Tablemates on all cruises?

mexico5

Hi, this is my first post. I have never been on a cruise so I have this question. I think we have narrowed down our search to Princess, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. I think I would go with Celebrity but I am concerned about having to eat with strangers at dinner every night.

So for you experts out there what would you suggest based on this criteria?

1. No tablemates(do not care about dinner times or having to dress formal, just want to dine by ourselves.

2. The ship with the least amount of party people. More laid back, upscale and relaxing(if that is possible).

Thank you

Hi Mexico5,

All of your descriptors match Celebrity to a 'T'. It is very laid back, slightly more upscale (at least in ambiance and decor), and definitely relaxing. We don't go on a cruise to 'party', but have met some wonderful folks and have had some great times with them during pre and post dinner cocktails.

Tables for two are a little hard to come by regardless of the cruise line. I don't think you need to worry about who you will be dining with; I have had great tablemates on every one of our Celebrity cruises. Notice I said CELEBRITY cruises. On a couple of our other experiences, we were not so fortunate. Even if you wound up with incompatible tablemates, you can always request and receive a change from the asst. maitre 'd. Part of the fun of cruising is meeting other people and listening to their stories. That's one of the reasons I like to go to the dining room for lunch: sitting with and making aquaintance with new people.

Good luck on your first cruise, no matter what line you select. You'll be hooked! :)

cheers~

In my experience, if you TA asks for a 2 person table, they will make every possible effort to accomadate you. We love a nice quite dinner and have always asked for a 2 person table and recieved it. Celebrity seems to have more options on this aspect than others.

As far as the party aspect goes, it greatly depends on what time of year and the location you cruise. I have only had experience with RCCL and Celebrity, but have had friends on Princess. Celebrity tends to be the quitier of the 3.

Hope this helps!

If you do not want to dress for dinner, Celebrity is not the best choice.

And if you prefer to dine when you please, perhaps Princess and Personal Choice - where you can request a table for 2 each evening - might work.

I love traditional dining and dressing for dinner so Celebrity and HAL both work for me. And tables for 2 are not the easiest thing to come by so make sure your TA gets your requests in early.

Hi.. I think Celebrity would be a great choice for you. There is less rowdiness than on some other lines Ive been on. I can understand that you may be a little shy about strangers, but the trip on the ship gives you a lot to converse about. It has been my experience that one of the most pleasant aspects of cruising is the people that you dine with. You can share the events of the day and in many cases learn about another area of the country or even the world.. 15 days till we leave on the Infinity to Alaska!! John

We just returned from celebrity, we had requested a table for two but found we were seated at a table for six when we got to the dining room. Initially I was a little disappointed but our table mates were great and we stayed there for the entire cruise. On two previous cruises we had travelled with friends and requested tables for four each time. Our request were met both times.

Personally, I agree with Caviargal and the advice she has given you. You said you don't care about dining times and dressing up. But, Celebrity has fixed dining times and Celebrity is one of the most dressy of all the mass market lines. Yes, you can have a table for two on Celebrity and they are more laid back and upscale, but you'll have a fixed dining time, and they have three kinds of required dress in the evening---formal, informal/semi formal, and casual. If dressing up isn't your thing and you want a more flexible dining schedule, then I would guide you towards Princess.

To each their own but, we've found that dining with other cruisers has been one of the highlights of our cruises.

We tried a table for 6 on our first cruise without the kids or their traveling companions from home - which was our 4th cruise. Since then we've found that dinner with table-mates has been the highlight of our cruises. Things sometimes seem a little bit odd and slow going the first, sometimes the second night, but thereafter it seems like the conversation really picks up and by the end of the cruise it's like we're old friends.

Things have been slightly different the last couple cruises. We met a few people through this web site, and its roll calls for past cruises, that we've become "cruise friends" with. We cruised with them the past two cruises and have sat at dinner together. Still we've sat with other people at the table and enjoyed each others company. My recommendation is to give it a shot. If you dislike it, ask the matre'd to change tables or move you to a table for two. Our experience is that the service staff on Celebrity tend to be very accommodating.

Late seating seems to offer a better chance for a two person table. My wife and I have experienced both options.

One cruise we were seated at a four person table with a non-English speaking couple. Another time, we were the only English speaking couple at a table with eight French speakers. All it took was a simple request to get moved to another table. In both cases, they made the move on the first night, even before dinner really got started.

In general, we have really enjoyed all our table mates - even the ones we couldn't communicate with. :)

If you really don't match with your tablemates, just request a change.

I have cruised on Princess 4 times, RCCL 4 times, HAL once and Celebrity once. Each time my family - parents, my sister and me, have requested a table for 4 and we have always been given a table for 4.

My upcoming cruise my husband and I are seating at a larger table and we are looking forward to having a wonderful group of table mates.

We always ask for a large (8) person table. We like to meet people.

Table for two is like us eating in our kitchen. Table for 4 is a crapshoot.

(Gay couple vs the rest of the world) Table for 8 has without fail made for an interesting mix of people.

On every cruise I have taken I have had the best people at my table. Last year I assumed it would be a disaster when on the late seating four adults sat down with a 8 month old baby in a stroller. Granted my kids 15 and 12 were with me but this is a stretch from a baby. Anyway this lil guy slept through dinner and if he did wake up there was nothing but smiles and cooing. What was the most impressive was the parents and grandparents and the love and respect they had for each other and how they pitched in to share in the responsibilities of caring for that lil one. I pointed out to my 2 how wonderful it is to see a family that actually enjoys being together and by the end of the trip we felt like we were part of the family too.

On another note - when I tried NCL Freestyle 2 years ago my daughter and I throughly enjoyed a game we started. All the tables with 2 people sitting together we would pick them out and count which ones were actually talking to each other. If you found a table where the couple was having a conversation that was worth points. Most of them were staring out the window or looking at the food. Perhaps tablemates might have been a blessing for these people and there were a lot of them. Young and old.

My wife and I have cruised 17 times and always request a large table. Meeting other cruisers, sharing shore excursion, shopping stories, and backgrounds is enjoyable. We are from Toronto and met wonderful people from everywhere. On one cruise the maitre d thought it would be interesting to put all the foreigners at one table. We sat with a couple from Israel, one from South Africa, and one from England. We have enjoyed the company of newlyweds, seniors, IRS employees (who were worried about smuggling in too much jewelry), and from people from all over the U. S. On one cruise we sat with a college football coach, and a married couple both in the Canadian military. He came from Afganistan and she from Bosnia and met in Ft Lauderdale to take their holiday together cruising.

Our only uncomfortable experience was early in our cruising days when we sat at a table for 4 and the other couple were a little strange. It got a little stranger when he called his girlfriend by his ex wifes name. We laugh about it now but it was weird.

My wife and I have cruised 17 times and always request a large table. Meeting other cruisers, sharing shore excursion, shopping stories, and backgrounds is enjoyable. We are from Toronto and met wonderful people from everywhere. On one cruise the maitre d thought it would be interesting to put all the foreigners at one table. We sat with a couple from Israel, one from South Africa, and one from England. We have enjoyed the company of newlyweds, seniors, IRS employees (who were worried about smuggling in too much jewelry), and from people from all over the U. S. On one cruise we sat with a college football coach, and a married couple both in the Canadian military. He came from Afganistan and she from Bosnia and met in Ft Lauderdale to take their holiday together cruising.

Our only uncomfortable experience was early in our cruising days when we sat at a table for 4 and the other couple were a little strange. It got a little stranger when he called his girlfriend by his ex wifes name. We laugh about it now but it was weird.

TOSailors, that story made me literally laugh:D

I would love to sit with ya'll on a cruise...sounds as though

you are "good people":)

Just a few more notes:

You can also take a break from the tablemates by dining in the Specialty Restaurant or the "Casual Dining Restaurant" or the Sushi buffet...

The dress codes really aren't that bad...For the "informal nights", I really just wear the same thing as on casual nights (Dockers and a sport shirt) but throw a tweed sports jacket over it...Formal night just means a suit or a tux...I'd rather be casual, but you get accustomed to it...sort of a traditional thing with cruises...

When we first started cruising, my wife, who is fairly introverted by nature, was unsure about dining "with strangers"...but we ended up with a great table...and, ever since then, she demands a LARGE table...You really get accustomed to it quickly...as others have said, part of the fun of a cruise...and, by the second night, they're not strangers anymore...But, we do usually take one break and eat in the specialty restaurant--an elegant dinner to celebrate a birthday or anniversary (We usually sail July and August...and our anniversary is in July and my wife's Birthday is in August)...

As far as the more refined crowd...of those you're considering, definitely Celebrity...

Good luck...

I took the OP to mean they were fine with having to dress formally. They also don't care, if they get early or late seating. The one thing they do care about is a table for 2.

It sounds like Celebrity would be a perfect fit for you, with the exception of the table size. We're 2 for 3 on X. One cruise, we requested a table for 5 with some friends we met on the Roll Call & got it. Another cruise we requested a table for 2 & also got that. On our last cruise, our request for a table for 2 wasn't met. FWIW, our requests were met on Infinity & Century, but not Mercury. I totally understand you wanting a table for 2. I don't know what your situation is, but some people have kids at home & don't have an opportunity for intimate dinners alone. Others have one spouse working very long hours or even on the road most of the time, & cruise to bond as a couple. I'm sure people have other reasons. To better your chances for your table size request, you need to book a suite or book far in advance & have your TA document it at the time of booking. Good luck with your choice. Your 1st cruise won't be your last. :D

Hi, this is my first post. I have never been on a cruise so I have this question. I think we have narrowed down our search to Princess, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. I think I would go with Celebrity but I am concerned about having to eat with strangers at dinner every night.

So for you experts out there what would you suggest based on this criteria?

1. No tablemates(do not care about dinner times or having to dress formal, just want to dine by ourselves.

2. The ship with the least amount of party people. More laid back, upscale and relaxing(if that is possible).

Thank you

Isn't it wonderful how people are so different!! We can all love cruising but for entirely different reasons! :D

We (my mother and I) have sailed on Celebrity twice and are booked on RCCL in 2007. When we cruise (or go on any vacation), it's to spend time together since we live some distance apart now. Another reason we cruise is to enjoy the awesome beauty of Alaska! We are polite and converse with others when the occasion arises, but meeting other people is not our top priority.

On our first cruise, we were with a group and seated at a table for 6. We hadn't met our table mates (from the group) before that cruise but they were fine. On the second cruise we were at a table for 6 again, this time we weren't with any group. It was a little unusual, as one couple was young and into themselves :o and the other couple was older and into talking about themselves, alot :rolleyes: . The evenings weren't unpleasant, but at times uncomfortable. We did look forward to dinner, but it was the food, not the company, that was the reason.

Dress on Celebrity is more formal in general, but I only found out after we were home from the last cruise that we could have eaten in the buffet restaurant, which was converted to a casual dining in the evening. It is my understanding that you get your own salad, but they serve the rest of the meal. If we had know, that is where we would have dined most nights, because we wouldn't have had to bring the formal clothes (less luggage is a good thing! :D ) and we could eat anytime and with just ourselves if that is what we wanted.

I can't speak to Princess personally, but personal choice dining sounds attractive to me. The only reason we didn't consider them for our 2007 cruise is their Alaska itineraries weren't attractive to us.

My suggestion would be to continue to read these boards alot! They contain a wealth of information!

We have always requested a table for 8 or 10 when it is just the 2 of us traveling as meeting new friends is part of the cruise fun.

When we travel with the family we ask for a table for all of us together from 6 to 9 depending on how many go on the cruise. We tried any time dinning on Princess last Oct with the family and turned it into formal dinning as we requested the same table at 8pm everynight. Loved it.

Only once in our 8 cruises together have we had to request a new table and that was with HAL and not because the table mates were unpleasant but just about 30 yrs older than us and were non-drinkers. Well we love our wine with dinner and a cocktail before, so we were able to move. If fact the Maitr'd took us around the dinning room showing us where there was room for us to join a table. The one we chose had 2 bottles of wine on it already and lots of laughter. the next 17nights we had the best table ever.

So if you don't get a table for 2 just ask for a change but do try a larger table you might just make friends for future cruises.

Francine

Our latest cruise on the Zenith was probably our best ever tablewise.

It was me and my partner Bob, sailing with our close friend John.

At the table with us were 2 sisters who were originally from the Bahamas,

although one had moved to Texas, a married couple from Chile, and a newlywed couple from Belfast.

I don't know... I've said it before and I'll say it again. When we go to a local restaurant for dinner, we don't sit with strangers. Why would we want to on a cruise?

Call us antisocial or whatever, but it's just not our style. We always request a table for two and we'd be very uncomfortable and unhappy if forced to sit at a larger table. We would rather spend our vacation time together.

Most ships (many cruiselines) we have sailed have the two seat tables in the worst possible dining room locations (busy high traffic areas). Try joining others for dinner at a larger table and if you really don't like your tablemates, asked to be switched to another table, or take advantage of the casual alternative, or speciality restaurant dining.

Kenneth and Tammy,

You hit the nail on the head! I agree with everything in your post and you read my post to a tee. My husband works very hard and has to make small talk for business, why would he want to have to pretend to be interested in other people's conversations? He has to do that with me enough!

Like another poster said, why would we go into a nice place to eat and sit with strangers? We have lots of friends at home to go out and dine with.

Also, I cannot tolerate women who wear tons of perfume and I have to say, it seems the older they are, the more they put on! I do not want to take that chance.

Vacation is all about what suits you.

You hit the nail on the head! I agree with everything in your post and you read my post to a tee. My husband works very hard and has to make small talk for business, why would he want to have to pretend to be interested in other people's conversations? He has to do that with me enough! Like another poster said, why would we go into a nice place to eat and sit with strangers? We have lots of friends at home to go out and dine with...Vacation is all about what suits you.

I guess, maybe then, the typical cruise is NOT the vacation that "suits" you...

Cruises tend to be an extremely "social" vacation...

You share tables at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...you sit next to others at the shows...You go on shore excursions with others...

Sure, you can temper the amount of socialization up or down: You MIGHT get a Table for two...You can book your own private excursions in port...You can sun on your balcony rather than on the pool deck with others...

But, for the most part, cruising with 2,000 other passengers is just not a vacation of solitude and introspection...

And, yes, the Dining Rooms are generally set up for this sort of socialization with strangers...It's been that way since the inception of Cruising...Go rent "Titanic" for goshsakes...Even there, the rich and famous shared tables with others...

If what you want is a solitary vacation experience, you can...

Charter a private yacht...or...

I know a number of rather exclusive resorts where you can rent a private bungalow with a private beach and jacuzzi and have dinner catered to your suite each night...

But, seriously, if your idea of a vacation is one of avoiding other people, a cruise ship most likely will NEVER "suit" you...

Now, for extroverts like ME, I love cruising...Yes, during the rest of the year, both my wife and I are working and we don't get as much time together...(especially stress-free time together), but, when we cruise, we get plenty of time together...some of it ALONE together (in our cabin or on our balcony or in a port where we're not doing an excursion)...and some of it TOGETHER AND WITH OTHERS...We love dining TOGETHER AND with others...Part of it is socializing as a couple with other people...We work well together AS A COUPLE in social situations and we most certainly enjoy the traditional cruise dining experience--which we find adds to, rather than detracts from, our personal chemistry...

But, again, if you're the type that shies away from that social interaction, perhaps sharing a cruise with 2,000 others is NOT the right vacation for you...

Archived