This cruise has been the hardest I've ever tried to pack for Help Ladies

marcyjane

Hi,

This cruise to Alaska is driving me crazy as what to pack.

I know from reading the boards to take the following:

Hat, coat, gloves, binoculars, 2 pair walking shoes, and rain gear and some clothes to layer,

but are your gals taking capri's for around the ship and shorts and swin suit,sandals just in case there are a day or two of warm weather?

Thanks,

Marcy

Yes. :) And I am taking jeans for port days.

Hi,

This cruise to Alaska is driving me crazy as what to pack.

I know from reading the boards to take the following:

Hat, coat, gloves, binoculars, 2 pair walking shoes, and rain gear and some clothes to layer,

but are your gals taking capri's for around the ship and shorts and swin suit,sandals just in case there are a day or two of warm weather?

Thanks,

Marcy

kimmeesook,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one taking shorts and sandals. My co-workers at work are so tired of me trying to decide what to take and my best friend that is going with me, today said let's just wait til the week before to check weather channel and see what the weathers going to be like.

Well I guess I'm one of those people who does a trial run on packing a month before and thought if you all don't think I'm crazy I'll do that tommorrow 3 weeks away from cruising.

I guess that I didn't want to pack to many fall, winter clothes, just not a lot of summer either, so that's what making this cruise packing hard.

Thanks,

Marcy:)

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one stressing out about what to wear/take to Alaska. Must admit the Caribbean cruises are easier to pack for. Only 7 days left...and I'm still trying to decide what to pack. Every so often I have this dreadful thought that my luggage will get lost, and that will be awful.

Hi Marcyjane! We cruised the Mariner together last year and we are on our way to AK this year too! I'm the type that is never warm enough so I know I will limit what I am taking in the way of "summer" clothes. I'll probably take 2 pair of capris and then just some short sleeved tops for my jeans if we get warmer day in the interior. You are right though, it is very hard and fleece takes up alot of space too!

cntrydncr1,

It's a small world after all, I can't believe that, Maybe we'll see you around the ship. The chances for this is very slim to none.

I don't know if you remember or not I came back and posted on the cc board about the Bingo on Mariner, were you in the show lounge last day of the cruise for the Jackpot Bingo Game for $15,000.00 ?

Two people had winning Bingo Card and I was one and split the $15,000.00 with a guy from Mexico, I was shocked and in a can't believe mode for about a week.

One of my best girl friend was on that cruise as well we split the cost of the bingo cards so we split the $7,500.00 and decided to book Alaska this year for our yearly week vacation away for the kids and grandkids.

She divorced a couple of years ago and my husband passed away, so now we take a week a year just to get away have a change of scenry and enjoy life a little.

Hope to run into you and if I don't have a wonderful cruise to Alaska, Oh, ( I sure hope they have Bingo!)

Marcy:)

I agree with you. Alaska is very difficult to pack for. I'm still wondering whether I really need to pack a pair of shorts or not. I was hoping to wear jeans for tne entire cruise (other than dinner when I'll wear nice, dress slacks). Any thought about this. Maybe someone who has been to Alaska previously will drop by and give us some information.

We were in Alaska in late July 2004, and there was one day, I believe in Skagway, when we possibly could have worn shorts in the afternoon. We had on tshirts, and hoodies were tied around our waists! It got quite warm. Of course, I am from Texas, so warm to me might not be warm to someone else!:D However, since we left the ship in the a.m., we would have had to pack the shorts along with us, because it was definitely too cool in the morning for that kind of thing. Anyway, we were not miserable in our jeans even though it got warm enough for shorts.

On the ship, I do not recall wishing for shorts at any time. It was always rather cool indoors (unless you go to exercise in the gym -- might want some shorts for that).

This year we are going to Alaska on May 14, so I have heard it will probably be much cooler on average being so early in the season. I expect to need the thermal top under my tshirt & hoodie.

You will be fine with jeans all the time. The only day you can guarantee to be cold will be the day you are cruising the glacier. It feels like standing in a meat freezer pretty much:D . Bring a slicker with a hood, just in case it is wet that day. It was for us at Hubbard, and we would have been miserable, wet and cold without them!

Have a great trip!

sarahjane

Thank you, sarahjane. I feel much better now. I'm going to stick with my original plan and just carry jeans for all excursions. I won't bother to pack any shorts.

Hi Marcy.

I understand your problem had the same one. After much thinking I have decided for everyday to take nylon track outfits some have pants and jacket others are just pants. I will be taking short sleeve V-neck t-shirts to wear with them. Also to wear with them I will be bringing 1 sweatshirt and 1 pair of long johns (bottom only). Misc is 1 pair of shorts, bathing suit and a pair of flip flops for going to the jacuzzis and saunas.

Hope that Helps

Elizabeth

I sailed the Seattle-Seattle itinerary last May and will be sailing Whittier to Vancouver on May 22, 2006. To prevent overpacking I wear jeans for daytime whether I am in port or on the ship. I pack a few turtlenecks, sweaters, and vests. I also include a pair of gloves and a scarf for those extra chilly moments up on deck. I have a warmer coat and a fold-up rain coat for those unexpected moments. I wear a pair of Rockport tennis shoes that are not only very comfortable but can get water on them and are machine washable. I am not packing any sandles or shorts because last May's weather never warranted them. For the evening I take only one pair of black heels; goes with everything. I take one pair of fancy black evening pants and two glitter tops, a couple of dresses and a pantsuit. We have personal choice dining so we are not locked into going to the dining room every night. A couple of nights we were not very hungry so we just went to the Horizon Court for a lite bite. Good luck with your packing ladies, I am off to go over my list and make sure I haven't left anything out.

The Princess and HAL ships have self service laundry.We are going to be away for two weeks. We will do laundry. I am bringing one pair of shorts for workouts,a bathing suit, one pair capris, 2 jeans,sweatshirts,fleece and my dinner clothes. The boots and jackets weigh so much so we must be careful for the flight weight allowances. We bought spacesaver bags to help get the bulky stuff in our suitcases.

I guess the main thing girls is to be comfortable, our weather here in Tennessee has been hot one day cold the next seems like. Yesterday I had the jeans out and sweatshirt, today shorts & T shirt, so go figure.

I just don't want to be cold, but I don't want to be uncomfortable and hot either. So layers like a lot of the people say I guess is what to go with.

Marcy,

19 days and you bet I'm counting;)

Hi gals, interesing and informative thread..thanks:)

I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow:D Seattle to Seattle...I am still

pinching myself LOL..I just booked this over the weekend!

As for clothing.....my TA has traveled to Alaska more than once and

she definitely told me....layer, layer, layer LOL

I am throwing in 2 pair of shorts..but they are not bulky. They

are actually soft and sort of feel like sweats...but are nicer.

As for my "Daytime clothes"....I don't wear jeans a whole lot here

at home but I will take a pair with me. My other daytime slacks

are "moleskin" if any of you have heard of that material..it is

fantastic. Soft...feels like suade BUT is washable, very easy to

pack, doesn't wrinkle and I have many colors too. Long sleeves

(turtle necks) and sweaters.....and I got a Fleece Jacket by

COLUMBIA at Kohls for only 18.00:D and a windbreaker for only 17.00!

I hope everyone has a wonderful time...I can't wait!:)

Hey Lois, we are practically neighbors. I'll be very interested to see what you think of the weather when you return. I also have several pairs of moleskin pants. I hadn't thought of taking them but will throw at least one pair in. You're right, they travel very nicely. Have a wonderful cruise and please report in when you return.:D

For excursions, may I suggest something other than jeans? We took a hiking excursion in the pouring rain, and if we had been in jeans we would have been as miserable as the folks who did - their pants got very wet, very heavy and very cold. Unless you're just going from the ship to a bus to another enclosed area, you stand a good chance of getting wet, and it's no fun!

We got some lightweight hiking pants from LL Bean that kept us nice and dry. In hindsight, a pair of long underwear would have been nice, but we were fine. Waterproof shoes are a good idea, too. I got a pair from LLBean that look like athletic shoes and can double as such, but have a waterproof lining, so my feet were happy, happy, happy!

Hi Marcy,

I'm a chronic over planner. So I've started a packing list 3 months ahead of time. After years of traveling for business, I really have packing down to a science, but my alaska cruise has me stumped. Mostly because my good friends went in July '04 and they were roasting in 75 - 80 degree weather and no summer clothes packed.

So, I've started a spread sheet of what I'm going to wear and have been whittling down to what I really need.

To answer your question. I'm packing one pair of capris and one pair of walking shorts. then one light pair of shorts for over my swim suit and I have a coverup that can pass for a short dress in a pinch. I'm also taking 2 tanks and sandals...none of which will take up much suit case room. That's it for my summer gear. I'm a workoutaholic, so I can use the extra shorts and tanks for workouts in the gym even if the weather doesn't call for it.

So I'm really working hard to keep the other stuff light. 3 dress tops/1black pant/1blackskirt/1cocktail dress and 1 pair of dress shoes-for night. 1jeans (plus the ones I'm wearing on)-3 tops-2(maybe one)sweater-1water proof jacket (very light weight). 1 pair walking shoes (wearing them on).

I want to get all my clothes into one carry on (flying from LAX to Vancouver). My luggage has been lost one time too many for me to risk it. I also like to lug my own suitcase to my cabin. So a lot of what I'm taking is mix match travel knit...which doesn't wrinkle even in an overpacked bag! I wrap in all in plastic bags and comes out of suitcase ready to wear.

Then I'll pack my extras like gloves, binocs, running shoes, and probably more last minute clothes...depending on what the weather report says the week of the cruise, etc in DH's bag ;)

IMACRUZRNOW,

How funny you sound like me, I've done a trial run on packing twice now and down to one big case and a carryon. I start a list and do the same thing too! When I'm going with a friend or several friends we talk about what were taking etc. They give me a hard time for starting 6 to 3 months before hand.

Some of them have wait til the day before to pack there suitcases. I'd be stressed and nuts if I had to do that.

I've always seem to pack so easy for the other cruises, but Alaska has got me sitting and wondering, should I take this or should I take that.

I'm up in the air about what jacket to take, due to space in the suitcase, but I'll figure out something before May 21st that's for sure.

One thing I'm not taking that a lot of people have suggested is a pair of boots. The only excurison that we are doing that might need them is Mendenhall Glacier & Gold Creek Salmon Bake and maybe the Gold Camp & White Pass Railroad.

Marcy

I am waving from Tampa!!! I have no idea what to pack. I bought some of those space saver bags and have a few things packed right now. I am going to wait a week and see if the air stayed out and how bad they wrinkled. If that test works I may try some of the other things I am thinking of taking with me. We are flying to Seatle and then sailing RCC round trip June 16th. It is our 30th anniversary! Packing for the Caribbean is much easier.

Cindy

Well hello to my neighbors in Florida:) (and everyone else too):D

Being in Florida is great...but we don't have clothes for Alaska LOL

pungo, I will be glad to let you know about the cruise upon my

return.

I do have plenty of sweaters, turtlenecks and pants though;)

pungo, for me....I can only do what is best for me...but jeans

are not as comfy for me as the moleskin pants.

I will bring a pair with me though...I have a pair of LEE that

are sort of relaxed so I wil bring them.

Do you have "TUESDAY MORNING" in Gainesville?

I found 2 of the most beautiful pullover sweaters there the

other day....I mean gorgeous.......they are both blue..one light

and the other dark. One is made in Italy...the other in Ireland.

When I tell you what I paid..you will faint LOL....8.98 for

one and 7.50 for the other.....unbelievable. They are sofffttt

and will be wonderful for layering. One is a silk blend..the other

is a cashmere blend. I almost jumped up and down in the store

when she told me the price:D

I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow.......I love dressing up for dinner

every night so my evening clothes are the same as any other

cruise! Just more things for the days this time.

Hi Lois. Yes, we have a Tuesday Morning. I'm headed there after work today. I hope they have some sweaters. As you know, this time of year in Florida, it's almost impossible to find warmer clothes.

I can't wait to hear about your cruise. It will be great to know how a Floridian did in the Alaska weather.:D

Hey tampacruiser! Sounds like you'll be headed to Seattle just about the time I'm coming back. I don't know if I'll have time to post any information for you before you leave. At least we'll both have some info from Lois.

It's great to have this thread. Some of the things mentioned here I would have never thought of on my own.

I have a question. I have noticed quite a few people are using the space saver bags. I know that they are very handy and useful. We moved to Venezuela for a little over a year. We had a furnished apt. provided by DH's company so all I had to bring were clothes. I was limited to the suitcases allowed by the airlines so I had to squeeze in so much in very little space. I used those space saver bags, and they were lifesavers! My question is this: How do they help for a cruise if you are not able to vacuum the air out again for the return home? I had a vacuum cleaner in Venezuela so I was able to get the air out again when we left. We will not have access to a vacuum cleaner onboard ship so how can we get the air out of those bags before we leave the ship? Does that question make sense to anyone else or am I misunderstanding what everyone is doing? I am just curious because I, too, am having Alaska packing problems!! I don't know how I am going to fit all of this in two suitcases!!!!! :eek:

You can buy the kind of Space Bags that have built in valves to release the air inside them. All you have to do is lean on them or roll them up slowly to release the air. I have even used 2 l/2 gallon zip lock bags. Works great for underwear and t-shirts.

Archived