Shipping your luggage ahead of you

Tom O.

I recently discovered what could be a valuable service for some people. It is called Cruisehippers: http://www.cruiseshippers.com/

They pick up your luggage from your home, and the next time you see it is in your stateroom. When you return, you drop it off at their booth at the pier and they ship it home for you. They ship it FEDEX and they charge per pound. It is a pricey service. The cost for domestic service (from a U.S. home to a U.S. port) is $1.35 per pound each way. This for their 7 day service. It is much more expensive to ship to ports outside of the U.S.

This avoids having to haul your luggage to the airport, claiming your luggage at the aiport, hauling your luggage to the pier, and then doing the whole thing again on the way home. It would also avoid paying overweight fees to the airline, if you are in that situation.

I am not recommending this service because I have never used it, but I find it very appealing. For most people, it would probably be too expensive, but for anyone, who for health reasons, has difficulty handling luggage it would really be worthwhile. And if you are planning on having to pay the overweight fee at the aiport, then this service might pay for itself.

If anybody has used this service I would be interested in hearing about their experiences.

Although it certainly sounds appealing not to have to lug the luggage ourselves (not as young as I used to be), it wouldn't work for us, as it would be too expensive.

Most of our cruises are "exotics", and the distance/charges would be prohibitive, I think.

How come you can ship your luggage because the new security in airlines is that you have to be in the same airplane than your luggage

More explanation is necessary

I recently discovered what could be a valuable service for some people. It is called Cruisehippers: http://www.cruiseshippers.com/

They pick up your luggage from your home, and the next time you see it is in your stateroom. When you return, you drop it off at their booth at the pier and they ship it home for you. They ship it FEDEX and they charge per pound. It is a pricey service. The cost for domestic service (from a U.S. home to a U.S. port) is $1.35 per pound each way. This for their 7 day service. It is much more expensive to ship to ports outside of the U.S.

This avoids having to haul your luggage to the airport, claiming your luggage at the aiport, hauling your luggage to the pier, and then doing the whole thing again on the way home. It would also avoid paying overweight fees to the airline, if you are in that situation.

I am not recommending this service because I have never used it, but I find it very appealing. For most people, it would probably be too expensive, but for anyone, who for health reasons, has difficulty handling luggage it would really be worthwhile. And if you are planning on having to pay the overweight fee at the aiport, then this service might pay for itself.

If anybody has used this service I would be interested in hearing about their experiences.

How come you can ship your luggage because the new security in airlines is that you have to be in the same airplane than your luggage

and how would the airline know that you shipped your luggage separately???

Your luggage is shipped by Fedex as an ordinary package delivery. It is delivered to the ship by fedex and the ship puts it in your room. No airline is involved. You will still have your carryon luggage with you at the airport.

:eek: Why do you think that?:eek:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I am pleased to have the opportunity to

assist you.

I can appreciate your concern that your baggage didn't arrive on the same flight you

did on XXXXXXX and I apologize for any inconvenience. Let me explain further.

First, allow me to assure you that the safety and security of our passengers is our

number one priority. We are fully complying with all Transportation Security

Administration (TSA) procedures concerning baggage security matters. For security

reasons, prior to February 15, 2004 a customer could not elect to separate from their

bag. For instance, if a customer arrived at the airport with enough time to take an

earlier flight but they had already checked their bag on their originally scheduled

flight, we couldn't allow the customer to travel without their baggage. However,

baggage security procedures have been refined and enhanced and this particular policy

was changed accordingly. Now, since February of last year, customers who wish to

stand by for an earlier flight can do so. The customer's baggage will be transported

on the flight that appears on the bag tag given at the time of check in.

In addition, unrelated to the standby scenario, on occasion our personnel may elect to

forward baggage on an earlier flight to ensure that it arrives at the destination in a

timely manner. Some criteria for forwarding baggage on earlier flights includes load

factors, weight and balance considerations and other operational issues. Likewise, if

operational constraints prevent us from boarding a customer's bag on their scheduled

flight and we find it necessary to transport their bag on a later flight, TSA security

procedures do allow for this activity. Please be assured that we would never choose

to send luggage on an alternate flight if we had any security concerns.

Mrs. XXXXXX, thank you for allowing me to respond to this important issue. Everyone

here at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is fully committed to providing our customers with the

safest possible air travel experience.

:rolleyes: p.s.: You may also be interested in scanning the Celebrity Cruises threads for

Luggage Valet
- Celebrity is introducing "Onboard Check-in and Luggage Valet" service! (When do you think PCL will upgrade?)?:rolleyes:

Although it certainly sounds appealing not to have to lug the luggage ourselves (not as young as I used to be), it wouldn't work for us, as it would be too expensive.

Most of our cruises are "exotics", and the distance/charges would be prohibitive, I think.

Just an FYI. We, too, only do "exotic" cruises. If you really want to do this, use the post office. Yes, the US post office. You will have to box the luggage, but surface rates (2-4 weeks, depending on destination) are about 1/4 of FedEX rates AND about 1/6 the luggage service shipping rates. Even Priority Mail (10 days max) is about 2/3 the UPS/FedEX rate. Purchase the insurance to the REAL value of your luggage and contents. You will need a hotel that will accept your luggage shipments.

I use the Post Office (from all over the world) frequently for business shipments and extra luggage. Have only had one shipment "misplaced" and it really wasn't misplaced-hung up in Customs. I had improperly labeled-my mistake. If you are shipping your own clothes INTO the US, you must write personal clothes-USED on the Customs papers. I had just written clothes.

One other thing-read the fine print if you are contemplating using a luggage service. Often, the insurance limitation is $1000.00 per piece without purchasing extra and VERY expensive coverage. Formal wear and one decent suitcase often will exceed the insurance limitation.

What a great idea. But another $200 (using the airline weight limit) just starts adding to the total. Knowing me, then I would be packing like crazy and the 200 would be $400:eek:

The only other thing would be, not getting your luggage back for 7 days.:(

Back in the hayday of the dot com era, when paycheques were stratospheric, I used to do this when travelling for multi-week postings. I used a large duffle bag and would ship everything using a big FedEx golf bag shipping bag.

It was a nice break from schlepping luggage through airports, especially since I'm somewhat handicapped, but it was pretty expensive.

Even so, it still might be worth it for someone like me, who finds luggage issues unexplainably stressful. I'm trying to pack lighter, but I may look into this new service just to avoid stressing about what I have to leave behind to qualify my case for carry-on.

Just an FYI. We, too, only do "exotic" cruises. If you really want to do this, use the post office. Yes, the US post office. You will have to box the luggage, but surface rates (2-4 weeks, depending on destination) are about 1/4 of FedEX rates AND about 1/6 the luggage service shipping rates. Even Priority Mail (10 days max) is about 2/3 the UPS/FedEX rate. Purchase the insurance to the REAL value of your luggage and contents. You will need a hotel that will accept your luggage shipments.

I use the Post Office (from all over the world) frequently for business shipments and extra luggage. Have only had one shipment "misplaced" and it really wasn't misplaced-hung up in Customs. I had improperly labeled-my mistake. If you are shipping your own clothes INTO the US, you must write personal clothes-USED on the Customs papers. I had just written clothes.

One other thing-read the fine print if you are contemplating using a luggage service. Often, the insurance limitation is $1000.00 per piece without purchasing extra and VERY expensive coverage. Formal wear and one decent suitcase often will exceed the insurance limitation.

When you use the post-office where do you have it sent too? Can you send it to the pier? How does it get into your stateroom?

Oops, I just noticed that you said you send it to a hotel. It that is the case, then it is not as convenient as a shipping service that will place it in your cabin.

An important point, for sure. It looks like the above mentioned shipping company has fairly reasonable insurance, at $1.50 per $100 extra coverage, but it's a good point to truly add up the value of what's being shipped and insure accordingly.

My parents just did a cruise where they shipped one suitcase to the hotel (we always try to overnight at least one night before departure - cuts way down on flight delay agony). They just used the regular parcel shipping place (UPS).

-----Burton

when we got our documents there was a insert in there that said, starting

may 13 2006 that you would not have to claim your luggage at the

Vancouver airport. That if you bought the transfers princess would deliver

it to your state room. you even had a special place to go through

customs if you Had a direct flight from a u.s. airport.

greg

Archived