Vancouver Info if needed

Our peak summer tourist season starts to wind down right after Labour Day, the first Monday of September, and is pretty much done by the end of September. We celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada on the 2nd Monday of October which this year is the 11th. Sooo, I see no upward pressure in room rates going into the fall and I would probably wait until late August or even early September. However as a strategy, you may want to secure accommodation now, so long as any deposit is fully refundable, and then continue to watch for a better rate.

Our peak summer tourist season starts to wind down right after Labour Day, the first Monday of September, and is pretty much done by the end of September. We celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada on the 2nd Monday of October which this year is the 11th. Sooo, I see no upward pressure in room rates going into the fall and I would probably wait until late August or even early September. However as a strategy, you may want to secure accommodation now, so long as any deposit is fully refundable, and then continue to watch for a better rate.

Thank you.

We'll be on Via Rail's Canadian on the 11th, so would be nice if they put on a special Thanksgiving spread. Might have to take my Vegemite for the occasion.

Hi,

Thanks for the offer of help! My partner and I are thinking of taking a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. I was hoping to spend a few days getting to know Vancouver. Most regrettably, my partner was involved in a DWI offense in 1999. From what I understand, he may not be able to enter Canada at the end of the cruise. What remedies are available? I have been reading up on "Deemed Rehabilitated" status, but have only found a lot of conflicting information. Will he even be allowed to board the ship in Anchorage?

Thanks again!

Hi,

Thanks for the offer of help! My partner and I are thinking of taking a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. I was hoping to spend a few days getting to know Vancouver. Most regrettably, my partner was involved in a DWI offense in 1999. From what I understand, he may not be able to enter Canada at the end of the cruise. What remedies are available? I have been reading up on "Deemed Rehabilitated" status, but have only found a lot of conflicting information. Will he even be allowed to board the ship in Anchorage?

Thanks again!

There are often a couple of threads on this topic started every year and everyone has an opinion. From everything that I have read and know, when an offence such as a DWI has occurred more than 10 years out and if the person is has undertaken what the court prescribed in terms of counselling, has had a clean record for 10 years, then they are deemed "rehabilitated" in the eyes of Canada. I can also tell you that the Customs officer you first meet, who in this case will be in Vancouver, has a great deal of discretion has to he/she permits entry. Given that the offence occurred 10 year out it is not likely to come up and you are not required to venture the information, I think that it is most unlikely that it will come up. If it does I would recommend having all the paper work related to the offence and rehabilitation for viewing by the officer.

Now if you want 100% assurance you can contact the Canadian consulate office closest to your home. link

Some time ago on one of these local threads about the Olympics someone was asking about whether you would be able to access the Athletes Village and I stated at the time that the area was fenced off and there was no public access - well that has changed somewhat - the fencing for the most part is gone but there is still some security in place - more to stop vehicles from entering but I didn't see anyone manning them when I biked through there the other day - but you can walk or bike through most of the site - keep in mind that there is still some construction etc going on but the main public area by the old red "Salt" building is opened and many people were enjoying it.

As for the Whistler Athlete's Village - while the fencing is gone the site remains closed to public access until later this year - I was able to drive to what was one of the main parking lots during the Games but you won't get much closer and that was because I knew where to go - there is a sign saying viewing area but you won't see the bulk of the development from there.

Cheers and have a good Sunday everyone.

Dennis

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

Hi I am thinking of booking Radiance of the seas. Vancouver to Hawai

11 nights in September there are four sea days the rest cruising around the Hawain islands is it worth booking a Balcony seeing the type of weather for this time of the year would a outside with picture window deck eight or nine be ok thank you

If a balcony fits you budget than by all means go for it. On short cruises we will often book an ocean view but once much over 7 days we want a balcony, 11 days without one may prove a bit long. You may not use it a lot on the way over but you will love it once in amongst the islands. But regardless of what you choose....do it!

What is the approximate charge for a taxi from Canada Place to the dock for the ferry to Victoria?

A taxi is going to be around $60+ - depending on time of day and traffic. The Massey Tunnel is notorious for causing tie-ups when there's an accident. I know because I live in Tsawwassen and do a daily commute into Vancouver.

You might be better off checking out a limo for a flat rate.

What is the approximate charge for a taxi from Canada Place to the dock for the ferry to Victoria?

$70-80, perhaps a little more. Better options are the coach http://www.pacificcoach.com which is about $45 downtown to downtown (including the ferry), or take the local subway/bus systems on each end which works out to be about $20/ea (subway/bus+ferry+bus). The transit system is really a lot easier than it sounds, takes a very similar amount of time vs the coach, and 1/2 the price; it's my choice.

From Vancouver to Victoria by local bus/subway

1. Skytrain Canada Line - downtown to Bridgeport Station; then #620 bus Bridgeport to Tsawwassen Ferry terminal ($5)
  2. <BC FERRY> ($14) -- take an odd hour ferry to be on the biggest/nicest vessels
  3. #70 bus to downtown Victoria ($2.50)

We are looking for a hotel for 2 adults. No kids. We will be staying for 3 days/2 nights. We will be traveling the 2nd week in Sept. We won't have a vehicle so we need something close to transportation. We don't want the cheapest place but we don't want to break the bank. We are looking for something different(several people have said to stay downtown?) We will want to do the Stanley Park, Grouse Mtn and whatever else we can find.

The next thing we need are all the different ways we can get back to Seattle.

Thanks in advance.

fishstix, Vancouver hotel rooms tend to be north of $200/night so they are not cheap. My very best advice would be to try Priceline or Hotwire. While I don't have experience with Hotwire, I do have with Priceline and use it a lot. I would go to Priceline's, bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown and then 3+* and start bidding at $75...you may have to give it a rest for a day or two but you should get a very good room in an excellent hotel for something just over $100. Any hotel at this level will be very good, in a safe location, close to transportation and about a $10 cab fare to Canada Place. For instance I got the Hyatt Regency for under $120 and there are reports of people getting it for less than that.

As for going back to Seattle your options are:

obviously flying

renting a car and driving

Amtrak...they have two trains a day

Quick Coach http://www.quickcoach.com/index.htm

For those of you lucky enough to be in Vancouver on Canada Day July 1, 2010 the Olympic Cauldron will be lit for the day and you will be able to get right up close to it - no fencing to keep you way. It will be lit from 9AM to 11PM - no word on whether it will be lit on a more regular occasion BUT be forewarned they are expecting huge crowds around Canada Place and the Convention Center as we celebrate our national day.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Ut;

As I read the press release on the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron, the Canada Day festivities and the fireworks, I also read that the roadway in front of Canada Place was going to be closed for the day. There are no cruise ships in port on July 1st so the road closure will not be a problem, but do you know if those who may be arriving by car to take in some of the events will be able to access the parking structure at Canada Place?

Edited by Putterdude

Sorry PD - can't help you with that one but the bulk of the activities are at Jack Poole Plaza so perhaps you might be able to access the Canada Place one.

Here's a link to the City of Vancouver road closures for Canada Day in downtown - there is also a contact person:

http://vancouver.ca/roadahead_wa/ProjectOverView.aspx?ID=4146

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

While riding around the Stanley Park Seawall this afternoon I noticed that the Shuttle is running so I checked at one of the stops and it is now $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for kids - people were riding it so I guess some people don't mind the cost.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, that the station I would get off at and it is just a slightly downhill walk of about 2 blocks. By all means if you can handle your luggage by yourself you can easily walk to Canada Place from the St. Regis; it is slightly downhill and about 6 blocks or less. If you think of it when you come back would you post your thoughts on the St. Regis, I am not sure that we have ever heard from anyone who stayed there.

I'm back from our cruise and wanted to follow up on this request.

We did walk from Vancouver City Centre station to the St. Regis and from the St. Regis to Canada Place. Very easy as long as you can handle your luggage.

The St. Regis is a very, very lovely little boutique hotel. The decor is definitely not your standard beige walls and cheap furniture. In fact, I spent far too much time trying to figure out the wall treatment in our room!! It was a sage green leather type wall covering.

The free breakfast was good, mostly typical continental breakfast foods but with an added cooked to order eggs, hash browns and bacon.

The location was convenient for us; although the area to the east looked to be on the questionable side. Maybe a local could verify or was it my imagination?

I booked online and paid rack rates - less a 10% discount for AAA. More than what I might have been able to get thru Priceline, but I felt comfortable knowing my exact hotel. I would recommend the St. Regis.

Thanks for the report - the St Regis has been loving restored as you indicated and the area just to the east of the hotel has faced it challenges the past few years - as an older part of the downtown core it does need some upgrading but generally is safe to walk during the day - if you go too far east you will be entering the cess pool called the downtown east side.

Cheers

Dennis

I have the map for you already :o

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.279481,-123.107429&spn=0.011101,0.033023&z=16

Thanks for posting this map! :) I was able to determine how to best connect downtown from YVR and which Canada Line station is walking distance to The Sutton Place where I shall spend my pre-cruise nights.(Answer: Vancouver City Center). The distance to Canada Place from the hotel seems to suggest a taxi, however. Would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.... T

I have the map for you already :o

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.279481,-123.107429&spn=0.011101,0.033023&z=16

Thanks for posting this map! :) I was able to determine how to best connect downtown from YVR and which Canada Line station is walking distance to The Sutton Place where I shall spend my pre-cruise nights.(Answer: Vancouver City Center). The distance to Canada Place from the hotel seems to suggest a taxi, however. Would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.... T

It is a downhill walk of about 8/9 blocks so if you can handle your luggage great otherwise it is a $10 cab fare max.