What is best way to go to Victoria from Vancouver for the day?

cal101

DH and I will arrive in Vancouver on Thursday, May 18th precruise and will spend time that afternoon sightseeing in Vancouver. On Fri we would like to go to Victoria and need help/suggestions on what is the best way to do a day trip? Should we go via a tour such as Grey Line (which appears to be 13 hrs) or on our own via the ferry? If we go on our own what is best way to get to the ferry, what should we see/do and how do we get around when we get there? We are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle.

Will appreciate any information you can give.

Frankly, I never recommend Victoria as a day trip, just so much to see and do. If you continue with this plan, then flying is my only recommendation.

Grayline runs tours with little time for much. Butchart Gardens is a top choice. Pacific Coach lines http://www.pacificcoach.com offers tranportation to the Inner Harbour. http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

I always take a car over.

I second BQ's vote for flying. 4 years ago, we booked a float plane flight to Victoria to take a whale watch tour. The flight was a treat in itself...like on the show Wings. I don't remember the name of the company, but it was right next to Canada Place. Took less than an hour and was very scenic. It was our first experience on a float plane. Our kids loved it.

We did a day trip from Vancouver 3 summers ago with a rental car. We took the ferry from Tsawwassen to Victoria, visited the Royal British Columbia Museum (very interesting), walked arund the waterfont, and drove out to Butchart Gardens in the afternoon. While an overnight stay is preferable, it can be done as a day trip.

DH and I will arrive in Vancouver on Thursday, May 18th precruise and will spend time that afternoon sightseeing in Vancouver. On Fri we would like to go to Victoria and need help/suggestions on what is the best way to do a day trip? quote]

We will be up there pre-cruise in a few weeks as well. Here is the one problem: the airport in Vancouver is a little bit out of town (as are most airports), and to try to disembark from the plane, get a taxi or rental car, get situated in your hotel and try to do a quick tour of Vancouver will be a pretty tall order. But....if you're so inclined, Vancouver is a wonderful city, as you'll find. Quick tour: Granville Island (you can spend all day there), Stanley Park, dessert at Death By Chocolate (several locations in town), and then a nice salmon dinner. Ah.

But Victoria is a treat as well. Again, trying to take it all in over the course of a day is going to get you really tired!

A few years ago, my family and I went from Tsawwassen (Vancouver's ferry terminal, about 25 miles out of town) to Sidney, which is about 20 miles north of Victoria on BC Ferries (www.bcferries.com). It's about an hour-and-a-half trip and very lovely. Since I haven't flown to Victoria, I can't comment on that, but if you have time, the ferry is quick, efficient, (relatively) inexpensive and the scenery is great.

For a quick Victoria tour: Butchart Gardens; take a carriage tour of the inner harbor (the Empress Hotel and the government building are gorgeous at night) and maybe a whale-watching tour. Once again, a nice restaurant for dinner.

After that, you might need the cruise to slow down! Best of luck.

Jerry

Our cruise returns on the morning of June 18th to Vancouver and our flight is the morning of June 20th. We are renting a car one-way to get to Seattle. Does it make sense to Ferry over to Victoria early afternoon on June 18th and ferry over to Port Angelas late afternoon/early evening on the 19th? Will we need Ferry reservations? We have a reservation at the Fairmont Empress.

. Here is the one problem: the airport in Vancouver is a little bit out of town (as are most airports), and to try to disembark from the plane, get a taxi or rental car, get situated in your hotel and try to do a quick tour of Vancouver will be a pretty tall order.

For clairfication- the Victoria flights do NOT leave from the international airport, they leave from right by Canada Place via float planes.

Our cruise returns on the morning of June 18th to Vancouver and our flight is the morning of June 20th. We are renting a car one-way to get to Seattle. Does it make sense to Ferry over to Victoria early afternoon on June 18th and ferry over to Port Angelas late afternoon/early evening on the 19th? Will we need Ferry reservations? We have a reservation at the Fairmont Empress.

I would not wait until the afternoon for getting to Victoria- if this is a priority. I would be on the first available ferry you can get. I've made the 10am but would suggest you book the 11am since you are probably not familiar with Vancouver.

Yes you need reservations. It is a LONG drive back to Seattle from Port Angeles, you may want to also consider Ancortes?? It is doable. But determine your touring priorities and go from there.

If you are off to Victoira for sightseeing for a day taking the 11am ferry is too late to leave you any time to do any sightseeing in Victoria. When I do Victoria in a day I get up really early and take the 9am ferry (as of May 24th they convert to summer schedule which means a ferry every hour so you can then opt for the 8am ferry) whcih means I have to be at the terminal by 7:15am whcih in turn means we get up around 6am. We enjoy breakfast on the ferry. (to be assured of getting on this sailing I pay the $17. reservation fee and make a reservation) We then arrive on the Victoria (VAncouver Island) side at just before 11am and head strait to Buchart Gardens. We will get there about 11:15 - 11:30 and enjoy a wonder around. I find that generally takes us up to about 1pm when we can either opt to eat in one of the 3 restaurants located int he gardens or head for Victoria.

If Craigdarrough (sp) Castle is on your list (I always stop there) head over there and get there before 4pm as it closes.

Now I head to the Inner Harbour / core area of Victoria & park in the underground garage at the convention centre attached to the Empress Hotel.

We how wander around the Inner Harbor - take a horse draw carriage ride and tour - snoop thru the many interesting shops.

Sometimes we enjoy Tea at the Empress Hotel - if you have never indulged this is definitely something worth trying. But bring your appitite as they serve you lots of food! However if you plan to do this alot over an hour.

The Museum is also right there a you can spent a couple of hours there.

I then head back to the ferry.

So it i realistic to disembark from my cruise ship (at Ballantyne pier) and get to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal for an 11 AM sailing? Seems awful tight to me. I would feel more comfortable making the noon sailing I think.

Crossing time is about 90 minutes. That puts us at Swartz Bay around 1:30 PM. 20 miles from Swartz Bay to Victoria - I guess we will geet to Victoria around 2:30 PM or so.

The ferry to Ancortes leaves at either 11:20 AM or 6 PM. 11:20 AM is too early and 6 PM is probably too late - we would not get to our hotel near the airport until 11 PM!

The ferry to Port Angelas leaves at 3 PM. We should be able to get to our hotel by 8 PM or so.

I guess the question is if it is all worth it for a 24 hour stay in Victoria? Or should we just head straight to Seattle on Sunday and spend our extra night there? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice...

So it i realistic to disembark from my cruise ship (at Ballantyne pier) and get to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal for an 11 AM sailing? Seems awful tight to me. I would feel more comfortable making the noon sailing I think.

Crossing time is about 90 minutes. That puts us at Swartz Bay around 1:30 PM. 20 miles from Swartz Bay to Victoria - I guess we will geet to Victoria around 2:30 PM or so.

The ferry to Ancortes leaves at either 11:20 AM or 6 PM. 11:20 AM is too early and 6 PM is probably too late - we would not get to our hotel near the airport until 11 PM!

The ferry to Port Angelas leaves at 3 PM. We should be able to get to our hotel by 8 PM or so.

I guess the question is if it is all worth it for a 24 hour stay in Victoria? Or should we just head straight to Seattle on Sunday and spend our extra night there? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice...

I could make the 11am ferry, but if you have doubts, then go later. But overall, this isn't the best option for a lot of touring and plenty of your time is in transit. Only you can decide what is right for you. But Seattle has plenty to see and do. I also like driving Whibley Island then the ferry to Everett, very scenic drive as well.

Archived