Caribbean over and over. Dh can not really take off more than a week at a time, so that limits us also. I booked this cruise as sort of a PLAN B. You see, I am booked on a 30 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise (solo) Jan 22 - Feb 21. This is a very expensive cruise, and it's possible my dream will not become a reality, so I wanted to have a PLAN B. Now, in my wildest dreams I am hoping to take both, lol,lol, but only time will tell. I could end up on both, on one or none :).

Thanks for the input!

Marie

All in all, my impression of Mercury is that is showing its age and is not managed nearly as well as other X ships in my cruising experience.

And the bed was so wonderful on ZUI and really worn out on Mercury.

I really enjoy many things about Celebrity but, personally, would not choose to sail Mercury again.

Our thoughts exactly! Although, I didn't really like the way the ship was designed & decorated, we didn't feel it was in that bad of shape though. However, we felt she had serious management issues. The higher ranking crew seems to be able to do whatever they please, with little consideration for the guest. Sadly, I'm not the least bid surprised that your mom was treated that way. The treatment we & many others received from the Maitre' d was appalling. Most anywhere else this guy would have already been fired, with this attitude. I'm still shocked that X allows this ship to run that way. Our others X cruises were quite the opposite. Like you, we don't see ourselves back on Mercury anytime in the near future. She would need a total management overhaul for us to go back.

tarheelmjfan-

Sorry to hijack this post, but I couldn't think of another way to get in touch with you. You recommended the helicopter/dog sled tour in another post. Is there a web site for this? My cousin will be going next month, and this is what he's interested in. Did you book excursion through ship or independently? Thanks

Archived