Suffleboard?? Embarasssed !!!!

sail7seas

Isn't it funny how some folks are embarrassed to say they enjoy playing shuffleboard but every ship has it available. DH and I used to play and enjoy. Why do we think of it as only for the very senior set? It's fun!!! On our recent cruises, we forgot about it but when we play, we have fun!!!

Its only embarrassing when the little thing goes zinging out of control and hits innocent people walking by, or when you are going to give it all you have to hit DHs little things out of the box and you miss, and it then goes airborne and hits more innocent people walking by.

I was very embarrassed on the Amsterdam when shuffleboard was a part of our final Survivor Challenge ... a sort of mix of various challenges. We had to hit the disk from one court over to the other, and get it between the lines of that second court. Get it between the lines? Heck, I didn't have enough upper body strength to even push it over to the other court. After about ten tries, and only getting the disk into the first court, the ACD felt sorry for me and told me to just run over to the next "challenge." Thankfully, I did that one okay ... dunking a basketball. That one only took me three tries.

Needless to say, I wasn't crowned as "Amsterdam Survivor." I did get a nice little certificate, though, for my good efforts. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

"Eh? Eh? Speak up! Duffle board?"

--"Shuffle, you old goat. Shuffle."

"That's all I can do is shuffle.

--"Shuffle board. Board. Board!"

"That's what I am on this stupid cruise. Bored."

--"It's a game men and women play. Shuffle board."

"Oh, broads! They don't shuffle; they jiggle. So do the fat men."

--"It's easy. You just push your stick real hard."

"Eh?"

--"And try to get the most points. It's easy."

"So these broads are shuffling and I grab my stick and make points, eh?

--"Let me wrap this blanket around you and enjoy the ocean view."

Why would anyone be embarressed to say they like this game?

I never thought of it as only for seniors. I have seen different ages playing. Perhaps I am a senior in other peoples eyes. :D

I am not exactly great at it, but I enjoy it.

my hubby and i are going on the veendam in dec, the 9-16th and I was just looking to see if they have this on the veendam.

can anyone let me know??? do they???

btw, all though I often feel old, i'm really only 43,but never thought of shuffleboard as a game that had an age group.

i read in someones reply ALL ships have this, this is not true, I was on the norwegian majesty dec of last year and was surprised not to find something that would be so cheap to install and upkeep and they had plenty of room for it.

thanx for asking.

my hubby and i are going on the veendam in dec, the 9-16th and I was just looking to see if they have this on the veendam.

btw, all though I often feel old, i'm really only 43,but never thought of shuffleboard as a game that had an age group.

i read in someones, reply ALL ships have this, this is not true, I was on the norwegian majesty dec of last year and was surprised not to find something that would be so cheap to install and upkeep and they had plenty of room for it.

thanx for asking.

i read in someones, reply ALL ships have this, this is not true, I was on the norwegian majesty dec of last year and was surprised not to find something that would be so cheap to install and upkeep and they had plenty of room for it.

thanx for asking.

Yes Berniemom, as far as I know, they have the courts on all HAL ships up on the Sports or Observation Decks (Vista class). I don't think it's a game exclussively for seniors. It takes hand to eye coordination and is harder than it looks. When we were on Cunard's Sagafjord a while back, we had a passenger "pick-up team" and played just about every day. We wound up challenging the crew and beat them;) The game I didn't/don't care about is quoits:eek:

Thanks john for letting me know.

another question? what is quoit?

Quoits is similar to ring or horse shoe pitching - I didn't have the patience for it and at times, felt like pitching those #@%$@ rope rings overboard in to the Atlantic. Wasn't my game but hey, to each his own!;)

Here's a link to the rules:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761566796/Horseshoe_Pitching.html

99360a.jpg

FYI the equipment on the HAL Rotterdam was superior to the equipment on RCI. Also, after playing for years on RCI or X I actually learned how to correctly keep score on HAL (that 10 off thing). We play it on sea days, because I am not a lay by the pool guy. I am 47 BTW.:D

jc

RCCL Adventure of the Seas has shuffleboard on their promenade deck. We saw several families playing the game as well as some couples of various ages. (There is room to walk around the courts, but I would be sure to not walk until someone had made their shot) They posted the rules of the game on the wall next to the rack where supplies were kept.

I tried quoits on my first HAL cruise. Was miserable at it. It is hard to judge how those rings will move, especially if there is a wind blowing.

Hi Berniemom,

We will be on the same cruise - we have a roll call started on the roll call board, but only 10 people so far. There are 2 group cruises on this cruise - Dental Assosiation & Mormons. Glad to see there is another CC'er on this cruise!

Kris

I've only played Shuffleboard on Orbitz.com

(and I'm not that good at it there either....)

:o

Maybe we can convince HAL to install a curling court on their next series of ships? I've always wanted to try hurling - I mean curling

;)

Never played shuffleboard before, but it always loked like fun. I've usually found the shuffleboard area busy. I''d like to try next cruise. Doesn't appaer to be a seniors game at all...just a leisurely game to enjoy.

Archived