Vancouver Info if needed

Ellen, thanks for the bus money information. Guess we best get some money from an ATM and then get change. We will only be there two days and would only take bus once or twice a day so day pass probably not the best bet for us.

Again thanks for the information.

Jill

Ellen, thanks for the bus money information. Guess we best get some money from an ATM and then get change. We will only be there two days and would only take bus once or twice a day so day pass probably not the best bet for us.

it's not quite as bad as described

US coin is interchangeable w/ C$ coin here in Canada, no one cares. Use US quarters if you want...

Ticket machines at Skytrain stations take credit and debit cards (including foreign ones), although they don't take US$ cash.

it's not quite as bad as described

US coin is interchangeable w/ C$ coin here in Canada, no one cares. Use US quarters if you want...

Ticket machines at Skytrain stations take credit and debit cards (including foreign ones), although they don't take US$ cash.

. . . though might be a bit heavy and bulky carrying around $2.50 worth of US coins per one-way, one zone ride. They don't have many one dollar coins in circulation and no twos that I know of.

Jill

Jill, here's a link to Translink regarding fares: --> http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

You could also just go into any bank and get a roll of Loonies or Toonies ($1 or $2 coins), then as Scottbee mentioned use some of your own US quarters to supplement the difference? They'd be easy to use up just buying coffee or snacks.

Ellen and Scottbee, thanks for the bus information. We will be arriving on Sunday and leave Monday so probably will not be able to pop into a bank for the loonies.

So if fare if 2.50 although it might be a bit heavy if I understand your advice we could just put in 10 US quarters and the bus driver would smile and wave us back to a seat. Since we will probably only take bus few times (Grouse Mountain to hike up the Grind) and ferry over to Granville (assuming ferry is the way to go) will be easier than wasting time trying to convert money.

Jill

Is there a duty free shop at the port (Vancouver)where Canadians can buy wine to take on board? I think we can take one bottle of wine each without paying a corkage fee. We are on Carnival Spirit to Hawaii next week.

Thanks,

Tony

There is no duty free shop at the Port.

If you are starting your public transit trip with a ride on either the Skytrain or Seabus (our name for our subway/Light rapid transit system) then there are ticket machines in the stations that willt ake your credit card and issue you a ticket thus eliminating the need for coins. Only need exact change when buying the ticket on a bus from the driver.

• 1 month later...

Flying directly to Vancouver is obviously the most convenient however it also tends to be the most expensive.

Many people find it more economical to fly into SEA then either take Amtrak, Quick Shuttle, Bolt Bus or rent a car and drive.

It tends to be one of those things that you need to check on yourself....you have lots of time so watch for an airline sale.

Seattle and Vancouver are only about 120 miles or 4 to 5 hrs apart depending you care to travel.

Quick Coach has a number of bus runs a day from SEATAC to Vancouver. A one way fare is $57.00. Here is a link for your convenience. http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

Bolt Bus does currently offers 4 trips a day but you do need to get from SEATAC to the bus station at 5th & King in downtown Seattle. https://www.boltbus.com/

Amtrak is very popular among cruises including myself ... but there are only 2 trains a day in either direction, however they do offer some buses. http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

Renting a car and driving is going to be all over the map but plan on a cost of $100 to $150 plus fuel.

You really need to do some checking on your own and see how these modes match up with your expectations, budget and itinerary.

We will be disembarking in Vancouver next Sept. I have done a search and seen that taxis will accept US$. Will restaurants and gift shops also accept them or will we need CA$ for that? If so where is the best place to change money upon arrival?

We used US Cash and credit cards when we were in Vancouver, Nanaimo and Victoria last month. Credit card at some gift stores (which then came back on the statement a little bit higher) -- but cash was the same as the marked price or taxi ride price. We got a CAN$10 as change at one place and used it towards a shuttle ride in Victoria. Just put together the CAN and US$ to come to the quoted price.

We used US Cash and credit cards when we were in Vancouver, Nanaimo and Victoria last month. Credit card at some gift stores (which then came back on the statement a little bit higher) -- but cash was the same as the marked price or taxi ride price. We got a CAN$10 as change at one place and used it towards a shuttle ride in Victoria. Just put together the CAN and US$ to come to the quoted price.

Thanks. I was hoping not to have to change money before the trip.

Hello and thankyou for this post with so much information We are going to be in Vancouver next July We are wanting to go whale watching. Can you recommend a tour operator as one of our friends has a bad back so doesnt want to be bounced around:confused: Thankyou Nicole:rolleyes:

Unfortunately there really no way to go whale watching in the open water and expect a smooth trip, my back is the reason I sold my last power boat. Whale watching out of Vancouver does not have a high success rate however these people do offer a shuttle from Vancouver to their location in Steveston, about 45 minutes from Vancouver.

http://www.seabreezeadventures.ca/

I need some help! We will be arriving by train from Whistler on 5/31/13. Is there any hotels close to Canada Place that offers shuttle service from the train station? I don't even know which train station. I will probably lugging way too much luggage.

The Rocky Mountaineer - Whistler uses the North Vancouver station. There are no downtown hotels that are going to shuttle you from the station to the hotel. However I would check with the Rocky Mountaineer people about a transfer....failing that you are going to have about a $30/$35 cab fare from the station to most hotels in the downtown/Canada Place area.

I need some help! We will be arriving by train from Whistler on 5/31/13. Is there any hotels close to Canada Place that offers shuttle service from the train station? I don't even know which train station. I will probably lugging way too much luggage.

Firstly, just a reminder that the Whistler train arrives in North Vancouver; not at the normal Vancouver train station. A taxi should be approx 20$ (depending on time of day) from there to downtown; and I'm unaware of any downtown hotel that would offer a free shuttle from there. it really depends on what time the train arrives. If it's in the afternoon, and you're trying to go against traffic on the bridge during rushhour; you might want to double that cost. The other option is a quick taxi ride to Lonsdale Quay; and take the Seabus back to downtown.

I do note that some places , such as Whistler Mountain's website, talk about a free transfer [back to downtown I presume] on the Whistler train, so I would get in touch with the operator and ask about it

• 2 weeks later...

We're considering staying at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver at the END of a cruise. Do they have pretty early check in times? Any additional info about the Food Fair (Food Court?) that is nearby and how near is the train to the International Airport (and cost?). Can you walk to the station and would it be easy to travel with one bag and two carry-on bags? Any info would be greatly appreciated.