Pics Of Century

mc-cruiser

the Century is our favorite ship! It was somewhat hard to see those pictures but looking forward to watching the progress as the work is completed. Can't wait to sail on her again sometime in the furture.

Thanks so much for sharing these photos. It's hard to believe this is the same ship we were on in January. I am pretty sure I can see the balcony they are adding for us on our next sailing!

Hi Goouchjac !

Clearly they arent listening to you, as Celebrity just scheduled Century to do more 4/5 night itineraries for 2007/2008 from Miami. I agree that Century should not be doing short sailings, especially as she is being refurbished now. I would have had another C-Class ship (Galaxy) or perhaps Zenith do it again next season.

At the VERY least, I wish Celebrity would have thrown in a few 9 night sailings into Century's mix, in place of a 4/5 night combination. This way, they could have pleased everyone, but that would have made too much sense.

Fortunately, she will be sailing longer trips in 2007 once the Century repositions to Europe. We just booked the Med for 11 days and there is also a 10 day itinerary.

I love these pictures, as I've booked one of those new aft balcony cabins so I can't wait to see them completed!

Thanks for the great photos. I just looked at pic 5 of the Island Cafe (or whatever it's called) and nearly fell off my chair laughing. Amongst all the chaos of the refit, the bowls with ornamental fruit are still on the top of the serving shelf!

As a retired project engineer, I'm also interested in the purpose of the "ducktail" addition. Has anything been written about this? My semi-educated guess is that it may eliminate or reduce the vibrations that sometime occur when changing speed up or down. Anyone know the real story? Does it give "better mileage"?

The photos are great. Most people can not begin to appreciate the coordination that is required of a project this complicated. I'd love to see the project Gantt chart.(detailed timeline)

Hi Everyone !

I was very fascinated as well, with the question of why a ducktail was necessary, and what does it do. When I was on Century a few months ago, one of my goals, was to get as much information about the revitilization as possible. I did put the question to some of the staff, whom I thought would know the answer.

The answer that was given, was ... due to the renovations and additional weight added to the ship, the added ducktail would give Century greater balance and stability at sea.

As for speed, I was told the maximum speed of Century post renovations, would decrease by .1 knot. That is excellent, considering the extra weight added.

I hope this sheds some light on the question.

Have been checking the progress of the re-build since the website was posted a few days ago - thanks for the lead. We've sailed on Century five times since her inaugural year (most recently, this past December) and watching the transformation is fascinating, to say the least. Guess I've gotten spoiled over the last couple of days - they haven't posted new pix in a day or so and I'm really ticked!

This is wonderful! We'll be on the Century for the Westbound transatlantic on October 27. Watching the day to day progress here will make our first Century trip that much better. Watching the development of the new Verandas is amazing. Anyone else going with us?

Seems incredible that in just 20 days time I shall be sailing on Century, but seeing the progress made over the past 11 days makes me so excited. Watching the day to day progress on these pics is staggering and what a feat of project management!

:p

Any idea of how many people are working? What a treat to see the pictures....I never knew it would be this extensive. Thanks!

Hi Cruzin !

From the looks of things, it looks like they have a million people working on the project :)

Seriously, I knew this was going to be a HUGE job. With that said, as you can see in the photos, it is truly amazing how much hard work, planning, materials, engineering, and execution go into a project of this magnitude. It is clear, that everything must go off with little to no delay, or the whole project would have problems. It is amazing to see that all of this can be done in roughly 30 days !

I would like to congratulate everyone at Celebrity, and Fincantieri, and anyone else I am missing, on this incredible effort. I cant wait to be on Century again !

I am on Century again in November. (As you already know Andy!):D

Hi Ed !

Yes I do, and you are one lucky guy :)

This is wonderful! We'll be on the Century for the Westbound transatlantic on October 27. Watching the day to day progress here will make our first Century trip that much better. Watching the development of the new Verandas is amazing. Anyone else going with us?

Hi Peggy!

I'm going. :) As of this AM this is the latest count:

As of 11-May-2006, 20 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Century departing 27-Oct-2006.

The closer you get to 25 guests, the closer you'll be to meeting your new friends during a complimentary onboard party.

Only 5 more to go.

Celebrity's Century Adds

Specialty Restaurant in Renovation

Celebrity Cruises’ $55-million, five-week revitalization of the Century will include the new Murano specialty restaurant, named for the Murano glass chandeliers that will adorn its interior.

The restaurant’s vestibule will have a granite floor, pear wood panels and a round, granite medallion of jewel-toned stone designed to resemble the antique paving of medieval European cities. The theme of the room’s décor will be early explorations of the New World.

A hand-painted mural at the end of the 66-seat venue will display silhouettes depicting travel and adventure stories, while a wine cellar at the aft end of the restaurant will feature backlit bottles in glass-fronted, nickel wine armoires.

The menu for Murano will be designed by Celebrity’s longtime culinary and wine consultant, Master Chef Michel Roux. The cuisine and service will follow the style of Celebrity’s Millennium-class specialty restaurants, including tableside cooking, carving and flambé.

Century’s two-level Grand Restaurant will be entirely refurbished and a 76-seat sushi bar will feature caramel-colored bamboo plank floors, tabletops inlaid with cracked coconut, dark wood chairs and a new collection of artifacts and artwork.

Century’s Ocean Grill, designed by Celebrity’s Fleet Design department will offer an alternative dining area serving steaks, chops, salads, antipastos and desserts from a fixed menu.

Opposite Ocean Grill is a station serving made-to-order omelettes and crepes for breakfast, and pizzas and made-to-order pastas for lunch and dinner, while an ice cream and sorbet station will be around the corner.

Century’s outdoor Sunset Bar will serve tapas and appetizers along with its beverages. It will be made of teak, stone and stainless steel, topped with an arched-glass canopy.

Cova Café, an onboard outlet of the coffeehouse in the fashion district of Milan, will serve fresh pastries and cookies to complement its coffees, teas, and other beverages every morning and afternoon, while at night, the space will become a wine bar with live music.

For teen cruisers, the renovated ship will have the “X-Treme” teen lounge and video arcade. The dedicated space will include a dance floor, video arcade, juice bar, jukebox, and karaoke, along with computers offering Internet access.

The ship’s five-week drydock is scheduled to be completed May 30, when it is set to depart on a 9-night European cruise.

New Suites

In addition to the new and renovated dining facilities, the ship will have 314 new verandas, 14 new suites, 10 new staterooms ranging from inside to veranda category, an expanded number of Concierge Class category staterooms, and features and amenities of the Millennium-class fleet.

Century’s summer schedule includes a series of 12-night Baltic and 10- and 11-night Mediterranean sailings, a 13-night “Best of Europe” voyage and a 7-night Norwegian Fjords cruise.

The vessel will then offer 4- and 5-day Caribbean cruises roundtrip from the Port of Miami beginning in November.

Martini ‘Ice Bar’ imageutil?articleID=7496&layoutNo=1

The Martini Bar onboard Celebrity’s “new” Century will include what the line is calling “the first ‘ice bar’ concept at sea.”

The Martini Bar will have a liquid wall that freezes to a crystalline appearance and a bar counter that freezes into ice-cold stone, while a solid block of ice will display bottles of liquor behind the bar.

Kinetic lighting will make changes in the color and appearance of the bar, which will offer Celebrity’s menu of more than 30 versions of the martini.

Archived