This cruise has been the hardest I've ever tried to pack for Help Ladies

marcyjane

Thanks for all the great info. We will be on the same cruise as Pungo3, and I too have had a really hard time figuring out what to take. I'm not a big clothes shopper and have to admit most of the things we buy are off the clearance racks (love those sales!). So where do you find moleskin pants? And are they expensive? Everytime I try to figure out what all to take, I also start thinking, how wrinkled is it going to get? I don't want to have to spend much time ironing, especially since it's not like a hotel room where you have an iron in the room.

Also, for those of you that use the space saver bags, do they really work that well? The reviews I have found on the internet were not that good. Most of the ones I read indicated that they leaked and didn't keep the air out. If that happens while on our trip, it would definitely defeat the purpose. I've thougt about buying some, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Kathy

Hi,:) moleskin pants can be found at most major dept stores (I think).

I have had mine for awhile now. I sort of collect them;)

My most recent ones I got from Kohls. They are a golden brown

color. I have black, purple, and 2 or 3 different shades of blue.

Enjoy them!

Hey Kathy, I bought my moleskin pants on Ebay. I don't know if you have time to use Ebay since we are only a month from sailing. :( Sorry. You might look on the HSN or QVC websites. At this time of year, they might have them on sale. I have 3 pairs and they all were HSN or QVC returns which I purchased on Ebay.

Lois, thanks so much for mentioning them. I had totally forgotten about them as an alternative to jeans. I think I'll only pack one pair of jeans and my 3 pair of moleskin. I have black, olive green, and dark tan. They are very comfortable.:)

Ooooooh, I never knew that there were the space saver bags with valves. The ones that I have need to be vacuumed. I am glad to know that I can ask my room steward to do it for me. That never entered my mind!

mrsa1113, I can tell you that I have only used my bags on one trip....to and from Venezuela, because I had to pack enough clothes for our family to live there. The bags worked wonderfully for me. I couldn't have done the packing without them. I never had a problem with leaking. I do not have the ones with a valve, though. Mine have the place for a vacuum hose to go in. I think I may pull them out for this trip.

I do not have any casual pants other than jeans. I, too, may have to go out and buy another type. I hope I can find some that aren't too expensive. I will check Kohl's. I love that store!!!! I may also check TJ Maxx and Ross.

The best purchase I've ever made has been the zip-off cargo type pants. They easily convert from casual long pants to shorts in seconds! I've purchased them for myself, my husband, son and daughter and they do come in handy for those questionable temps. We were in Florida a year ago Feb. and they were great while we were at the parks. Just zipped off the legs as the day warmed up and threw them in my backpack.

You can buy them at any sports apparel stores...Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops have a good selection. I like the Columbia brand the best.

Good luck!

Deb

OK Gals,

From what I'm reading here, I have 2 more pieces of advice about this subject:

1. Be careful with the space saver bags. They are helpful indeed for squishing down those bulky items. The problem can be that because they allow you to compress your stuff, you can fit a LOT more things into your suitcase. This will FREQUENTLY result in very heavy luggage, and you may end up paying that "overweight" charge at the airport. Just be careful when you use them -- they will definitely enable you to carry more than you realize.

2. Carry your jacket/coat with you on the plane (whichever one is the "puffiest"). It will save you room in your bag, and you can use it as a pillow and/or cushion during your plane ride. When not being used, you can just tie the sleeves around your waist.

happy sails!

9 days out from Alaska 5/14!!!

sarahjane

Sarahjane, thanks for the advise. Being a Floridian who almost always drives to the port, I completely forgot about the weight limitations for luggage.:eek: I'm going to have to rethink some of my packing now. Better to worry about it now than being at the airport and having to fork over more dollars!!

The best purchase I've ever made has been the zip-off cargo type pants....

I like the Columbia brand the best.

Good luck!

Deb

Ditto! I have 3 pairs of zip-offs and they are the greatest! The 2 Columbia are the ones I wear the most. I have another pair that are too long as pants, so I only wear them as (baggy) shorts. I highly, highly recommend these pants. Space-saving, quick-drying, versatile, and oh-so-comfy :)

Girls I'm head out to see if I can find some of those zip off pants, they sound Great!!!. I live in a small town, but we do have a sporting goods store and a Hibbett's so I'll try there, I normally just were sweats, shorts or capri's, but you gals have got me to wanting to try some of these pants.

That's why I love cruise critics so much, for all the good information and sharing advise.

Thanks a much

Marcy

Marcy,

REI (they have an online store) has their big once a year sale this weekend. They have several brands available and they are all on sale except the one brand that I like "Ex Officio". The REI brand is nice! Good Luck!:D

Hi all,

I too bought the zip off pants. I bought 3 pair for this trip. I bought basic colors Khaki and Black and will mix and match tops. I'm also taking 2 warm up suits that are black and white. Trying to stick with clothes I can mix and match as much as possible. Not sure what I'm taking for dinner wear but I'm leaning to a pair of black and a pair or white pants and then 2 formal dresses. Not cruising until July 5 and we plan a couple days pre and couple days post. I have plenty of time to get this packing thing down to absolute need. Right now planning on 3 pair shoes. Black dress, walking shoes and waterproof shoes. I'm glad to see there are other people struggling with the packing layers issue. This board is a great place for advice. Thanks to all you contributors.

Di

Di,

That sound like my suitcase, I'm taking about the same as you. I couldn't find any of those zip off cargo pants here in town and as high as gas is I didn't want to drive 75 miles and back to Nashville to find them, Bass Pro had them I did call to see for sure, but I got on the web and found some on ebay 2 new pair for $24.99 + shipping, not bad at all, now just hope that they fit.

I had already made my (buy it now) purchase on ebay when I saw the post here about REI, but I'll know now if I need anything else like that I'll sure try them they had a lot of neat clothes.

Now this doesn't have anything to do with clothes or packing, but I had post a question somewhere on this board about bring your own soda on board the Star and I can't find it now, so thought I'd ask you girls idea about bringing soda aboard. I have those fold up insulated coolers, but they take up not a lot, but quite a bit of room in the luggage, do you think since we are Pepsi product " Diet Mt. Dew" people that we could get by with just walking on board with the 12 pack carton?

Thanks,

Marcy

According to the HAL board, in addition to all the stuff you've mentioned, HAL cruisers are expected to bring tux's or dark suit, plus sports jacket, and evening gown X2 for ladies, and HAL cruisers seem very upset w/ people who don't bring all that. In fact, HAL policy requires 2 year olds to wear formalwear, too!

We're packing for a child and toddler also, with car seats and strollers and diapers and who won't be carrying luggage, in fact may get carried themselves. It's a luggage quandry!

Any chance we could ditch the suit and the evening gown and just wear spots coat all the time and me in a stretch black dress w/ shawl?

OK, I've seen several posts about needing waterproof clothing and shoes. Here's the deal. I'm not doing any kind of hiking. Glacier or otherwise. I am going fishing...to watch. And then whalewatching. Just how wet will I get? I will be in layers and all, but do I really need all this other stuff that has been mentioned? :confused:

Thanks

Hi, this will be my first time to Alaska so I am probably not the

best person to answer you but I would tell you to please take

a poncho and/or umbrella (at least). I know from researching

on here that it is essentially a rain forest (the SE area of Alaska anyway).

So at least do that...if you are watching those fishing, if it decides

to rain at least you will be kept dry.

As for the other stuff...not sure what you are referring to...

I am bringing a fleece jacket (quite warm made by Columbia)and

a windbreaker...I have been told that is important too.

I am bringing gloves, hat and plenty of socks:) And a poncho.

As for shoes, I think everyone has their own requirements.

I am bringing 2 pair of walking shoes..both "breathable" so if they

get a bit wet they should take quicker to dry. I don't plan on

any "major hiking" but one of my tours is a walking tour so I want

to have decent shoes...no boots for me but shoes.

And you are doing fine with the layering thing...I am doing that too:)

Hope this helps a bit and have a great cruise!

I did a "pre-pack" over the weekend and I couldn't close the suitcase:eek: Yesterday I thought about the spacesaver bags and wondered how I would vacuum them at the end of the cruise. Now I know it can be done. I'll ask housekeeping:p How many bags are we allowed to check in on plane and how many on ship? Anyone know what the weight limit is on plane?

Airlines allow you 2 pieces to carry on...example, a carry on and purse

or a carry on and back pack. But only 2 pieces can go with you onto

the plane.

You can check as many peices as you need but remember the weight

limit. ( I don't know the limit..thankfully I have never exceeded it).

As for the cruiselines, they don't care how much luggage you bring

along (at least I have never heard of them putting a limit on anything).

You cannot close your suitcase? How much are you bringing?

I guess I am really lucky..the more cruises I have done, the

more efficient I have become with my packing.

Most airlines restrict you to 2 bags to check in with a 50 pound limit-that's per person plus the two carry ons. Any more bags or go over the weight limit and there is a charge. Check your airline website for exact info

I did a "pre-pack" over the weekend and I couldn't close the suitcase:eek: Yesterday I thought about the spacesaver bags and wondered how I would vacuum them at the end of the cruise. Now I know it can be done. I'll ask housekeeping:p How many bags are we allowed to check in on plane and how many on ship? Anyone know what the weight limit is on plane?

Most airlines have a 50 lb weight limit. I can tell you from VERY recent experience that it is not fun to open your suitcases outside the airport to move things around so your luggage is not over weight :eek: !! Spacesaver travel bags do not require the vacuum, just simply roll them to remove the air. However, if you search "packing" you will find many people prefer the "pack-it folders" over the bags. No sense buying the bags though if you're gong over limit on weight. I had a very large bag that I thought I would use for Alaska and now I'm reconsidering changing to a smaller bag... Also, contact your airlines about numbers of bags, many only allow 2 per person checked and 2 per person carried on.

Airlines allow you 2 pieces to carry on...example, a carry on and purse

or a carry on and back pack. But only 2 pieces can go with you onto

the plane.

You can check as many peices as you need but remember the weight

limit. ( I don't know the limit..thankfully I have never exceeded it).

As for the cruiselines, they don't care how much luggage you bring

along (at least I have never heard of them putting a limit on anything).

You cannot close your suitcase? How much are you bringing?

I guess I am really lucky..the more cruises I have done, the

more efficient I have become with my packing.

I've never had problems packing before. I think it's because it's all winter clothes that take up way more room than summer stuff:(

Hi, I still am not having a problem with my packing though.

Maybe we just pack differently? My slacks don't take up much

room at all.....they are "moleskin". You know that material? It

feels like suade, BUT it is washable:D, they fold up and don't

wrinkle either!

Turtlenecks and sweaters, but not bulky ones are great

for layering.

Anyway, good luck to you:)

marcyjane

Where are you from in Middle TN? It sounds like you and I are close to the same place. I live about 87 miles west of Nashville.

We are going to Alaska May 31 on Carnival. So I will be taking my winter clothes.

Dayna and John

Living in Florida, we have been cruising the past several years and always pick a Florida port to leave from. Hence we havent had to fly in some time. So here is my silly question - some of you have stated there is a 50lb weight limit and two bags per person. Is that 50lbs PER BAG or a total of 50lbs between the two?

We are booked for May of 2007 and I am already in a panick for not having any winter clothes..LOL :(

Archived