Boston Taxi and Hotel

Tom O.

Two Questions:

Can someone give me an idea of what it would cost to take a taxi from Logan Aiport to the Boston Common area?

Also I need recommendations of where to stay in the Boston Common area. It needs to be reasonably priced. I found a hotel called the Club Quarters in Boston. It is about $200 per day. That is about the most I can afford. Anybody have any experience with this hotel? Other recommendations?

Tom O ~ Not sure about the price of a taxi BUT you could take the T from the airport to downtown Boston. I believe you would take the Blue Line. I have never done it as I am just 20 minutes away in a suburb, so I take the Logan Express.

Do you HAVE to be near the Common? The Park Plaza, The Ritz, The Westin. Check out Hotels.com. If you don't NEED to be right downtown, it's very easy to get around and stay a little out of the city, or at least on the outskirts?

Try a Package. Sometimes you can do pretty good with a room, breakfast etc included.

Good luck!

Should be no more than $20-25 in a cab, but I'd second the T recommendation. Blue line from the airport stop is $1.25 to Government Center (or to the Aquarium, which is near Faneuil Hall), or take the Silver Line to South Station or many other stops in town for the same fare.

$200 for a Sheraton quality hotel in a touristy area is a decent price. If you're willing to Priceline it, you can probably do better, otherwise you're risking staying in a sketchy area where you'll have to cab it to any sites. The other hotels that Renie listed will probably cost much more (although the Park Plaza might work out $$ wise). There's also a Marriott Courtyard on Exeter Street, which is 4 blocks from the Public Garden which might price out for you.

Tom O ~ Not sure about the price of a taxi BUT you could take the T from the airport to downtown Boston. I believe you would take the Blue Line. I have never done it as I am just 20 minutes away in a suburb, so I take the Logan Express.

Do you HAVE to be near the Common? The Park Plaza, The Ritz, The Westin. Check out Hotels.com. If you don't NEED to be right downtown, it's very easy to get around and stay a little out of the city, or at least on the outskirts?

Try a Package. Sometimes you can do pretty good with a room, breakfast etc included.

Good luck!

Thanks, I am also considering just staying in a hotel near the airport and visiting the Common area. I will be spending two nights in Boston and then rent a car to go elsewhere. One advantage of the airport hotel is that I will be near all the aiport car rental agencies. I was looking at the Holiday Inn.

I am a little nervous about jumping on a subway system that I know nothing about, especially if I have luggage. That is why I like the idea of a cab. The distances look to be very short, but then if traffic is bad a taxi fare could add up.

Traffic does get bad in that area. Depends on when you arrive. Avoid the rush hour times and you would be "ok". There is a Marriott near the North End and Fanuel Hall the hotels along the common will be a bit pricey as mentioned.

I'm staying in Boston before my October cruise for a couple of nights and am having the devil of a time finding a reasonably priced hotel--apparently October is the high season. But after reading this thread my question is: any suggestions for van/shuttle services from the airport to hotels? Any idea of cost?

Thanks,

I guess Boston is just very pricey. I gave up on trying to find a hotel near the tourist area (Boston Common). I have decided to stay at the Holiday Inn near the airport. It is $200 and has a free shuttle to the airport. I am not sure about a shuttle to the pier, you might want to call them and ask. I believe the pier is not that far away.

Hilton has a Doubletree Boston Bayside that is a little way out of downtown (about two miles) and it's within walking distance of the JFK museum ... however - they have a shuttle that takes you to their downtown location (and that is only a few steps from the Metro). Also they have a free airport shuttle. I believe the hop-on-hop-off tourist bus stops at (or near) the Bayside. We're booked in June and the rate was only $118.15 per night ... that's a bargain for Boston.

Like gxchan, I will be visiting in October when rates are higher. I checked Doubletree, and it will be $189 per night in Oct. The Ramada is only $135, but it is too far from the center of town for me. Same for Hampton. But, I did discover another choice tonight. Its the Boston Logan Airport Embassy Suites. It is $210 (for two queen beds). That is $10 more than I was expecting to pay with Holiday Inn, but the rooms are nicer, and it includes a cooked breakfast. It is also right next door to the Dollar Rent a car, which currently has the best rates for Boston. It is also closer to the tourist area - important if I take a taxi. Their shuttle will take you to the aiport or to the nearest subway station.

October is "Leaf Peeper" season. Many come to the area to see the leaves. Go figure. I can't get them up off the ground fast enough. ;)

Boston is not cheap, but I don't really know about any cheap in town shuttle services, sorry. Taxis are plentiful and can had by your hotel for you. To get to the Common the T is pretty efficient in getting you around and Boston is a very "walkable" city. Good luck.

It is also closer to the tourist area - important if I take a taxi. Their shuttle will take you to the aiport or to the nearest subway station.

I would not consider this to be close to any tourist sites

mqserver.dll?e=0&GetMapFromSession.1=SessionID:446cd4b6-012a-ffff-02b6-532d-00096b89cc42,DisplayState.1:0,72,1,Authentication.2:,,,-768705579,

You're on the other side of the tunnel from the city and all the tourist areas, not a cheap cab ride (but not a bad subway ride). Just wanted you to be prepared. The tourist areas on this map are in the bottom left, near where it says "State Street"

The Hampton Inn, similarly, is not in a tourist area, but it is on the "right" side of the harbor, so a much cheaper, non tunnel, taxi ride. Neither are particularly in neighborhoods to go walking around in.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Tom,

First, I want to stress, I have never stayed at the Club Quarters in Boston, however, I once stayed at a hotel in Boston that was formerly a "club" (as Club Quarters MAY be), and found the room to be minuscule -- in fact, it was probably smaller than the staterooms on most ships. Perhaps the fact that I was 8 months pregnant at the time had something to do with it, but I found I was unable to get to the "mini-size" bathtub without climbing up onto the sink in order to get past the bathroom door to get to the tub (obviously, not an easy feat for someone who was 8 months pregnant :( ). Therefore, perhaps the size of the room at Club Quarters is something you may want to investigate further.

I just looked up the location of Club Quarters on the Internet and see that it is in the Financial District. If you're there on a weekend, that part of town will be like a ghost town, however, during the week it will be bustling with activity.

The Financial District is just a short walk to The Quincy Marketplace at Fanueil Hall; and probably about a $6 - $8 cab fare to The Boston Public Gardens and Boston Common; and, about the same to the North End and The Freedom Trail (although, both areas are still within "walkable" distance from the Financial District). I would not expect the cab fare from the ship to that area to be more that $20 - $25.

Have you looked into any hotels in Cambridge? (Just on the other side of the Charles River.) The Hyatt Regency (has great views of Boston) and is near MIT; and, the Hotel Sonesta would be my second choice, that hotel is close to the Museum of Science. You may find that you'll get a lower room rate in Cambridge, but still have the amenities of a better hotel without having to resort to a Holiday Inn.

MC

Thanks, Nitemare & MCarlye,and everyone else. I have decided that airport shuttle service is important. And I am trying to keep the price to around $200. I have given up trying to stay in a tourist area, instead I will use some sort of public transit (subway or taxi) to get there from the hotel.

I have made a reservation at the Embassy Suites at the airport. There is nothing near the hotel but airport stuff, but I figure I will only be sleeping there while spending the rest of my time downtown. This hotel has two room suites with complementary cooked breakfast. They have shuttle service that will take me to a subway station or airport.

This is not what I really wanted, but it will do. I am keeping my eyes open and looking for other deals. I can cancel my reservation at any time.

Tom

Oh, I had a heck of a time finding this thread again! I'm glad there was activity so I could come back.

Tom, I found a Holiday Inn (with good reviews) in Cambridge for $160 per night; the transportation is supposed to be good, too. Also, there is a Howard Johnson's next to Fenway for $155 per night. There is also a Holiday Inn at 69 Boston St. for $160 a night, 6-7 blocks from the subway--it is closer to the port and provides a shuttle to the port, as well as to/from the airport for free. The 69 Boston St has some not great reviews and some folks have said the area is dicey, others disagree. Both Holiday Inns require internet booking and payment in advance.

MC, Thanks so much for the info re Club Quarters. I just found out my firm gets a discount at all of them and was considering staying at the one in Boston--I know the rooms are small but I don't need a lot of room. However, the info on the area being emptied out during the weekend may be a deal breaker for me.

The search continues!

Tom which cruise are you taking? I'm on NCL's Majesty leaving on Oct 8.

Tom which cruise are you taking? I'm on NCL's Majesty leaving on Oct 8.

I confess, I am not actually cruising on this trip. I am flying into Boston and will spend a couple nights there, then I am going to rent a car and visit friends in Connecticut. I realize that I am only supposed to have cruising related questions here, but I trust the people here. And maybe people who are cruising can use the information on this thread.

I do want to go on a New England Cruise someday, but not this year.

There is also a Holiday Inn at 69 Boston St. for $160 a night, 6-7 blocks from the subway--it is closer to the port and provides a shuttle to the port, as well as to/from the airport for free. The 69 Boston St has some not great reviews and some folks have said the area is dicey, others disagree. Both Holiday Inns require internet booking and payment in advance.

That's near the border of Dorchester and South Boston. Good location for the Bayside Expo center, nowhere near any tourist attractions. Not REALLY close to subway, either.

Nitemare,

Thanks for the info. I wondered when they said it was only 6-7 blocks from the subway (some blocks in my city can be very long!). I've decided to book the Holiday Inn in Cambridge.

Archived