I made $$$ from my cabin pics!!

I posted my pics of the cabins on the Monarch on www.cruisedeckplans.com and was paid for them!! I made $8.50:)

If you have pics of your cabins, or ANY cabins, you should go there and post them!! Also, if you have a certain cabin and need info on it you MAY get a picture of the exact cabin if you are lucky! The more people that share their pics there the more people will have GREAT info when it comes to researching specific cabins! So give them your pics, make a few dollars to cover your bar bill, and help future cruisers know what their cabin REALLY looks like!

Mazel Tov, Nathan! I know that *I* really enjoyed your pictures. Now even more people will get to see them, and YOU can go out and buy............one drink??? ;)

:D....

Interesting, I see they used 3 of my cabin photos from Webshots.com - without my knowledge. I just went to webshots and changed the albums from "public" to "private" viewing after reading this thread. I really enjoyed sharing them, but I don't believe I like my photos sold without my permission.

rascallous,

just out of curiousity, how did you determine they were your pictures?

Very easy. They are not generic photos of a clean room. My shoes on the floor, the image on the t.v. screen, the safe open with my camera strap hanging out, the sunset and balcony as a background (very pretty purple sunset), etc. They are definitely my photos.

They are posted on the cruisedeckplans website listed by the OP. (AOS 9318). The last three are photos I took, but did not submit to Cruisedeckplans.

I do like the Cruisedeckplan website and it provides a neat service. The only problem I have is with their offer to purchase cabin pictures. Some enterprising soul then goes to an online photo hosting service and picks and chooses all these photos without permission and sells them to cruisedeckplan. While it is no great sum of money per photo, I can see it getting out of hand.

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect there is some copyright violations and theft of "intellectual property"

FYI - I have seen my photos on at least a half dozen other cruise information websites, so this is not unique to

cruisedeckplans.

PS - I am sure there are opposing viewpoints. I hate to post and run, but I have a flight to catch, so feel free to flame away.

Interesting, I see they used 3 of my cabin photos from Webshots.com - without my knowledge. I just went to webshots and changed the albums from "public" to "private" viewing after reading this thread. I really enjoyed sharing them, but I don't believe I like my photos sold without my permission.

I also was all ready to send my photos and noticed that they are already on that site without my permission.... not happy about that.. I too will be changing to private.

I have also noticed others on cruise critic referencing my photos I have no problem with that but am not pleased that others are using my photos for profit.. will be emailing the site.

Emmy

Hmm. Not internet savvy enough to know but I guess there are people out there making a buck wherever they can and they figured this scam out.

No good deed goes unpunished so I guess that was the risk when putting them on the site for viewing. Sorry that happened to you guys.

I think that it would be great if the CC owner/director would have a specific category solely for pictures of cabins taken by passengers. Not the generic brochure cabin pictures. I think we all cruise often enough and together we could probably get just about all the cabin pictures anyone would want to look at.

There are categories for everything else here, why not cabinpics?

It appears that you have to join and pay a fee for viewing the pics of the staterooms. I say we ask for a category here on CC boards and add our own pics. Sure someone may steal them and sell them, but at least we won't be paying to go view them when we can see them for free here.

Hmm so if that website is using pics without permission, perhaps those that have joined and paid to view the pics should give out the userword and password so everyone can go view them for free! That will teach them to use pics without the permission of the person that owns the pic. Of course that would make us as bad as they are.

Annieeee

Curious how people think you can post something on the internet and expect it not to be looked at or even used, with or without your permission? Just be realistic folks, it's the internet. I search webshots constantly while researching, lot of folks cabin pictures are on that site. Pretty sure that's Jimbo's wife in a chair on a balcony in the Radiance e1 shots :D Don't upload things you don't want used. Even if you copy write a picture it won't stop many from using it. If you want protection you need to use a service that has the software capability of disabling the famous "right click" on the picture to steal it. The technology is out there.

And as always... Read the fine print....

2. Grant of License.

When you post Content to Webshots you choose whether to make that Content "Public" (meaning that such Content will be included in our Community section and will be available and searchable to anyone who visits the Webshots site) or "Private" (meaning that such Content will be available only to those who have been given the URL address for such photos and will not be indexed or searchable in the Community section of Webshots). By posting Public or Private Content to Webshots you grant Webshots, its affiliates and partners a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, sub licensable license to use, reproduce, create derivative works of, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, transfer, transmit, distribute and publish that Content for the purposes of displaying that Content on Webshots. In addition, when you post Public Content to Webshots, you also grant us a license to distribute that Content, either electronically or via other media, to users seeking to download it through the Webshots Desktop or for purposes of other services provided by Webshots and to display such Content on Webshots affiliated sites, including but not limited to other sites owned and operated by CNET. This license shall apply to the distribution and the storage of Your Content in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed. You may remove Content you have posted on Webshots at any time. When you do remove your Content, the license described above will automatically expire.

Sake: I think it's great you got paid for yours!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Are you all members of this site and that is how you can find your pictures listed? Or am I looking at it wrong? Are these cabin pictures available to the public? Or only paying registered members?

Curious to see what all is on there, as I post pictures to Webshots as well.

Thanks

A~

Don't have to be a member, Just click on the ship, pick a cabin category and scroll down below the generic floor plan picture. Not pictures for everything so if you don't see one category try another.

BonVoyage

Dawna

And our cabin pics (b501) from Dawn Princess area also on the site. Can't wait to see how long it takes for our Sapphire Princess cabin pics to show up. (Just posted last week to Webshots).

Yup, just found a couple of MY pictures of cabin 7206 on Mariner. I understand that the public albums are available for anyone to download pictures, which doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that I don't want someone making money off my pictures, saying they're their pictures. This is directly from Cruisedeckplans.com: "By submitting your pictures to us you agree that we can use them on our website and that you are the owner of such pictures." Sure, it's only 50 cents a picture, which isn't much, but it's the principle of the whole thing. Just my honest opinion...

Yep. I found a couple of my pictures there too. They are of cabin A431 on the Diamond Princess. There is even one of my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I took a picture of the bathroom. I really don't mind people looking at my pictures or even downloading them for their own use. That's what I put them on webshots for. However, I do resent them downloading them and selling them to another website. I imagine someone made a pretty penny from our pictures even at just $.50 per picture.

I haven't read all the guidelines for webshots but I would think that in downloading someone elses pictures from the site you are agreeing to use them for you own person use and you agree not to sell them as if they were your own.

WOW! :eek: I had no idea this would all come from my little post:o I will say I do not have my pictures on webshots...they are on smugmug.com which MAY make a difference. Also, they not only paid me for the submissions they gave me photo credit!!:D As someone who does ALOT of photography and some submissions it's RARE they give you photo credit so I couldn't be happier with them.

I think the problem is more with webshots.com then with cruisedeckplans.com. I assume they do searches to find pictures and when they find them they post on their website for free. But I don't see how anyone is "making money off your pictures" when they are just copying them to their website. It's not like they are selling your pictures to the highest bidder. I do agree, though, that they probably shouldn't use pictures of people without their consent, which by submitting my pics I did give. Just my 2 cents.

It's simple courtesy. If it's not yours don't claim it is. I once had someone suck down an entire 300+ page website of mine and try to pawn it off as theirs. My coyright notice was still on the bottom. I had to hire an attorney. I have since removed the site. It made me sick to do it.

I've even found some of my blog entires posted as someone else's. I never manage to find this stuff myself, other people let me know. That's why it's all dated and copy righted. Shame I have to police my stuff like that. I mean really, there's a lot better stuff out there than what I do.

Archived