Review - Mayfield Falls with A-Z Planners

Richbutnot

This is a double review of Mayfield Falls and A-Z Planners. We sailed on the Carnival Conquest the week of April 30th. Cost for this full day excursion was $40 per person.

We met A-Z in the port terminal 30 minutes after docking. There were 3 other couples for a total of 8. We loaded into a van with plenty of room with our driver Clive. The drive to the falls from the port was about an hour and 15 minutes. The drive was scenic and Clive was a very safe driver. The road is narrow and rough, but we were never nervous with him driving. We were passed by several cars going up the mountain, which was fine with me.

Mayfield Falls was great, the highlight of the cruise. We locked all our stuff in a locker and headed up the falls with a guide. Also along was a helper carrying a waterproof bag for glasses, cameras, etc., and a guy taking digital pictures. The falls is really a large stream with many small falls, rapids, whirlpools, etc. The water was mostly about two feet deep, with several deeper pools. Water temperature was perfect, not too cold, hot too warm. The guide led us to all the nice spots for pictures and pointed out the safe places to step. We got behind one small fall, got massaged by falls, and even swam through a small cave (if we wanted). They took a few pictures with our camera and video camera, but we were leary of them getting wet. We spent about almost two hours in the water and then walked back on land. We were the only people in the water until just before we left when a couple of other groups showed up.

They had the digital pictures ready when we got back. They wanted $40 for a CD of 24 pictues of just the two of us. The pictures came out great and we ended up paying them $30 for it. We were the only one to buy the pictures, and one other couple said they lowered the price to $20 for them. We changed in the clean changing rooms and headed back to Montego Bay.

Clive took us to Margaritaville for lunch and then to City Center for an hour of shopping. Thank goodness we had him, because we had to fight our way through at least a dozen taxi drivers to get in and out of Margaritaville. City Center is a two level shopping disctrict near the pier. We didn't go upstairs, but the other couples said they were very pushy up there. The shops downstairs weren't as bad.

Hope this helps. I'll check back for the next week or so if you have any questions. We highly recommend both Mayfield Falls and A-Z Planners.

One funny side note - all of us on this tour also booked the same excursion with Captain Marvin the next day in the Cayman Islands.

Thanks for the review! We are planning on going there in Sept. If you could, could you compare the activity level or level of stamina needed for the Falls to Carnival's 1-4 activity levels that it assigns to the shore excursions it offers. I want to make sure others in my group can handle this. Thanks in advance.

I would give it a 2 for level of difficulty. The walk up the stream involves stepping on and over large rocks, but the guides are very helpful. They show you where to step and hold your had if need be. We are in our 40's and a little overweight, but we had no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review! We are planning on going there in Sept. If you could, could you compare the activity level or level of stamina needed for the Falls to Carnival's 1-4 activity levels that it assigns to the shore excursions it offers. I want to make sure others in my group can handle this. Thanks in advance.

We were at Mayfield last week and the 'hike' up the stream and through the falls themselves and back again is pretty easy (DW and I are mid-50's). It was raining so there were some slippery spots and you had to take care on the return walk. The guides are extremely helpful in pointing out exactly where to step (and not step) and in giving you a hand in tough spots. To be honest, the most difficult part was the walk back up the hill to the parking lot where the vans/buses are located. Going down it was easy, going up was a chore, especially if you carrying bags, etc.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Joepeka on everything! The falls were easy but the hike back up to the van was VERY difficult for hubby and I. I do have asthma but hubby does not. I would not do Mayfield Falls again because of that incline back to van! If anyone has breathing or heart problems this "hill" could be a big problem. We are considering Y.S. Falls on our trip 12/06. Anyone done both that would know if there are any inclines like that hill at Mayfield Falls?

My family and I are scheduled for the YS falls and tubing with A-Z next Wednesday. If you don't mind could you tell me what you tipped for the day? There will be 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 teens. I want to make sure I bring enough $ but I don't want to carry too much as I am not comfortable with Jamaica and the terrible things you read about.

Thanks!

Pick up at pier at 8am and go to mayfield falls. Stay until 12pm and then drive to negril beach(1 1/2 hr), stay at beach for two hours, then leave to mo bay at 3:30. Is mayfield falls enough for a day outing? Can you play in the falls after the tour? Can you sit around and drink red stripe and eat? Thanks

Pick up at pier at 8am and go to mayfield falls. Stay until 12pm and then drive to negril beach(1 1/2 hr), stay at beach for two hours, then leave to mo bay at 3:30. Is mayfield falls enough for a day outing? Can you play in the falls after the tour? Can you sit around and drink red stripe and eat? Thanks

Our A-Z Planners tour to Mayfield left Mo Bay ~9:30AM and arrived at the Falls ~10:45. The hike/tour ended at 12:30 and the return drive got us to a jerk restaurant in Mo Bay for lunch about 2PM. It is really up to you and your companions on the tour as to whether or not you stay at Mayfield Falls and have a few beers and food - it is available and you can certainly do that. Our group chose not to as we wanted to get back to Mo Bay and have lunch, go to Margaritaville then return to our ship, which was scheduled to leave at 5PM.

Gem 1017, What are you paying AZ Planners to go to YS Falls. We are a group of 10 wanting to go there. Could you post (How Much) and let us know if you liked YS Falls and how it went? Thanks, Rlyans

Please email Belinda @ a-zjamaicaplanners.com and tell her you have a group of 10 who would like to go to YS Falls and where ever else you might enjoy. She or Georgeen will respond with a group per person price. Let her know I recommended you. She has recently given us a group rate that I don't have access to here at work. She is a great tour provider.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Rlyans,

We paid $50 pp. The drive there was a little hairy but we all had a good time. We were late getting off the ship because we were waiting for an announcment that we could leave...never happened. A-Z was waiting for us in the terminal. There had been another family booked with us but they sent them on because they didn't want to make them wait in case we didn't show. I felt terrible about being late but it turned out to be great. They had another driver (Mark) ready to go when we got there and we had him all to ourselves. He did what ever we wanted to do. The falls were beautiful and VERY cold! We all had a great time. If you have any specific questions please feel free to e-mail me at m_gunnels@hotmail.com

How much was the food at mayfield? Did you have to wear water shoes, or could you just go barefoot?

We did not eat anything at Mayfield so I can't comment on food and drink prices. Yes, you will need water shoes - I'm not even sure if the guides will allow you to do the tour barefoot.

Archived