Annoyance/Inconvenience........

sail7seas

IF he knocked, we did not hear it but we were on our verandah having our breakfast. Some of the ships have doorbells that are audible on the Suite verandahs but Ryndam does not.

We did not hear a knock. I looked up and saw him standing in the middle of our cabin. There was a 50/50 chance I might have been 'attired' sufficiently to not be embarrassed. Thankfully, I was wearing my silk robe. I might not have been and that would have been an even worse scenario. Often, DH lets the Room Service steward in and they set up our breakfast while I am 'out of sight'. That morning I crawled out of bed early enough to be presentable. ;)

In 10 days on the Volendam we saw the mini-bar attendant once. He just happened to show up at the cabin at the same time we did and he asked if he could check the bar. Other than that I don't recall being bothered once and only saw the attendant one other time in the hallway near our cabin.

Thanks for posting this information everyone! We'll be on Volendam in May, and I'll make sure the door is locked. I sleep in and DH goes to the gym early, so I hope there is a DND sign in the cabin. I like ships that have an empty refrig so we can put in our own water and caffeine free diet coke - have never seen this available on any ship.

8:30 am is entirely too early for anyone to enter, knock, phone or anything else unless your cabin steward sees you leave. We were also startled by someone checking our mini bar one day, a gentle knock and in they came. We also had a cabin steward enter one time with the same gentle knock. After that, we decided to use the DND sign while we are in our cabin. It's automatic with us now. When entering we put it on the door or enter it in the door slot. We have never traveled on a ship where it locked the door so DH could not enter, that would be a problem. Never have we had a problem since we started using this system. Often, we receive a note under the door that they tried to check our mini bar but the DND sign was on. Sail, I know you always travel in S suites. Possibly the concierge could arrange for you not to be disturbed by the mini bar attendant. I would think this would be such a small request from such a loyal Holland passenger. Too bad it even needs to be on your "to do" list when you board the ship.

1. The boy/girl who replenishes your mini-bar in the morning works in the bar later in the day. He can check all 600 minibars earlier in the day - or he can keep the bar closed to the passengers and check them mini-bar later in the day. How long do you think it takes to check that many cabins?

2. Turning the deadbolt on the inside of your cabin door will not allow anyone - except a senior officer with a special Master Key - to open the door. If you want no visitors and do not have a DND sign, turn the bolt.

3. If you do not want to use to mini-bar - or have it checked everyday - you can simply instruct the cabin steward to empty it and leave it that way for the duration of the cruise. Nobody will bother you.

4. Every cruise, every ship, about 50 cabins complain that nobody ever checked their mini-bar. Upon investigation, the Do Not Disturb sign was out for most of the week, or the deadbolt was turned most of every day.

Lack of communication is critical here. You really need to tell the service staff what it is (and when) you really want. Some cruise ship staff seem to be able to read minds - but others cannot.

Bruce I agree. The crew has a job to do. They don't always choose their own hours. ;)

I have used the little DND card many times. If there was not one in the cabin I would certainly ask for one. I think it is the responsibility of the pax to either use the DND card or deadbolt if they do not want anyone entering their cabin.

Many here have objected to 8:30 and I understand they like to sleep but not everyone is like that. Some of us are morning people and for me 8:30 is late . (Different strokes for different folks) I would much rather have the mini bar checked early so I have the rest of the morning to relax. :)

The request I SHOULD have made was for a Do Not Disturb Sign. As I said, we did not see them used on any doors on Navigation Deck so it seems they needed to resupply the cabins with these signs.

Yes..... I could have spoken with the Concierge or several other people but I didn't do that. If it happens again, that is what I will do

The only person IMO that belongs walking into as passenger's cabin at 8:30 A.M. is the Room Service Steward OR the cabin steward if he saw the guests leave their cabin.

IMO....that is too early for any sort of non-emergency maintenance or mini-bar restocking.

The only person IMO that belongs walking into as passenger's cabin at 8:30 A.M. is the Room Service Steward OR the cabin steward if he saw the guests leave their cabin.

IMO....that is too early for any sort of non-emergency maintenance or mini-bar restocking.

Exactly! It's been our experience that the room stewards on HAL try to "gauge" their pax daily habits so that they can time it when we're out so they can come in and do their job. BTW, nothing but compliments for those guys; they are great! I am (usually:rolleyes: ) out early in the morning also heading for the gym but DW runs experiments and "zzz tests" on HAL's bedding and SOE mattresses which sometimes last until 0900-1000 hrs;) so is not always "ready to start the day" at 0830. When I leave her in that state, I make sure the little DND sign is slipped in the key card lock and we've never had a problem with anyone coming in.

I also agree that 0830 is a tad on the early side for mini-bar checking. My guess is that the bar steward knocked, but because Mr. and Mrs. S7S were on the balcony enjoying their breakfast, they did not hear him. He did not see a DND sign and.........the door was not dead-bolted so he assumed no one was inside and came in to do his thing. We've had that happen once or twice and found that the guys, upon discovering that someone is actually home, become extremely apologetic, almost embarrassed and make a quick retreat for the door. Maybe in S7S case, the guy, upon seeing them on the balcony, thought he could do his thing without being noticed, however wasn't counting on S7S's keen sense of her suroundings and eagle vision:)

Bruce I agree. The crew has a job to do. They don't always choose their own hours. ;)

Many here have objected to 8:30 and I understand they like to sleep...I think it is the responsibility of the pax to either use the DND card or deadbolt if they do not want anyone entering their cabin.

I agree. I think the assumption of the mini bar steward is the same as what the assumption of the room steward must be. If the deadbolt is not on or the DND card not in the door, it is okay to knock and enter. If we don't want anybody knocking and entering, for sure we do one or both of those things. If I was eating on the balcony frankly it wouldn't bother me at all if a steward came and I was in my robe. It has happened many times. If we are dressing or sleeping, of course we use the deadbolt/sign.

It may sound paranoid, but I treat the cabin like I would a hotel room. I always turn the deadbolt. We have been lucky because I can't recall anyone entering the cabin when DH has left me sleeping. Then again, they could probably come in and check the mini-bar (heck, even do everything but make the bed) and I wouldn't wake up anyway! They knock so softly that one of us has to be on lookout when we order room service. We'd never hear them if we weren't right there in the room.

Sign me up on the side of Bruce and gizmo. The only way for the mini-bar restocking guy to know that a certain time is NOT when you want it done is to throw the deadbolt (or tell the NL concierge when a consistently good time would be).

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, but it sounds like what you're complaining about is actually just good, efficient service.

Perhaps it's because I'm usually lodged down in the bowels of the ship, but I've never had a steward come in to check the Minibar at 8:30 in the morning. And, when they DO come to check the minibar, they have always nocked on the door to announce themselves.

8:30 in the morning -

Morning walk-a-thon is long over.

Breakfast in the restaurant is half over.

The serving lines in the lido are long. Passengers are complaining.

Seating in the lido is difficult to find. Passengers are complaining.

Several all day tours are already underway.

What better time for the mini bar checkers to start making their rounds?

They need to get this chore finished in time to do the preparation work for their other bar tending or wine steward duties starting at lunch time and lasting until the end of main dinner seating or even later in the bars.

A few passengers are disturbed in thier stateroom. Passengers are complaining.

It is all part of the syndrome "I want what I want when I want it and only when I want it and if I don't get it, a passenger is complaining!!!!!"

8:30 in the morning -

Morning walk-a-thon is long over.

Breakfast in the restaurant is half over.

The serving lines in the lido are long. Passengers are complaining.

Seating in the lido is difficult to find. Passengers are complaining.

Several all day tours are already underway.

What better time for the mini bar checkers to start making their rounds?

They need to get this chore finished in time to do the preparation work for their other bar tending or wine steward duties starting at lunch time and lasting until the end of main dinner seating or even later in the bars.

A few passengers are disturbed in thier stateroom. Passengers are complaining.

It is all part of the syndrome "I want what I want when I want it and only when I want it and if I don't get it, a passenger is complaining!!!!!"

......:) and some people are sleeping in. It's their vacation. They get up to their alarm clock every morning all year long. They want to sleep, rest, take it slow on their vacation. They don't care about breakfast in Lido and have signed up for no excursions. :) They're not selfish, IMO......they are enjoying their vacation in the way that suits them.

Lots of people are very 'inactive' on cruises. They don't race around trying to include as many activities as possible.

Nothing wrong with either style IMO

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd be a very unhappy camper with uninvited visits, for any reason, at 08.30. It's 'forget the alarm' time!

We've sailed most of the 'dam' ships and can't recall not having a DND sign - would certainly ask for one if it was not there - like breakfast menu cards - we've had to ask for those.

DH rises with the birds - he's long gone when I see light of day - I know he will post the DND card as he leaves - around 09.30/10.00 he returns with my morning coffee and a second cup for himself - I'm usually just out of the shower. Works for us.

Dead bolts I'm not big on - prefer those flip over things which allow the door to be opened only a couple of inches.

So it really all boils down to keeping the deadbolt on when you are in the cabin and do not want to be disturbed

Absolutely. :)

What time they choose to restock the mini bars has nothing to do with being disturbed.

Is anyone sure the steward's key cards cannot open a door that has the dead bolt turned? We know there are such keys as they would be required for emergency. I have no way of knowing if the cabin stewards' cards have that capacity.

Is anyone sure the steward's key cards cannot open a door that has the dead bolt turned? We know there are such keys as they would be required for emergency. I have no way of knowing if the cabin stewards' cards have that capacity.

Nope, can't say that, S7S but I can tell you that it has been our experience that HAL's room and bar (mini-bar) stewards always knock first. Have also seen them knock and identify themselves as they're waiting outside:)

Sail I am pretty positive that it does keep them out because ours is always locked whne we are in the room and our mini bar NEVER get replenished or at least seldom does and we have to ask are steward to get more cokes for Tom. Then we usually don't see them till the end of the cruise when we get the note saying they are going to lock the frigerator.

Speaking of cokes does anyone remember if HAL offers Coke Zero? I have gotten Tom to start drinking that rather than regular coke. I myself NEVER drink sodas,only water or ice tea or juice. Oh Yes, an occasional glass of CHAMPAGNE:D :D :D :D

Archived