May 11th Announcement

ocngypz

I have elite status with Celebrity and have sailed the Mercury twice. Once was a 14 day relocation cruise. They have broken my heart once already on this item. I am doing one RCCL, one HAL and one Princess cruise this year. If they do not go to Australia-NZ I will do it next year on HAL or Princess. Their spending billions on RCCL mega ships that I refuse to sail on, it is about time they give us something we want.

I have elite status with Celebrity and have sailed the Mercury twice. Once was a 14 day relocation cruise. They have broken my heart once already on this item. I am doing one RCCL, one HAL and one Princess cruise this year. If they do not go to Australia-NZ I will do it next year on HAL or Princess. Their spending billions on RCCL mega ships that I refuse to sail on, it is about time they give us something we want.

Hi Richard !

I totally agree. I wish RCI would get out of the mentality, where they assume that if we dont like what Celebrity is doing, we would simply make our second choice a Royal Caribbean ship. While some MIGHT do this, I do not think it should be assumed.

We all know what happens when we assume :)

A couple of months ago I received free Cirque du Soleil tickets from Celebrity. I gave them to my daughter and son-in-law. At the show they sat next to one of the Celebrity executives and he told her Mercury would be sailing to Australia in 2007. I guess the info was correct. We'll see on the 11th.;) Now the secret is out.

Any idea if this would be a winter (our winter) itinerary? Year round?

Hi HMG !

From what little we know, it would be our Winter (Late 2007 - Early 2008), and it would be for roughly 4 months. At this moment, it is all speculation though.

I suspect the itineraries will mirror those of Princess. Thus out and down late fall, and returning mid-late spring.

Though..... you never know!! Celebrity has quite a following in the lands of koala and kiwi!

If Celebrity does this it will first be a good business decision as they will make more money in Australia-NZ than in Mexico. If they look at the business that HAL and Princess have done in this market it is a can't miss venture. It will also be popular with Celebrity cruisers who are tired the same ole-same ole. If the price is right I'm in.

If Celebrity does this it will first be a good business decision as they will make more money in Australia-NZ than in Mexico. If they look at the business that HAL and Princess have done in this market it is a can't miss venture. It will also be popular with Celebrity cruisers who are tired the same ole-same ole. If the price is right I'm in.

Hi Richard !

I agree that Mercury should make more money in Australia. In addition, I strongly felt that Mercury NEEDED to be redeployed, as the Mexico itinerary has not been a huge winner for some time now. I have seen this itinerary on "Happy Hour" on a fairly regular basis. I have been amazed that Celebrity has kept Mercury on this run for such a long time. I always kept wondering how they could not find a better use for Mercury, and apparantly... now they have.

I know many here are all excited about the concept of Australia, but I still have to wonder what pricing will look like. I have a feeling that if prices are extremly high, many of those who say they will go, will think quite a bit before they make final payment.

I hope Celebrity prices it competitively. If they do, it should work out successfully. While I feel it is a bold decision, and hopefully, a wise decision, I am not certain it is a "cant miss" for them.

I hope Celebrity prices it competitively. If they do, it should work out successfully. While I feel it is a bold decision, and hopefully, a wise decision, I am not certain it is a "cant miss" for them.

I agree that pricing is critical especially as, for most passengers, expensive airfares will need to be added on. Further, at least for OneWorld frequent fliers (British Airways, American Airlines etc.), there are not too many award seats available on the partner airline, Qantas to and from North America. Whatever happens, Americans will not be looking at cheap cruising when all costs including airfares are taken into account. I am sure their number crunchers would be well aware of this.

Of course, expensive airfares are something Aussies and Kiwis have to deal with every time they want to cruise Mexico, the Caribbean, Alaska and Europe. :(

Also itineraries will be important. I am not sure how many Aussies and Kiwis will be attracted if the ports are just New Zealand and Australia. Attractive to me would be Asia or the Pacific Islands but others will have different views.

I await the announcement with great interest and think that Celebrity has the opportunity "to get it right" and really add a different aspect to their portfolio of destinations. :) Iam really delighted this at last appears to be really happening.

I priced a cruise on HAL in December to Australia-NZ and for and outside cabin + airfare you are looking at over $8000 for two on a 14 day cruise. HAL does a lot more ports than Princess in NZ. I hope Celebrity follow HAL's route on this cruise. With so few airlines flying this route it is difficult to book yourself unless you are arriving early and leaving late. I have done this once, the flights are long and take a lot out of you.

Also itineraries will be important. I am not sure how many Aussies and Kiwis will be attracted if the ports are just New Zealand and Australia. Attractive to me would be Asia or the Pacific Islands but others will have different views.

I await the announcement with great interest and think that Celebrity has the opportunity "to get it right" and really add a different aspect to their portfolio of destinations. :) Iam really delighted this at last appears to be really happening.

Hi Michael !

I have to imagine you must be really excited about this news. It will be great to have a Celebrity ship in your backyard !

While it seems as if it is happening, I am very curious to hear more about pricing and itineraries. We will know more when the "official" news comes out.

For now, we have to wait until May 11th :)

Hi Richard !

I agree that Mercury should make more money in Australia. In addition, I strongly felt that Mercury NEEDED to be redeployed, as the Mexico itinerary has not been a huge winner for some time now. I have seen this itinerary on "Happy Hour" on a fairly regular basis. I have been amazed that Celebrity has kept Mercury on this run for such a long time. I always kept wondering how they could not find a better use for Mercury, and apparantly... now they have.

I know many here are all excited about the concept of Australia, but I still have to wonder what pricing will look like. I have a feeling that if prices are extremly high, many of those who say they will go, will think quite a bit before they make final payment.

Hi Andy :)

Aside from pricing, I think length of cruise will be an important factor. There are many people who love cruising, but do not like to take cruises that are longer than 14 days.

Why the secrecy? Wish they had done this ASAP. instead of "teasing us" Have a booking with another cruise line for Aug 2007 for LA to Sydney via Sth Pacific, NZ, and Melbourne AU.

Can give info for my pricing, These are for Inside cabin (not lowest grade) and for a SOLO passenger (which means paying the same total as couple for the cabin because of the supplement)

Cruise 31 days:- Cruise only $6552, -Tax 93.88 - Ins for one (aged 81 )by cruise line $419, - Economy air Florida to LA and back from Sydney to FL (for one person) $1149 booked with cruise line. Will also have to add Hotel in LA for pre cruise night as sailing is at 4p.m. cost not yet available. - Air Fees $87 - Ground Transfers $70.

This is high of course but it is for 31 days. I wanted to do business class air, but that cost is not available yet, did some research yesterday and nearly died of "shock" my air cost would jump to $7000 for business class Sydney to LA with Qantas.

Too much for me on top of cruise cost. I doubt if I would do the trip just for 14 days between AU and NZ, as the air fare and the length of the flight would deter me. If I am going to spend so long in the air (From FL to LA about 8 hours - and then Sydney back to FL -about 24 hours) I want a nice long cruise for the effort.

I would really like to do this with Celebrity, , but I am not sure about Mecury does not have the on board amentities of the "M" class. but that is just my feeling

Will really keep my eyes and ears open on May 11, I have been waiting so long for "different" cruises from "X".

I do hope Celebrity is going to expand their cruising options. We have tired of the same ole same ole and consequently have booked Princess for a 28 night Sydney to Los Angles cruise April 2007.

Celebrity pricing will be important, the Princess cruise is $4350 per person for 28 nights for an AB mini-suite a real bargain. Our Hawaii cruise scheduled for this December is also going to be on Princess due to pricing. One extra night, AB mini-suite, for $700 per person less than Infinity.

I hope Celebrity does something good with schedules and prices, I sure do not want our September Constellation cruise to be our last on Celebrity.

Thank you , Heatherb1953, very interesting . When I first read the news about May 11th, I passed the info on to my TA (who is very good), knowing my interest in long and different cruises, she got in touch with her source at Celebrity.

Would you believe that the person completely denied that any announcement was being made, and said that Celebrity was definitely NOT doing any new routes whatsoever.

I have passed your info on to my TA, It is not good PR to inform one section of the public and then completely deny the info to another section. I assume that they think UK passengers might have relatives in that part of the world and would be interested in going there with a visit to "family" whilst there.

Where in the UK do you live? I am an Ex Brit (born in S Wales, lived mostly in London, before and during the war) Answer me if you wish at rafex1@earthlink.net, since it is personal instead of Celebrity orientated.

Yes the rafex does refer to being ex RAF. since I was in the WAAF and then an RAF wife for 30 years.

Came off a cruise in April, spent a lot of time at night with passengers from Newcastle on Tyne

Lynn

I sure hope that itineraries of 10-12 nights are going to be offered. For us “pre-retired” :D folks a fourteen-night cruise plus air travel time (the Dateline is in play here) plus jet lag recovery suggests a minimum of 12 or 13 consecutive weekdays away from the office, especially if you live east of the Rockies. It’s very difficult to be away for that long even if (especially if??) you own your business.

A 10, 11, or possibly 12-night itinerary would help make this part of the world more accessible to those of us North Americans that are still working. If the schedule is all 14-nighters then X will likely have to rely mostly on retirees and residents of Australia and New Zealand to fill Mercury. I hope that the announcement includes some shorter cruises. We want to go before we’re retired!!

From what I see in Mercury's schedule it would make sense. There is a large hole in her schedule from Sept 21 - November 12. I can see her doing a Mexican run or two then an extensive refurbish followed by the 11 night cruise to Hawaii Nov 12.

They have nothing else for her until a 12 night March 16 return from Hawaii. That's 4 months they could put her in the South Pacific and Austrailia. I know know if she will touch Asia or not, but we'll see.

This is all great news for us downunder.At last the Carnival controlled lines,P&O Australia,P&O,Princess,HAL and Cunard will have some competition.They have had it all to themselves recently.

I wonder if it will reflect in some better pricing?

I checked the cruise ship schedules for some our smaller ports and Mercury is booked in through Dec07 till Feb 08 so far ,at Napier,Dunedin,Hobart,Melbourne.The other ports are not giving lists that far ahead or have a ship booked in but just say TBA.

I am sure they will get great support down here.Can't wait for the announcement.

We like to cruise Xmas/New Year ....looks like 07/08 we may be on Mercury.

Archived