I just wish I had remembered to pack ...

high seas gal

Almost every cruise there's one thing that I really wish I had remembered to pack, and that isn't available on board. Last cruise I forgot the small osscilating fan we use in our bedroom each night. Unfortunately ... we're addicted to it! Something similar ever happened to you? What did you forget?

Hairdryer. I have long hair and I have never had a shipboard hairdryer (and I honestly don't even know if Princess does. Since I am an RCI cruiser normally and it's been ages since I sailed Princess) that worked well enough to be worth leaving mine at home.

I've found every cruise one more item that would make it just a little better, and I keep them all in a mesh lingerie bag inside the suitcase. The little bag holds: a collapsable dirty clothes hamper, dryer sheets and detergent, nightlight, tiny battery-operated clock with light (remove battery when storing), sea sickness kit, plastic over-the-door hooks, and clothespin hooks for wet bathing suits. I Have even loaned the mesh bag full of goodies to friends going on their first cruise to make their trip a little better. :)

Forgot to take small nail scissors and tweezers on last trip, and believe it or not, they were "not available" in the on board shop.

I am busy compiling a list for next trip, will include needle and thread for loose buttons, two sided sticky tape for errant hems , tape to deal with sliding bras straps, cold medications for to deal ASAP with those sniffles.

Special emergency bag which will contain my passport, credit card, driving licence , medical information , and a credit card sized light. The Star episide made me realise I had never really given a thought to such a bag.

Last time I forgot the clock. I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night without turning on the TV.

The time before that it was really bad I forgot my shorts. I packed everyone else but forgot mine. So in St. Thomas I got a pair of flower and bird shorts not something I would only wear on a cruise. This year I found a white tee shirt with birds on it in the Princess store that matched perfect.

the sinus meds are important. All of a sudden I can't fly without intense pain from sinus pressure. Cough/throat drops, cold pills, tums, tylenol, bandaids,vitamin C too.

Last year I fell and badly scraped my knee my first day in Alaska, it got infected. If I'd had peroxide and Neosporin or Bacitracin I might not have this huge scar now. That stupid cut ruined many hours of a beautiful trip. It's hard to know what to bring so now I try to bring a little of everything in that department.

As a seasoned traveller from the UK, both land & sea, I too have a travel kit that stays in my suitcase.

Dual voltage hairdryer, kettle & iron, Mini fan, travel plugs & mossi plugs.

Photocopies of my passport, insurance, travel tickets & birth certificate.

Anti-histamins as Im allergic to insect bites & my wet shoes for days on the beach.

Echinacea tablets to keep the germs at bay & boost my immune system.

The one piece of my kit that always makes me popular is my corkscrew & bottle opener, the perfect invite to any party :) :) :)

This is so embarassing but aspirin. The husband with the headache did not like ships prices. He had to cruise a port for cheap aspirin. I was not amused. I now pack a medical kit with all the basics. I do not take pills unless I am really bad so did not think about it.

on our first cruise, my father forgot black socks - and oddly, they didnt sell them on the ship- so for the first couple nigts , he wore two pairs of my mums black knee high nylons. now, its the first thing in his suit case!

Hairdryer. I have long hair and I have never had a shipboard hairdryer (and I honestly don't even know if Princess does. Since I am an RCI cruiser normally and it's been ages since I sailed Princess) that worked well enough to be worth leaving mine at home.

My wife has long hair- mid back- and she said the hair dryer was fine....I would still take one anyway.

Duct tape. I never leave home without it. We were cruising to Alaska so there was plenty of it available in Ketchikan. It came in handy when my husband's suitcase had a close encounter with a forklift somewhere between the ship and Anchorage.

For those of you who pack coffee makers, kettles, etc., this is from the MIAB recommendations in reference to the Star fire:

h. Re-emphasize to crew and passengers the hazards of using unauthorized heating elements such as electrical heating coils used in cups or mugs and open flames such as candles.

You might re-consider bringing these items.

I always bring binoculars and I always use them. This last cruise, I forgot them. :( They are now in "the list" to not forget them in the future.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I'm going to jot down a list and have it ready for packing. The nail clippers, double sided tape, sinus meds, and a little first aid kit are surely important. I hadn't thought about a travel clock with a light. And a flashlight as well.

Also heard an interesting bit on the radio today. Here in the San Francisco bay area they are planning a Sunday brunch cruise (not a big cruise ship) for people with dogs!

Last year we remembered to bring wine and forgot the corkscrew. We couldn't find a corkscrew at any of the ports we visited (Mexican Riviera). Everytime we wanted to open a bottle of wine we had to bring the bottle to one of the bars (they didn't want us to borrow their corkscrew and not return it). This past cruise we remembered the corkscrew. Just remember to pack it in your checked luggage otherwise it will be confiscated at the airport!

don't flame me if this is way back there.:rolleyes: . don't have time to read it all..[/color]

Don't forget those $1.00 throw-away rain ponchos you can get at Walgreen, Walmart etc... they are so lightweight you can carry 'em anywhere and I've had mine for at least 10 cruises and not used them.. so they also act as "anti-rain dancers";)

yes a small pair of scissors that i trim mustache with,figured ship would have some ,but nooooo,grrrr,anyway thats my fault,always take your stuff,never rely on the ship to have it lol:)))):rolleyes:

I bought a beautiful formal black gown. Unfortunately, I forgot the black bra to go under it...and yes, you needed it because you could see the white one quite clearly...so I searched in every port, and could not for the life of me find one...so just hung it up when we came home and booked another cruise to wear it on...That was several cruises ago....I have worn it on most of them...Ha..

Archived